E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Belt ripping

10-18-2024, 01:33 PM   #1
woah_e92
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 bmw 335i  [9.50]
Belt ripping

I been having this belt problem for the longest now I’ve gone threw at least like around 8 belts in the past 6 months I can’t figure out the issue I’ve changed coolant hoses oil filter housing gasket and I changed the AC compressor idler pulleys belt tensioner . The only sound I can hear is coming from power steering pump I’m gonna change it soon but I wanna see if anyone else would know. Surprisingly the belt hasn’t been swollowed I’ve always been able to take out all do the belt
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2024, 07:49 PM   #2
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Well, that's totally NOT normal. For reference, I replace my belt (and tensioner and pulley) about every 40 - 60K miles and the belt looks almost as good as new when I replace it preventatively.

I guess I would start by making sure that you're properly seating the belt on the various contact surfaces. It seems like you've fired the parts cannon at this by replacing stuff like the AC compressor, and you're anticipating the PS pump, but really, I'd try to check to see if components like the AC compressor, PS pump and the alternator are spinning freely before just replacing things. My feeling is that in general you'd notice problems related to those components (like, PS not working, AC not working, etc.) before the belt shredding off. I have no idea what you suppose the connection between OFHG and/or cooling hoses and shredded belts might be.

It may be time to step back, take a breath, and assess your troubleshooting process. The belt is failing at an alarming rate. The first thing to check is to see what might be mechanically interfering with the belt and that you're installing these things properly.

Another thing (in this regard) to check is to observe whether the belt is coming into contact with front subframe. This can sometimes happen if the engine mounts are bad. Again, something to LOOK FOR before throwing more parts at this.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2024, 11:17 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Dude... I have gone thru a total of 3 belts in nearly 400K miles combined between my 2 E90s.

Stop throwing parts at it and make sure you troubleshoot properly.

Step 1, ensure you are using the updated serpentine belt routing, not the one that originally came on the car from factory. I think it turned out that the belt would rub on the chassis and cause it to break/wear prematurely.

Step 2, like mentioned above make sure nothing is stuck most components should be able to be moved really easily when spun by hand. Replacing components like AC Compressor is simply not needed unless they are failed.

Step 3, ensure the installation of the belt is properly done/aligned. The belt should be PERFECTLY aligned with every pulley, if they don't line up perfectly there is something wrong there and you need to check it.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:39 AM   #4
woah_e92
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 bmw 335i  [9.50]
Thanks a lot guys It’s much appreciated been stressing out because of it maybe I do just need to take a deep breath
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:00 AM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

1st, get a belt gard, those are 15$ and can save your engine.

common causes : oil leak, refrigerant leak, damaged power steering pulley (on rwd only), bad tensionner, jammed alertnator-powersteering pump-pulley, bad pulley alignment, wrong belt, wrong belt routing.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 06:57 AM   #6
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Check the power steering pump pulley to see if it’s damaged. If it is damaged it may be due to worn/broken engine mounts causing the power steering pulley (and belt) to contact the subframe. There was an issue with the early E90/E92 subframes which was revised in 2009 I believe to prevent this.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 12:09 PM   #7
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Check the power steering pump pulley to see if it’s damaged. If it is damaged it may be due to worn/broken engine mounts causing the power steering pulley (and belt) to contact the subframe. There was an issue with the early E90/E92 subframes which was revised in 2009 I believe to prevent this.
I read many places that say the "early 2007 335 models" had this problem with the front subframe design where the power steering pulley could contact it, allegedly covered under warranty. These early N54s also used a slightly different belt routing that BMW updated. But what are "early" 335 models?

What's your build date? Mine is a 4/07 and I have the updated belt routing (probably done long ago) and while I have a bunch of original maintenance records I don't see anything about subframe replacement. My engine mounts are somewhat worn but there's still a good 1.5" of clearance between the PS pulley and my subframe.

There was an issue I read about with the power steering pulley itsel, just being plastic. The plastic would degrade causing the pulley to crack, even if it didn't contact anything.

Maybe it's just that? But like everyone else says, take the belt off and inspect all of the pulleys. How's the crank pulley? Any excessive wobble?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:59 PM   #8
Matik380
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 LCI

If your model has an alternator clutch, it may be damaged.
Appreciate 0