E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Diagnosing Potential Turbo/Boost Problems - 335i

Today, 01:08 PM   #1
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Diagnosing Potential Turbo/Boost Problems - 335i

Hi all,

I've been running my car as a daily driver with the inkling that it's not quite running right, so time to see if I can finally get to the bottom of things.

I think something is not quite right with the turbo/boost side of the engine, what I've noticed is:

- I can no longer hear any of the telltale turbo noises. Any 'hisses' and 'psst' sounds when you let off the throttle have completely gone. I thought perhaps the BOV might be passing, a seal gone or a hose somewhere has a slight split?
- Car feels slow at the lower rpms and then all of a sudden takes off, as if its a heavily turbocharged car. Scenario : overtaking at motorway speeds in 7th now feels like I need more throttle than I once remember.
- lumpy engine whilst stationary.

A lot of these issues became apparent after covid lockdowns where the car was left unused for months and months on end, its never been the same again.

I think there is either a very slight leak with one of the hoses, something is up with the blow off valve or maybe the start of larger issues with the turbo itself.

Annoyingly however, there are no error codes with the above to point me in the direction of things to investigate however it really feels as though something's not quite right with it and that its not as strong as it used to be.

So, does anyone have any ideas of how can I go about troubleshooting the above or are any of the issues I'm experiencing known issues?
Car is now at 100k miles and everything is original as far as I know so I think its reasonable to assume things are needing to be replaced (just not sure what!).

For turbo boost/BOV issues do I need to find someone that can measure boost pressures and specifics on how the turbo is operating? I found someone who said they have the equipment for that but now I'm getting no reply from them when trying to arrange that.

All suggestions welcome,
Thanks
Appreciate 0