E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > why do the turbo wastegates flappers fail?

Today, 02:12 PM   #1
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

why do the turbo wastegates flappers fail?

Hello all, when i was doing my oil pan gasket and baffle install, i had a good opportunity to check my turbos for the dreaded N54 rattle.. and yes, they both have worn out flapper bushings/rods giving side to side play.

now, i've had a B16G powered 1str gen DSM with over 100K miles
and i've had an SRT4 with over 260K miles. and neither of those two turbo cars had flapper issues.

SO why does BMW seem to have this issue? cause factory turbo's even tuned ( both my SRT and DSM where "tuned", SRT Diablo sport, DSM was DSMLink)
should last the life of the car, if not longer.

is it the angle the arm is actuated from causing the failure? cause i noticed that the arm starting angle on boost controlled internal wastegates are closer to a straight up and down, instead of about 30 degree angle off center away from the vacuum/boost valve that closes it.

What are your thoughts? those of you that did a flapper replacement and re-adjust, did you change the angle and rod length and have better results for longevity compared to mimmicking factory arm angle?
Appreciate 0