E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Crankshaft Guard Seal/ Belt tensioner ticking

10-20-2024, 07:51 PM   #1
Titi0701
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335is

N54 Crankshaft Guard Seal/ Belt tensioner ticking

Hello everyone, I have a 2011 335is and I’ve been having a bad belt tensioner problem for weeks and just got the chance to install Fcp Euros Acessory Drive Belt kit and their Billet Crankshaft Seal Guard to have the peace of mind. After the installation I took it on a test drive to make sure I did everything correctly, and after the car got up to temp I started to hear a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I may think that the crankshaft guard seal is the issue but I have yet to tear everything down again. Has anyone had a similar issue with their Crankshaft guard and/or belt tensioner? I’ve added a video of the noise I am hearing. YT:N54 Ticking Noise after repair
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #2
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titi0701 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a 2011 335is and I’ve been having a bad belt tensioner problem for weeks and just got the chance to install Fcp Euros Acessory Drive Belt kit and their Billet Crankshaft Seal Guard to have the peace of mind. After the installation I took it on a test drive to make sure I did everything correctly, and after the car got up to temp I started to hear a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I may think that the crankshaft guard seal is the issue but I have yet to tear everything down again. Has anyone had a similar issue with their Crankshaft guard and/or belt tensioner? I’ve added a video of the noise I am hearing. YT:N54 Ticking Noise after repair
see attachment, when you went over the belt area, sounded like an idler to me. and i believe it may be this one.

if you have a stethoscope, you can take the bolt cap off and place the end on the bolt and see if the noise is generated from this pulley, a really long screwdriver or extension works too, you can move it around to other components and see if maybe an accessory components is failing as well.

Either way harbor freight has cheap stethoscopes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1