E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 335i (N55) fires up and stalls even with gas pedal (Research and fixes tried)

Today, 04:50 PM   #1
dfrogers
Rep
Drives: E90 335i (N55)

E90 335i (N55) fires up and stalls even with gas pedal (Research and fixes tried)

Hi All,

Having an issue with my E90.... the car starts and runs but after a period of time dies and then will no longer start after. It cranks and fires but instantly dies unless I put my foot on the gas but even then it dies.

I had issues with it stalling and dying and previously whilst driving (awesome BMW thanks) noticed a gas smell so figured I'd replace the pump and regulator in the tank. These are both done and after replacing I am still having the same issue.

I have also checked the battery cable, recall was done and it was done correctly....

I have tried unplugging the MAF and I get the same issue, same symptoms as above.

Car is JB4, FBO

Codes as follows:

29D0
29D2
36BB
28BA
28B0
28AB
2C70
28D4

My next move is a smoke test, I have checked around the vacuums and it all seems solid but I cant think of anything else. Not going to replace the HPFP until I have tested everything else.

1. Could it be coild and injectors?
2. Could it be bad gas (Really???)?
3. HPFP maybe
4. Those codes all suggest its an intake pressure issue, could it be a faulty sensor?
5. Is there anything I need to do on the DME, reset or something? I have a MHD so could flash it to stock and see what happens?

Appreciate your insights all, this is seriously painful at this stage.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:11 PM   #2
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

you probably need to recheck your JB4 install. if you would look up the codes, you'd see that some are electrical like "2C70" - Boost pressure sensor, electrical: Short circuit to earth. Looks like there might be some wiring or JB4 issues. The car would absolutely not run with no MAP sensor.
      Today, 05:18 PM   #3
dfrogers
Rep

Thanks man, going to remove it entirely and see how the car behaves. Might just use the MHD by itself.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:18 PM   #4
dfrogers
Rep

Ok I checked some of the cables and honestly it’s messy, my MHD is struggling to connect which is making me think there is a problem with wiring. Further when I switch the ignition on (after clearing codes) limp mode triggers without the car starting or running. It then throws all of the codes so it has to be electrical. Ground straps and removal of the JB4 and check of the wiring are next steps.

Then if that doesn’t solve it I’m assuming DME might be in trouble…..

Any thoughts here are welcome, thanks chaps
Appreciate 0