E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xDrive (330d) "Misfiring" and ABS + 4x4 lights

Today, 08:41 AM   #1
joosttromp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330xd

xDrive (330d) "Misfiring" and ABS + 4x4 lights

Hi All,

I have a E90 330d xDrive and from time to time, it would feel like it misfires, but it's a diesel so it really shouldn't be doing any of that. Around the time i started noticing this behavior, i regularly scanned for error codes, searched the internet including these forums to no avail.

Recently though, something failed, "Braking and driving stabilisation failure", with the handbrake, ABS, traction control and 4x4 lights illuminated.
Name:  IMG_6051_2.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  230.0 KB

At first I was able to clear the error, but it very soon returned. and then switching the engine off, a gear can be heard skipping. This was the actuator motor driving the clutch in the transfer case. Took the actuator motor out, removed its gearbox assembly and found this:
Name:  IMG_6158_2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  220.5 KB

After being worried I needed to fork over 800 euro for a new actuator motor, I've frantically searched the internet and found these guys!
https://klifex.ua/en/remkomplekt-ser...00-27107546671
You can order directly from their website and you should also be able to find them in ebay
https://www.ebay.com/str/repairkits
New wormwheel 45 euro's shipped to Netherlands. There's a video on their website how you have to grind the old wormwheel off with an angle grinder and then press the new one on with an hydraulic press. result here:
Name:  IMG_6234_2.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  258.1 KB

Now when refitting the motor to the transfer case, flushing the transfer case oil and resetting the codes, everything was perfect again.

Now I mentioned the "misfire" and/or hicking feel in the throttle, because that had also been resolved, drove it for couple of 1000 km's and never felt it again. I had NO IDEA where to look for that initially. My guess was that the wormwheel started skipping teeth already before. which caused this behavior.

I hope This helps anybody out there!
Cheers,
Appreciate 0