E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > do any of you NOT wear seatbelts in the car? (or have family or friends who don't?)

Today, 10:13 AM   #23
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

if you respect your life and the lives of others, something is there for your safety...............used it. otherwise its just stupid

I grew up in Jamaica. before there was a law mandating seatbelt. i ALWAYS wore one, whether I'm driver or passenger. I Need to be around and safe for as long as i can
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:15 AM   #24
Coupsoup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Not wearing seatbelts is like peak boomer mentality.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:49 AM   #25
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Really just don't like wearing them. As simple as that. Not a boomer, though.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:51 AM   #26
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Sister in law is bad about not wearing them. She says it's habit because growing up in New York they didn't have to. I have to make a special point to not drive until she's buckled in because she will try to hide it and then act like I'm a jerk because of it. She really doesmt want to wear it because she's overweight and uncomfortable.

One time my mother in law insisted that there was no way Florida required seatbelts when I was a kid because New York is more progressive than Florida and so they had to be ahead of Florida for things like this. It was pretty wild to see just how brainwashed people can be.
Appreciate 1
SnowCover127.50
      Today, 11:00 AM   #27
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Xdrive GC

Garage List
I have to remind myself to not put it on when I drive to the mailbox. Always wear my seatbelt, there is no reason not to. If you die because you didn't wear it then that's your stupid.
I will say there is ONE exception to that statement. My Dad told me of a time from back in the 70's when he was hit hard in a T bone accident and it launched the bench seat into the intersection with him in it still. If he would have been wearing his seat belt that day he wouldn't be here and I wouldn't exist. Thinking of the logistics of how it happened it sounds unlikely and maybe he was blowing smoke up my ass, but that story has always stuck with me as well. There are plenty of morons out there.
I make sure everyone is buckled up before I leave. It drives my Wife crazy. Her Sister likes to not wear seatbelts. She does in my car or we don't move.
2022 M850i Xdrive Gran Coupe (Twilight Purple) | 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback (Navarra Blue) | 2021 Audi S4 (Quantum Gray) | 2018 BMW M5 (Singapore Gray) | 2019 Audi RS5 (Mythos Black) | 2020 X3M Comp (Black Sapphire) | 2019 Audi RS3 (Mythos Black) | (2018 STi Type RA (Black) #391/500) | (2018 Audi RS3 Nardo Gray) | 2015 STi Base (Black) | (2013 WRX Base (Black)
Appreciate 1
SnowCover127.50
      Today, 11:00 AM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I’m sure things were different 30 years ago, but you have no excuse not wearing one today. And frankly I view it no different as riding without a helmet. If you want to take your chances by all means; perfect example of Darwinism or as kids call it these days ‘fk around and find out’.
      Today, 11:24 AM   #29
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I’m sure things were different 30 years ago, but you have no excuse not wearing one today. And frankly I view it no different as riding without a helmet. If you want to take your chances by all means; perfect example of Darwinism or as kids call it these days ‘fk around and find out’.
People riding without helmets really bothers my wife. She hates it when I point out she was ok with her sister not wearing seatbelts until she met me.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:33 AM   #30
jkoral
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Have always worn my seat belt with one exception - the back of yellow taxi cabs in NYC 30 years ago. I always felt like it was wrong -- many didn't have them and with the shiny vinyl rear seats, we would be sliding and thrown about during normal taxi driving.

This discussion reminds me of this clipping:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:17 PM   #31
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I've been wearing seat belts since way before it was a state law here. Not just for safety, but it helps me feel more connected to the vehicle.

I also installed safety hammers in all our vehicles. It doesn't mean you might not burn or drown in your vehicle but it gives you a better chance if you're not pinned and have your wits about you.
Attached Images

Today, 01:54 PM   #32
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Decades ago, in my late teens to my mid 20's, I didn't wear a seatbelt, a lot of people didn't. During that time, I was in 3 accidents, all 3 were on rainy days.

1st - (driver) - broke the steering wheel with my face destroyed nose which required surgery, nose more symmetrical now
2nd - (driver) - broke the windshield with my head, which went partway through the windshield, 50 stitches in forehead, eyelid, cheeks and both ears.
3rd - (passenger) - cracked the windshield with my head and dented the door out with my shoulder.

I started wearing a seatbelt after the 3rd one, haven't had another accident since.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 02:45 PM   #33
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

This thread has same kind of energy as loose animals in the vehicle, junk on your dashboard / rear window shelf, legs up on the dash.

The car stops but things inside keep moving. You aren't better or stronger than physics.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:54 PM   #34
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

I remember when the seatbelt law was imposed in NY. I already had my drivers license and I didn't like being forced to wear one. However after having a crash and hitting the windshiled, I've worn one ever since. But I still never worn one in the backseat which was stupid. Now no matter what, myseld and everyone else in the car must wear it or I don't move the car. Funny how things change as you get older and realise the risks. I do remember as kid in the 70s sitting in the front and not wearing a seatbelt.