E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Typical coolant temps deleted and tuned engine

Today, 11:34 AM   #1
pa944red
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Typical coolant temps deleted and tuned engine

Good afternoon all. I recently purchased a 2011 335d that was deleted by the previous owner. In true used car fashion it developed a coolant shortly after the purchase at the thermostat housing. I am on my second replacement as the first developed a crack and leaked.

Now that it is getting colder in PA I wanted to see how long it was taking to warmup and have found on days below 70 degrees F the car never fully warmups while monitoring the temps on bimmer-tool.

Can anyone with a deleted car chime on what their coolant temps are in colder weather. I have a 35 mile commute over an hours time and in that time the car never makes it to 180 degrees F and can stay as low as 140 degrees F when coasting down hills. I know this sounds like a faulty thermostat but I'm having a hard time with two defective ones in a row. The first was a BMW unit and the second was a duralast unit.

Unfortunately, I did not log the coolant temps with the original thermostat so I have nothing to compare the new readings to.

Thanks for any help and insight!

Last edited by pa944red; Today at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:44 PM   #2
lnxguy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive.

EGR cooler in place or has that been completely deleted as well? EGR cooler has a thermostat as well, if that fails open you'll never get your vehicle up to temp..

If you're seeing 140f (60c) you've definitely got something going on, and that points towards the thermostat (If in fact the EGR cooler is deleted)

Coolant temps deleted or undeleted are the same, only time you'll get them to really skyrocket is if you're doing a regen on a stock car.
      Today, 04:29 PM   #3
pa944red
Registered
Rep

Thank you for the response. I will verify that the cooler has been completely deleted, but I am fairly confident it has been. I just find it hard to believe I bought two defective thermostats. Is there a source that seems to be better than others for replacements or are there brands to steer clear of?

This is my first diesel and with it being deleted I'm not sure what is "normal".

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:39 PM   #4
Master_Chase
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

My dads 335d seem to go through thermostats as well. You could but a cover over the grill during the winter as another option.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:58 PM   #5
pa944red
Registered
Rep

EGR cooler is removed. Just completed a 42 mile drive on country roads that is far from flat and the high temp was 158 and low was 134. Outside temps were around 55 the entire trip.

Car has been running in the driveway for 20 minutes and the temp went from 158 to 171. Sure does sound like another thermostat.

Thanks for the responses.
Appreciate 0