E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Difficult cold start and 2A43 code

Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #23
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPE7 View Post
Hello, I’m encountering a very similar issue to what’s described here. OP was this ever resolved?

I recently replaced my valve cover (and gasket) as well as my eccentric shaft sensor. I did this partially because I was experiencing a bit of a rough idle and I suspected I may be buying oil because of a failed PCV valve.

After this job I ran into this 2A43 code when cold starting my engine and I occasionally get a misfire on cylinder 4. I’ve ruled out the ignition coil and I have no reason to believe that the coil connector is the issue. My next thought it to try another valvtrinic motor I have available but if this fails maybe I’ll give spark plugs a go.

I should also note that I did reset the motor limits using a fix well code reader.

I’d appreciate any input I can get. Thanks!
Yes, I fixed it by replacing the eccentric shaft sensor. Initially I didn't get any ESS related faults, just that 2A43 Valvetronic Thermal Overload Warning Threshold fault code. After numerous attempts at starting and driving I eventually got some ESS codes; though I don't remember which ones, it's been four years since then.

You indicated that you recently replaced your ESS, so you might have a different issue. Can you confirm that your eccentric shaft moves freely when it's supposed to? There's a menu in INPA where you can request it to move and get the position. If your ESS is good and reporting the correct values and you're getting that fault, you might have a faulty valvetronic motor or maybe even a binding eccentric shaft.

Last edited by lowrydr310; Yesterday at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0