E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cheaper to rebuild crashed BMW or swap motor to used one?

Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #1
nuke21
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Cheaper to rebuild crashed BMW or swap motor to used one?

My BMW got hit yesterday. Guy ran a red light and broke my quarter panel, bumber, hub and shock/strut. Driver's airbag and curtains deployed. Looking under the hood it looks like only the oil cooler lines were ruptured.

I only had liability, the guy that hit me didnt have insurance. He is an illegal alien without a drivers license or insurance so a friend of mine that is a lawyer said trying to sue this guy, or even track him down again, would be a waste of time.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or even advice on what my next step should be. There is some frame damage but nothing too horrific. I could probably pull it out on my garage. Technically I think it would be considered totalled and I understand if I pull the frame out it wont be 100 safe to drive but I dont have much option right now since I barely have any money.

Im debating on if I should just pull the frame out as best I can, then pull the airbags from a junkyard and then I believe I would have to get the module reset in order to start the car again. My motor is in real good shape that is why I dont want to just "cut my losses". My other option would be to find one online with like a blown motor and just pull and swap the motors. I don't know how practical that would be and if I would have to reprogram a bunch of the modules in the new car or not. I have a 09 328i e90 with the SULEV engine
I can't remember if that is called the M54 or M52? But I'm wondering if I have to find another totaled car with the same SULEV computer in order for it to work or what. Im trying to not get too nad typing this still thinking that this guy did this to me. Thankfully im not hurt but trying to have a whole family now use one car, and having my wife take me to and from work during times she should be sleeping so she has it for my daughter is just so frustrating right now.

Thank everyone in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by nuke21; Yesterday at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.45]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
My BMW got hit yesterday. Guy ran a red light and broke my quarter panel, bumber, hub and shock/strut. Driver's airbag and curtains deployed. Looking under the hood it looks like only the oil cooler lines were ruptured.

I only had liability, the guy that hit me didnt have insurance. He is an illegal alien without a drivers license or insurance so a friend of mine that is a lawyer said trying to sue this guy, or even track him down again, would be a waste of time.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or even advice on what my next step should be. There is some frame damage but nothing too horrific. I could probably pull it out on my garage. Technically I think it would be considered totalled and I understand if I pull the frame out it wont be 100 safe to drive but I dont have much option right now since I barely have any money.

Im debating on if I should just pull the frame out as best I can, then pull the airbags from a junkyard and then I believe I would have to get the module reset in order to start the car again. My motor is in real good shape that is why I dont want to just "cut my losses". My other option would be to find one online with like a blown motor and just pull and swap the motors. I don't know how practical that would be and if I would have to reprogram a bunch of the modules in the new car or not. I have a 09 328i e90 with the SULEV engine
I can't remember if that is called the M54 or M52? But I'm wondering if I have to find another totaled car with the same SULEV computer in order for it to work or what. Im trying to not get too nad typing this still thinking that this guy did this to me. Thankfully im not hurt but trying to have a whole family now use one car, and having my wife take me to and from work during times she should be sleeping so she has it for my daughter is just so frustrating right now.

Thank everyone in advance.
Glad you're okay, and the situation sucks :-/

Motor you have is the N51... basically a N52 with some added on environmental controls. I believe the basic engines are compatible, but the intake manifold is different. It might be plug and play into a N52 car, but not the other way around. ECU will be different as well, but maybe not a challenge.

If you can get replacement parts for cheap and you can do the work, everything you've said sounds doable and I would say go for it. But the more you have to pay someone else to do, the less of a good option it becomes.

Car is probably worth $1,500 to a scrapper, or even to someone who wants to rebuild it as the title is still clean. What is the mileage on it?

I'd really assess the damage and be honest with what you can do and can't, then decide.

Fender, bumper, and hood in red are going to be rare, unlikely to randomly find in your local yard. So repainting something will need to be factored in as well.

How is the rest of the car? Sports package, heated seats, by chance a manual? The more of those a yes, the more unique it is and worth returning to the road!

Good luck, man... sucks.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

That sucks, sorry to hear about it but definitely glad there were no serious injuries.

IMO? Start parting it out and use the funds to buy another. If there's anything you really love on yours you can keep that and swap that to the new one.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #4
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Sorry to see this and the important bit is that you are OK.

If that frame was not bent, I'd say restore it, but that will be a sketchy car with that damaged even for your own safety in case lightning strikes twice.

I like the advice above to part it out.

These engines are pretty reliable, so to find a low mileage one in good shape with a blown motor will be rare.
Regarding airbags, besides the module reset, you will also need new or rebuilt seat belt buckles. They have igniters that fire in case of an accident.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #5
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.45]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Sorry to see this and the important bit is that you are OK.

If that frame was not bent, I'd say restore it, but that will be a sketchy car with that damaged even for your own safety in case lightning strikes twice.

I like the advice above to part it out.

These engines are pretty reliable, so to find a low mileage one in good shape with a blown motor will be rare.
Regarding airbags, besides the module reset, you will also need new or rebuilt seat belt buckles. They have igniters that fire in case of an accident.
And headrests in LCI.
Appreciate 1
eljay1768.50
      Today, 08:44 AM   #6
Mike K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
So sorry. In Illinois we have uninsured motorist coverage which would address this incident. That motor looks like maybe to happened awhile back?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:43 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, sorry to hear this happened to you, but your car is far beyond economical repair. The left-side strut tower is kinked. The engine is shifted right at least over 2 inches. Even the coolant reservoir is displaced. The engine cradle is severely damaged. The core support is bent, which means the radiator is compromised. The knuckle broke, which put a shit load of crash energy into the steering rack. I get it that funds are tight, but why did you not carry uninsured motorist coverage in this day and age?

And I have to ask, why did you not have the police come and arrest the illegal alien?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0