E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2009 328xi E90 N51 SULEV. HELP ME PLEASE I have 2 problems 🙏

Today, 03:02 PM   #1
maxcsr
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi Sulev. M Packag

Garage List
2009 BMW/328xi  [0.00]
2009 328xi E90 N51 SULEV. HELP ME PLEASE I have 2 problems 🙏

Hello eveyone,

I got code 2A00
I need to pass NY state inspection. My mechanic told me the sec air injection pump isn't working. OEM brandnew costs around $400. But on amazon I got better deal but it seems to be after market link👇

Secondary Air Injection Pump 11727557903 Replacement for B-M-W 128i 2008-2013 328i 2007-2013 328xi 2007-2008 328i xDrive 2009-2013 2.0L 3.0L GELUOXI https://a.co/d/9kcm0oR

Will this work and gets me to pass inspection? It costs $62 on amazon i find it very weird its very cheap. Can I just go with this one? And how much labor should cost to just replace that part?

==================================================
ANOTHER ISSUE I NEED YOUR HELP WITH PLEASE
================================================== =

I have had my engine mount broken with the bracket and replaced recently I posted on this forum when that happened and thanks for the help I got.
This time I have something different.

My front struts has leaked out completely a while back and never changed it. But after having the engine mount and its bracket broken after hitting the pump. I remember my car's handling was not good.

After fixing the mount I was told by mechanic to just buy new front tires and do an alignment because my front tires has worn prematurely. He said changing the strut isn't necessary since he said it seems to be working (even though it leaked out completely but I hear no noise).

My question is;
Can i just ignore the front struts? And just buy new front tires and do alignment? My car feels a little off when driving no mishandling or noise but I feel like the front end isn't 100% stable to the ground. I don't feel good driving fast because I'm worried its not strong enough.

If you recommend I change the front struts can I use this complete front strut assembly
BMW Strut Assembly Kit - Bilstein Touring 22214294KT
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ing-22214294kt

Or will be better option to buy this one instead?
Bilstein B8 Performance Plus
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mbly-35-142485

Thank you so much for guiding me to the right direction and helping me through this I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:27 PM   #2
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

BMW buys most of their parts from outside suppliers, who stamp BMW on the part.

If you're concerned, buy the pump from FCP Euro.

Regarding struts, I'd find a new mechanic, as what he said is BS. If you actually need new front struts, your car is safe as long as you don't drive it!

Also, call FCP and ask about the strut kits. When I replaced mine, I used the Sachs inserts from FCP. Sachs is OEM.

Find another mechanic, find another mechanic, find another mechanic, or make burial preparations.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:41 PM   #3
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.45]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I'd ignore the struts for a minute and focus on getting it to pass smog/get it registered. But then replace them. You'll need to replace both as a pair. You will probably want to do the rear shocks as they're just as old. It's a bit of work as you have to have spring compressors (you can borrow from Autozone or O'Reilly) and the right tools. Get Sachs or Bilstein Touring, not random stuff from Amazon. Don't mess with the B6 or B8 for a city car, they are performance oriented and probably unnecessary if you're just trying to get it running. Here's the whole kit I'd recommend: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ing-22136572kt

I'd take a chance on the Amazon air pump. If it works long enough to get you through the test, it can fail the next day and at least you're good for a year or two (in CA tests are very two years, don't know about NY). You'll need to clear codes and then drive through a couple cycles to fully clear from memory. About 40 miles or so. Don't drive right over to the test after you replace it.

Maybe look this one as at least it has some positive feedback https://www.amazon.com/11727557903-S...7MF/ref=sr_1_1

Please watch this video on replacing the air pump... you 100% should not pay another human to do this for you:

Last edited by StradaRedlands; Today at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:01 PM   #4
maxcsr
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW/328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I'd ignore the struts for a minute and focus on getting it to pass smog/get it registered. But then replace them. You'll need to replace both as a pair. You will probably want to do the rear shocks as they're just as old. It's a bit of work as you have to have spring compressors (you can borrow from Autozone or O'Reilly) and the right tools. Get Sachs or Bilstein Touring, not random stuff from Amazon. Don't mess with the B6 or B8 for a city car, they are performance oriented and probably unnecessary if you're just trying to get it running. Here's the whole kit I'd recommend: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ing-22136572kt

I'd take a chance on the Amazon air pump. If it works long enough to get you through the test, it can fail the next day and at least you're good for a year or two (in CA tests are very two years, don't know about NY). You'll need to clear codes and then drive through a couple cycles to fully clear from memory. About 40 miles or so. Don't drive right over to the test after you replace it.

Maybe look this one as at least it has some positive feedback https://www.amazon.com/11727557903-S...7MF/ref=sr_1_1

Please watch this video on replacing the air pump... you 100% should not pay another human to do this for you:

Thank you so much for making this much less stressful to me.
Very nice and detailed guidance i appreciate it 🙏
Appreciate 1
      Today, 06:01 PM   #5
maxcsr
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW/328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
BMW buys most of their parts from outside suppliers, who stamp BMW on the part.

If you're concerned, buy the pump from FCP Euro.

Regarding struts, I'd find a new mechanic, as what he said is BS. If you actually need new front struts, your car is safe as long as you don't drive it!

Also, call FCP and ask about the strut kits. When I replaced mine, I used the Sachs inserts from FCP. Sachs is OEM.

Find another mechanic, find another mechanic, find another mechanic, or make burial preparations.
Thank you 🙏
Appreciate 0