E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Powdercoating in the SFV or LA area

07-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #23
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
Japan
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i

Garage List
anyone know anyplace in oc?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #24
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
my 2 cents...

A few key things to keep in mind when getting your wheels stripped and coated:

There should be no coating on the lug bolt seats, pilot bore, and mounting pad/surface. These key interface areas are normally designed coating free. You're chosen powder coater or finisher should properly mask these areas.

Paint on the lug bolt seat will compromise the ability of the wheel and bolt to keep the recommended torque. In principle, the torque is generated by the friction between the lug/bolt and the seat. Coating can act as a lubricant and cause over torquing/tensioning of the stud/bolt on the wheel. Over torquing/tensioning in turn could induce rotor warp.

The pilot bore tolerance is usually the smallest of the critcal dimensions on the wheel. Typically on the order of ±0.04mm. Paint on the pilot bore will cause the wheel to not seat properly on the hub, thus causing the tire and wheel to be off center and could cause vibration.

Paint on the mounting pad is a no no because the pad is designed with a bit of concavity. This helps the hub area to behave as a spring to keep tension on the stud/bolt and thus help maintain torque. You want this surface to be clean so you won't get false torque readings. Uneven build up on an edge could through off the alignment of the assembly and cause vibration or ride issues. Light sanding of this surface is acceptable to remove any over spray.

POWDERCOATER is totally right on about the stripping and coating process. With the tough environmental regulations in California, it is hard to find a reputable and knowledgeable coating or stripping vendor. A high temperature stripping processes can anneal the metal, thus undoing the heat treatment. You'll be best served with finishers and paint strippers that understand these import points.

An automotive wheel is probably the only part that is a safety, structural, and aesthetic item all at the same time. Maybe you don't plan on keeping the wheels around that long anyways since wheels are often treated as a fashion item, so you can throw most of this stuff out the window. If you do intend to keep your wheels for a while, don't cheap out on yourself.

- neoduffer (your friendly neighborhood wheel enthusiast)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #25
VeniVidiVicii777
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335i Coupe

You asked this a while ago, so it's probably taken care of by now, but here some info regardless.

I've power coated the rims of a previous car at Powder Craft in Sun Valley and really liked their work.

It cost me $300 for all four wheels but that's because the wheels were white and I wanted black, so they had to sand blast off the white, and then powder coat the black. In addition, the I wanted the lips to be untouched, so I think that made it a little more expensive as well.

Anyways, here's the info:

11185 Tuxford St
Sun Valley, CA 91352
(818) 504-9141

2008 335i Coupe|Montego Blue|Black Dakota|Sport/Premium Package|Navi - Lemon
2007 335i Coupe|Space Grey|Coral Red|Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Package|Navi - Sold
2007 335i Convertible|Jet Black|Saddle Brown|Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Package|Navi -
Current
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #26
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Here are just two diff sets of wheels from forum members. The M6 reps are matte black and the Breyton Spirit Reps are Semi Gloss(wheels have a little dust on the lip). Enjoy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0