E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Is my CA crazy? Or are they all like this? (its a long one, sorry)

10-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
nonimus
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E92

Question Is my CA crazy? Or are they all like this? (its a long one, sorry)

I have been following this forum almost obsessively since ordering my own 09 335i E92 at the start of september. I first want to thank everyone on this board for supplying me with such a vast amount of knowledge before I ever stepped foot in the dealership! Now on to my story....

When I first went searching for a decent deal/dealership, I was in the market for an 08' 335i coupe to lease. Unfortunately, the closest dealership with a 6mt left was in Chicago (and I simply refuse to drive an AT haha) and even that vehicle didn't have all of the options/color/trim I was looking for. I ended up ordering my 09' and was given an estimate using 08' numbers since 09' numbers were not out.

I basically had to call my CA five times just to get a production number and be able to track my vehicle (he of course never answers a phone call ). By the time this happened, I was already in the paint-shop stage. A week or so went by and my vehicle was at the port awaiting a shipping vessel. At this point in time, I knew the 09' lease numbers were available thanks to this site so I shot my CA an e-mail saying I would like to talk numbers and negotiate a deal. I figured my car would be here in at least 3 weeks or so and wanted to have an idea as to how much cash I would need up front and an idea of my monthly payments.

His response was, "I am still waiting for the 09' numbers. I'll get back to you"... thats it. Now I had read plenty of posts with members here listing details on their own deals and knew for sure that the 09' numbers were out since the BMWNA site lets you estimate lease payments. I mean, people have already taken delivery of 09 E90's, and if it wasn't for the EPA/CARB hold-up, many others would have their x35i's as well.

My next e-mail had the lease numbers PDF attached and I laid out all of the numbers I expected for my own deal. I also asked if he is waiting for November numbers, knows anything about the EPA hold-up, and if he will only speak numbers with me once the car is physically on his lot. To this, he only said, "Sorry, I had surgery last week. I'll look this up and get back to you." It has been three days now and no reply which is !

Should I walk away? Or speak with a manager and change my CA? Or is this behavior normal and a sales tactic? Like many of you here, I have been without a car for about 5 weeks. I don't want to start this process over again. I should have ordered 4 cars from 4 different dealerships haha. I just don't want to be in a position where I get the call that my baby is at the dealership, and when I get there they say, "OK, so we are offering $XXX over MSRP price and a money factor of .0028, take it or leave it." I would of course spit at his feet and leave, but after waiting 2 months for a car it would hurt inside

I feel like I am a well informed consumer in an economic time where I have the upper hand, but this guy is doing everything he can to turn that around. It's almost like he doesn't even want to sell the car, like he doesn't give a $%#&. Any suggestions and past experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
sdslayer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 SL 500 - soon 09 335 cv

If you read some of my posts, I have a similar story.

My CA hasn't been too responsive (eg I left him an email 2 days ago, still no response). This lack of response partially contributed to me missing an 08 order. And, I definitely fault him for telling me to "come in later" to change options, only to see I can no longer add the logic7 (which I didnt know would be gone at time of order).

Before any numbers were out, he quoted me a little off MSRP and I said "whoah, that sounds high. I am going to talk to other dealers. I just want you to be competitive." He said "go ahead, we will be competitive". So, All the other dealers in the area quote about the same number, which is a much better # than his. I email him and he says "ok, send me something in writing." So I fwd him an email and I get a 250 word bashing of that dealer. Im like "but I have 2 other quotes that are $50 more". Also: He told me during negotiation that he would give me the same MF markup as the 08 deal, but now is doing the full 40, after they lowered their price when I complained about the above. [you shouldnt be marked up more than 40]

Anyways, 90% of salesmen lie all day long. I think the other 10 are at home sick.

You can ask for the sales mgr. You could also say something like "Hey, you seem to be real busy. Is there another CA that I can work with?". Get a hold of someone and offer 750 over inv (real invoice, with maco & training(.

Hopefully, you will not get screwed.... too hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Walk away and deal with one of the CA sponsors on the bimmerfest board. You can deal from invoice up not MSRP down. Even better do an ED and save about 10-12% off US MSRP.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Uhhh.........

i thought you were supposed to negociate the deal up front before you drop your security deposit? my '09 335i coupe is on order as well.

atleast thats what I did in my 1-page contract with the dealer. But then again, I am buying the car, not leasing.

I had the dealer write the agreed price, plus TTL, total out the door cost plus whatever freebies i wanted (floor mats.)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
nonimus
Rep

I suppose my best course of action is to just show up at the dealership with all of the info and numbers I have and request a negotiation. Surprise attack haha.

Can you finalize a deal on a lease before you take delivery of the vehicle? As in complete all paperwork, sign and even pay all inception/fees to make your delivery day quicker? I'm a bit confused about this. Some posts seem to indicate finalized deals, while some seem to indicate only a quote which may very well change once the car has arrived and you're ready to sign all of the paperwork.

This has been so frustrating. The guy started off so open, nice and casual. Complete 180 now...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335

Some CA's are crazy.. I dealt with 3 of them in person and like 10 of them over the phone. One lead me on for 2 months straight I finally had to call his manager and complain.. but no resolution.. they basically lost my business..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Hey nominus,

Welcome to the forum. I can definitely feel for you. I have a similar story as yours. Long story short, my original CA suddenly quit to do some "soul searching," without informing me, of course. I ended up having to switch CA's mid-purchase and mid-negotiation. I was completely forthright with my next (and current CA) about the negotiated price that I had agreed upon with the other CA, and, fortunately, she agreed and we moved forward.

My advice to you is this: Don't ever hesitate to walk away or escalate to the GM at the dealership. The only power a consumer has in this transaction is our ability to walk away from the deal. All CA's are predators and for every good one, there are a ton more that are lazy or imbalanced. They should be bending over backwards to make you feel safe prior to the sale. Of course, we also understand that they won't give a shit after the papers are signed, but by then, you'll be in a new car and you won't care either.

So if this guy is not doing it for you and you don't want to start over, call the dealership and demand to talk to the GM. In fact, the GM should have called you or e-mailed you already to offer his services - if that didn't happen that's a sign that you might want to go to another dealership. Tell the GM your concerns and tell him straight out that this is going to cost him a sale unless he gives you his best CA. This will get the ball rolling. Your other option is, of course, to walk away completely, but that's definitely the nuclear option that you should save once you've given the GM a chance to fix your situation.

Hope this helps.
      10-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
All CA's are predators and for every good one, there are a ton more that are lazy or imbalanced. They should be bending over backwards to make you feel safe prior to the sale. Of course, we also understand that they won't give a shit after the papers are signed, but by then, you'll be in a new car and you won't care either.
I respect your opinion but I disagree all CA's are not predators. We have some great CA Board Sponsors on E90 Post and other BMW forums that are a pleasure to do business with. Irv, Rikki, Adrian, Philippe, Will etc..

All are knowledgeable in ED, MSD's and they actually know what the MF and APR is. Search out a board sponsor and save the headache.

- J
      10-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
I respect your opinion but I disagree all CA's are not predators. We have some great CA Board Sponsors on E90 Post and other BMW forums that are a pleasure to do business with. Irv, Rikki, Adrian, Philippe, Will etc..

All are knowledgeable in ED, MSD's and they actually know what the MF and APR is. Search out a board sponsor and save the headache.

- J
They're still predators. Just because they're fair doesn't mean they aren't out to make themselves the best deal. It's capitalism at its finest.
      10-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

We are not all predators....I give the best deals I possibly can along with the best service I can offer during my 10 -12 hours that I'm available almost daily.Sometimes I'm on the forums from 6-7am and then again at night if I can still keep my eyes open.I help people whenever I can even if they're not buying from me.

We're not all the same,if you have a CA that isn't responsive,talk to their SM and ask for someone else who wants to earn your business or go elsewhere.I would call the CA in the am on a Monday since most of us are at work then and also send an email.If there's no response by Tuesday,either call the SM or try someone who thinks of this as a career and not a job......I do !

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42850
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
nonimus
Rep

Thanks for all of the responses! I will be going to the dealer on Monday morning and seeing if I can make any progress with my CA. If not, I will ask for the manager and voice my concerns.

If I do feel the need to walk away, do you guys think it would be possible to find any MY09 335i coupes that haven't been ordered by a prospective purchaser any time soon? I don't think I could re-order elsewhere and do another two month wait without some sort of vehicle.

Irv, let's say I wanted to work with you, or any sponsor on this site. How would being located in Philadelphia affect that? I haven't considered a long distance relationship with a CA yet haha. Is that a possibility? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
They're still predators. Just because they're fair doesn't mean they aren't out to make themselves the best deal. It's capitalism at its finest.
As I said I respect your opinion. But I disagree. I don't think you can lump one group of people into a general category. Some really good CA's out there.

- J
      10-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post
Thanks for all of the responses! I will be going to the dealer on Monday morning and seeing if I can make any progress with my CA. If not, I will ask for the manager and voice my concerns.

If I do feel the need to walk away, do you guys think it would be possible to find any MY09 335i coupes that haven't been ordered by a prospective purchaser any time soon? I don't think I could re-order elsewhere and do another two month wait without some sort of vehicle.

Irv, let's say I wanted to work with you, or any sponsor on this site. How would being located in Philadelphia affect that? I haven't considered a long distance relationship with a CA yet haha. Is that a possibility? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
I think Irv could order the car for you and have it shipped to your home. If it is shipped to your dealer then there will be an additional fee I think. I would drop Irv an Email and ask as I have no clue what Irv's allocation is.

- J

Last edited by Jake C; 10-17-2008 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Our allocation is pretty strong and either you can fly here ( Chicago ) and drive it back, or your car will be shipped directly to your house,then you would just have to pay the shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

speak with Sal from Park Ave. BMW in Maywood NJ. hes on the forums, his sn is autocouture
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

I would go in and ask to talk to someone who wants to sell a car and drop this guy. He should be the one trying to make the sale happen, not you. I'd think with the economy as shitty as it is CA's would be trying to go above and beyond whats necessary to get business.
      10-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #17
kurtb
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I'm on my second BMW purchase, my CA was so good for my first car I followed her to a new dealership for this one. I ordered my second car on 9.17.08 and I am picking it up tomorrow 10.23.2008, she even emailed me every couple of days to let me know what the status was.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
nonimus
Rep

Well my plan to just show up somewhat worked. I got him to sit down with me and actually discuss pricing and negotiation. He tried to get the full MF markup, talked my way out of it. I got a decent price on the vehicle as well. 1K over invoice while most people in my area pay well over 2.5K over (according to TMV pricing reports from Edmunds). I am still upset with his performance as a CA. For example, my car arrived at the dealer on 10/21... I still haven't gotten confirmation from my CA of this, even though I stopped by after work and SAW the car myself haha.

I will be taking delivery this evening! Hopefully nothing changes once we go over final paperwork and I can avoid this dealer for the rest of my life.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks for your input everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Frank2808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

My 09 335 coupe will be my third BMW purchase and my third dealer/CA. The first two dealer/CAs I dealt with were just as you described. This time around I read my local e90post forum and found a CA that came highly recommended. The experience has been great. Very responsive, gave me a great deal without any haggling, very open with the lease numbers, and understands mods etc. Dave Theado at Ganley BMW in Cleveland. I give him two thumbs up.
Appreciate 0