Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E92 328xi - Sport Package Run-Flats

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Nas23
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi

Question E92 328xi - Sport Package Run-Flats

Hey Guys,

I've been on/off in the hunt for a car. I found a coupe online that has the sport package (328xi). I wanted to see how people felt about Run-Flats. The car is equipped with the sport package and 17" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style185) with run-flat all-season tires.

1. Does the drive of the car appear any different than regular tires? Do these tires grip the road just as good?

2. Any experience with these tires in the snow? Being that they are all-seasons, are they still solid? I know they are not winter/snow tires.

3. Not having a spare. May be me, but I like the security of having a spare in the back. Then again, it's rare (knock on wood) to get my tire changed. But I'm cautious in how reliable these tires are. I drive in metropolitan areas with tons of horrible roads.

I'd appreciate your comments regarding any of these issues. Just wanted to get more info before I go check out this car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Speeze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

You'll get a variety of opinions on the run flat tires, but all E9X come only with run flats.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

On an enthusiast forum like this one, you will find the general consensus says run flats are not as good as regular tires. Appearance wise, they're the same - you wouldn't be able to tell they are RFT unless you got down on your knees and read the tire.

RFTs are heavier tires and you will get better performance out of non-RFTs. However, for daily driving they are fine. Unless you're on a track or driving RFT and non-RFT back-to-back, I doubt you would be able to see a difference. RFTs also generally seem to be a bit firmer over the bumps.

The stock tires on the 328xi are fine for the snow. Haven't driven mine in the snow yet (and use 18" wheels and performance RFTs in the summer) but we have another 3er in the family with stock wheels/tires and it's fine. You can go up to 60 miles at highway speeds (55mph) on a tire with no pressure, so the technology itself is good.

If you can get past the few downsides (not quite as smooth over the bumps and slightly less handling at the limit) you should be happy. All E9x 3 Series come with RFTs, and any car you buy CPO will have them. Keep in mind there is no room for a spare tire (unless you put it in the trunk).

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Nas23
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi

Thanks guys for your reponses. Definitely helpful. If I end up getting the car, I will report back. E92 is one of my favorite cars, and I would love to drive one as my daily driver. My family has an E60, hell of a car.

Thanks for the comments re: RFTs!
Appreciate 0