E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Strange noise from the engine...

09-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Strange noise from the engine...

Hi,

So I was cruising on the highway today at about 100mph. At one moment, after going over small bumps in the road, I notice that my hood is shaking and figured that it may not have been closed properly. I pulled over and indeed observed that my hood was not fully closed. I opened the hood in order to close it and I have noticed a strange repetitive sound coming from "somewhere" under the engine cover. Something much more pronounced and more gutural than the clicking sound specific to N54. Something like metal on metal or more like metal on plastic. I went to to the driver's side to ask my girlfriend to come over and hear it too, but it suddenly disappeared and did not come back even after I stopped a few more times to try to hear it.
I remember seeing a video on this forum showing a sound which was alot like the one I was hearing, but I can' find it !

The car runs great and I have never received CEL or SES lights...

What could it be ? Any idea ?
Appreciate 0