E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Who are these random people tryin to do body work?

09-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Who are these random people tryin to do body work?

Anyone ever notice this or hear about this?

Back in my college days, I used to have random people in trucks come up to me in a parking lot as I am walking out or walking to my car saying they will fix the dent on my car "right now" for $$$. I had a old beat up car back then so I used to get confronted many times...mainly in the bailey's crossroads area. I always said no, because quite frankly I am not going to trust some random dude scoping out parking lots for dented cars.

Well over the weekend someone hit my car and scratched & dented the fender and bumper while it was parked. Insurance will be fixing it soon. However today while in Tysons, some random guys in a truck came up to me as I was getting out of my car and said that they would fix the dent and repaint it for like $300. But I was like uhhh no thanks, insurance is already taking care of it.

So who are these people? Is this some sort of scam or are these real body shop people looking to do work on the side with their companies tools?

EDIT: I just found this article from Tampa, FL. It sounds just like the guys I've experienced, granted they didnt rob me or follow me home. But them scoping parking lots is very similar.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jun...fixing-scheme/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Highflyr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

Yes it is a scam there have been threads about ppl on here that got scamed out of a few hundred dollars.
      09-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
ive seen 1 or 2 dudes in the shopping center that i work in...riding around and asking people...and i see them working on peoples cars...and it actually comes out looking pretty nice...but those people that got there money taken in that article are clowns...why would you hand over money to someone that hasn't even done the work?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Scammers trying to make a quick buck. My mother got taken by them back in the day. $200 to 'fix some dents, etc. Whipped out the bondo, caked it on, sanded like a mofo then spray can primed in about 10 minutes! Looked like crap. Worst than the dents did on their own. Mostly had a box full of crappy supplies in the trunk of a caddy or continental.