E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Removing secondary cats Vs catless downs.

09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

Removing secondary cats Vs catless downs.

Thinking of easily replacable mods... We all know catless downpipes are not something you can easily do in your driveway.

However if you were to take the secondaries , and flange both ends of them, and the factory pipes, you could easily remove them and replace them if needed.

The question is, how much improvement can one see from leaving the factory downs on and removing the secondaries in this manner?

Im wondering if it's even worth the trouble...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
Thinking of easily replacable mods... We all know catless downpipes are not something you can easily do in your driveway.

However if you were to take the secondaries , and flange both ends of them, and the factory pipes, you could easily remove them and replace them if needed.

The question is, how much improvement can one see from leaving the factory downs on and removing the secondaries in this manner?

not much, perhaps 5-10 WHP with a tune? The primaries are your main restriction.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

yeah that was pretty much my thought.. I idnt know if there was someone here that had already done a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Most of the power gains are in the downpipes. They can be driveway DIY if you are mechanically inclined. I've done a ton of sets on jackstands.
      09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post

These can be easily done in a driveway it just takes a little longer then swapping out mid-pipes. I have personaly had straight mid-pipes with stock downpipes and catless down pipes with the secondary cats still in place. You can tell a little bit when you just remove the secondarys but there is a much more noticable improvement when you replace the downpipes.
Appreciate 0