E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Paint Code Help

09-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Paint Code Help

I just had some stuff painted on my car and the color is ever so slightly lighter than the color on my car(alpine white). You can't tell in the sun too much, but in dimmer light it's all I notice. To my understand there are different variations of alpine white, and I know the newer ones have alpine white III. But are there variations of that?? Anyway to tell what the exact paint code of 2007 335i with build date 12/26/06?

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Look under your hood - the bottom side of your hood near the release/catch - you will see likely 3 sticker. Look at the one on the drivers side of the three - it will list the paint color name "BMW - "Paint Color Name"" and on the bottome of that sticker you will see a 3 or 4 character code like A61/3 - this is your paint code.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Addict View Post
Look under your hood - the bottom side of your hood near the release/catch - you will see likely 3 sticker. Look at the one on the drivers side of the three - it will list the paint color name "BMW - "Paint Color Name"" and on the bottome of that sticker you will see a 3 or 4 character code like A61/3 - this is your paint code.
Ok I got the code and its alpinweiss 3 code 300 which is the exact paint I used. I read somewhere that even though you have the right color, it may be a different shade. If you do not prime the stuff the same way the factory did with the color primer they used, it will show up a shade lighter. Majority of the time you receive a factory part for a car that will need to be painted it is a dark grey or black. I primed this stuff with a white primer. Do you think that could be the reason the color doesn't match perfectly? Can someone shed some light on this for me? I'm thinking I'm going to have to paint it all with a black primer then repaint white.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
napauto
NAPAUTO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 XI / Raven Black /Oys

Smile Paint Variations

The correct paint code will not necessarily create a perfect match.

Many paint formulas have variations due to re-batching of the paint at the factory, or slight variations from different assembly plants.

A quality body shop will have variation charts, which are paint strips of the color variations. Some whites have five or more variations.

These strips will be placed against your existing body panels, and enable a color matching expert to provide the painter with the correct formula for your vehicle. The paint is usually mixed at the auto body shop.

I am quite sure that this is the reason that your white does not match.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by napauto View Post
The correct paint code will not necessarily create a perfect match.

Many paint formulas have variations due to re-batching of the paint at the factory, or slight variations from different assembly plants.

A quality body shop will have variation charts, which are paint strips of the color variations. Some whites have five or more variations.

These strips will be placed against your existing body panels, and enable a color matching expert to provide the painter with the correct formula for your vehicle. The paint is usually mixed at the auto body shop.

I am quite sure that this is the reason that your white does not match.

Good Luck!
I painted it myself at the body shop I used to work at and I mixed the paint myself on their standox paint mixing machine. The computer showed 6 dif variations of the color alpineweiss 3. They only had the color chips for mercedes b/c it was a mercedes body shop. I mixed a small amount of the one I thought was the closest and I held it up to the orginal color and it appeared to be a perfect match but once everything was painted...not so much. This is what is making me think it has something to do with the primer color.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Primer does affect final color - some mfg. (Porsche comes to mind) actually prime their cars in either black or grey depending on what color was ordered.

Plus, over almost 4 years, don't you think your factory paint has faded/weathered? In addition to all variable factors such as mentioned above, this will also help mismatch.

The shop I use has some sort of spectrum analyzer gun thingy that they use to get readings from existing paint - and then it tells them how to alter the mix from paint code to match best. Gun sends readings back to the computer that is mixing the paint.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Primer does affect final color - some mfg. (Porsche comes to mind) actually prime their cars in either black or grey depending on what color was ordered.

Plus, over almost 4 years, don't you think your factory paint has faded/weathered? In addition to all variable factors such as mentioned above, this will also help mismatch.

The shop I use has some sort of spectrum analyzer gun thingy that they use to get readings from existing paint - and then it tells them how to alter the mix from paint code to match best. Gun sends readings back to the computer that is mixing the paint.
Well that's pretty legit our shop doesn't have that, i may try to find find a place that does to mix it for me or try priming in black to see if helps. Thanks for all the input guys.

Appreciate 0