Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tires for 19" Wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
classy335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i

Tires for 19" Wheels

I am looking to upgrade from sports package wheels with factory rfts to 19" wheels and tires.

I am looking for Max Performance Summer Tires which have better treadwear and wet traction compared to the factory RFTs. Being in the Pacific NW, wet traction is very important to me. I do not want all season tires as it rarely snows here and I do not want to compromise significantly on dry traction when weather permits.

I have short listed my tire selection to:

1. Michelin PS2
2. Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position
3. Continental ExtremeContact DW
4. Hankook Ventus V12 (from C&D comparison: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

PS2s are the OEM tires for the M3 and the RE05APP have a higher treadwear rating than the PS2s.

Questions:

1. Would these tires compromise turn in compared to the RFTs in a NOTICEABLE fashion? I have active steering and really like it.

2. Non-rfts should greatly improve ride quality correct?

2. What are people's impressions going from factory rfts to these tires as far as handling and tread life are concerned? I see a lot of people on this forum getting the Contis and writing good things about them. They are also priced reasonably.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
1) PS2's have great grip and comfort at the same time. IMO, you will be happy with the change without noticeable turn in difference.

2) Non-RFT's are a night and day difference! You'll love it.

3) I definitely liked swapping from the stock RFT to a Non-RFT for the comfort. Interchanges and bumpy roads are a lot softer and more enjoyable.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      12-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
1) PS2's have great grip and comfort at the same time. IMO, you will be happy with the change without noticeable turn in difference.

3) I definitely liked swapping from the stock RFT to a Non-RFT for the comfort. Interchanges and bumpy roads are a lot softer and more enjoyable.

-Charles@VMRWheels
+1

have to agree with Charles on all points

My OEM wheels and RFT are right now resting in the garage. They will get new shoes before spring arrives it will be most likely a Michelin Performance tire (I had that type of tire on all my cars including a M3 I sold this past spring). My family car is a Jag and summer tires are Continentals. All our winter sets are Michelin ICE it is a great tire.

As Charles said "night and day difference" and I do love it. My car will never ever see another RFT

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post

-Charles@VMRWheels
+2

Fully agree, any of the 4 tires you listed are good, but bridgestone would personally be last on my list. The hankooks are great for the money
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
classy335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i

Thanks for the responses folks.

Rolf, what are your current summer tires? Conti ExtremeContact or Contisport? Do you feel the Contis are as good as the factory RFTs? They are cheaper than the Michelins...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by classy335i View Post
Thanks for the responses folks.

Rolf, what are your current summer tires? Conti ExtremeContact or Contisport? Do you feel the Contis are as good as the factory RFTs? They are cheaper than the Michelins...
My Z4 summer tires are still the RFT from Bridgestone (225/35/19 Front & 255/30/19 Rear). They will be changed in time for remount in the spring. I may go with the Hankook not 100% certain at this point.

Our family car (Jag 3.0 Type X AWD) has the Continental High Performance Tire. We are very happy with them.

All my cars (my fun cars) always had Michelin High Performance Tires. I've read several reviews on the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Max Performance Summer), people speak very highly of them also the price is very attractive.

As for the RFT to Regular tires .... driving my Jag and then the Z4 with the RFT difference like day and night. Now that I am on my winter set (see photos in my garage under "Winter Set Up") it is the same day and night feeling. Feels like a new car.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
xxtremes33
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

any thoughts to Nitto Invos?
Appreciate 0