Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Front left tire replaced, rear right rim looks like this now

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
tom9984
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Front left tire replaced, rear right rim looks like this now

Hi all, I had a question.

My front left tire kept losing air, so I got it checked out at the dealer. They said there's a puncture and they recommended to replace the tire, so I agreed, and the dealer changed it.

After I picked up the car and got home, I noticed my rear right rim looked like this:

Shot at 2011-01-14

Shot at 2011-01-14

Scratches? Paint cracking? Clearcoat crimping? I can't really tell, but it feels smooth when I touch it. Is the dealer responsible for this? Or is it a coincidence? Last year, I had that same rim repaired by the dealer due to some damage (curb rash etc.). Maybe it's falling apart?

It's too late to go back to the dealer today. I wish I noticed it earlier. Going to go back tomorrow. I just wanted to see what people thought.

Thanks,

Tom9984
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
mgl
Drives: aw e92

which dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Looks like the clear coat cracking. I'd bring it back to the dealer right away. If you're still under warranty it should be covered...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
tom9984
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

@mgl: My car was serviced at Peter Pan BMW in Burlingame

I brought it in earlier this morning. My SA isn't here today, so I talked to a few people who were there. They all said they've never seen anything like this before.

They asked me if I hit anything or if it was always there and I never noticed. I told them I didn't hit anything and I didn't really go anywhere afterwards. I usually make sure my car is okay and a problem like this is hard to miss.

I mentioned I had my rim repaired last year and they looked it up and said another company took care of the repairs. They took a picture of the rim, got my info down, and said they will check with their tire experts and the company who did the work on it.

I also emailed my SA the pictures and told him everything that happened. I hope this is covered by warranty too.

Thanks for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Don't let the dealer snow you on this one - you clearly didn't hit anything as you'd see the damage on the wheel if you did. I doubt anyone "caused" this as it looks to me like a defective clear coating and the dealer should just replace that wheel under warranty - no questions asked. Good luck!
Appreciate 0