E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen to Xenon converted>>> one xenon shuts off. HeLP

04-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

Exclamation Halogen to Xenon converted>>> one xenon shuts off. HeLP

so i did the halogen to Xenon conversion today. Wiring and all went well. I read 3 different DIY's and they're all the same(adding ground to #2 and tapping it to ground)
my problem is one of the Xenons randomly shuts itself off after a minute or two. If i turn the light switch off then back to on again, that same Xenon won't light up anymore unless i restart the car(...then one of the xenons will shut itself off again). AE and high beams all work fine

i also get the car on lift and bulb out errors caused by the convertion

any clue or fix on them bloody xenon shutting off?

car: 2007 E90 328i
headlight: US spec adaptive headlight(i took the modules off and unplugged the motor wires)<<this does not affect the headlight. 1 Xenon will turn off if i have adaptive hooked up or not.
      04-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
DBerg
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i BlkSap/Ter,MT,SP,PP,CW

Similar issues - ready to toss in the towel...

Using an error canceller box and two resistors on each side, I was "error free", but one Xenon light failed after only a few starts. (This is a DEPO Projector 90 Xenon conversion with LED angel eyes & LED turn signals.) I surfed the web and discovered that the Xenon conversion kit sells separately for about $70 - which tells me they're nothing close to OEM. So, I removed the Xenon circuit and went back to halogen - although keeping the new headlights. My present issue is that the headlights are way out of alignment, and the adjustment screws make little difference. The headlights focus about 15' infront of the car, and I really can't even drive it at night. Except for the nice looks of the LED AE's and turn signals - these lights are useless. I've spent 20 hrs.+ on this project - as well as ~ $700, and I'm guessing I'll need to go back to the OEM headlights - which are well designed & manufactured.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
paulkim510
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 E92  [0.00]
Yea, Don't wanna mess with the headlights. Seems to complicated.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
JasonBMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 AW

what happens when u dont research sources. i would not touch this DIY bc im not experienced but i have had the conversion for over a year and worth investment bc of no headaches.. im just amazed on how many are trying to do this mod and all running into same issue. if ur underwarranty bro, go to the experts and pay the money. otherwise this exactly what you experience. you ask yourself if it was worth savingi money doing this by yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

yes its worth it duuuuh.
if you dont have patient or can't handle the frustration or simply too scared to do DIY's then yes theres always the dealer that can certainly do it for you for a hefty price. It simply wouldn't fall under "warranty" since going from Halogen to Xenon headlight does not classify as "defective". it is a personal choice to change the headlight and you will get charged for the pair of headlights, 7hr+labour and remapping... quite frankly some people are not ready to pay 5grand for that ^.^
      04-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

You can't do a straight swap of the headlights without doing some coding or using a harness/canceller to solve the errors.

I believe the flicker is due to improper voltage and the ballast/module shuts itself down to protect itself.
Appreciate 0