E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?

Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #25411
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShiznit View Post
I don't know if I mentioned it but I purchased a 2015 Audi A3 Quattro as my daily. I hated the car not having torque like the straight 6. (I mostly drove 6cyl BMWs). Sold it to car max at the height of inflated used cars and purchased the 335xi and I love it. Solid chassis and the N54 is great. That is after you do all the maintenance, however the previous owner had done a lot of it including index 12 injectors.

I'd honestly say the N55 would be a better choice for reliable power. Single turbo makes it easier to work on and with a tune it can still move pretty good. Plus you get the benefits of the LCI cars.
I've been on a low-key hunt for an E93 for a couple years now. Currently thinking hard about this one in SD, but the N54 life seems so off putting.

He's done the injectors, but pretty much everything else is stock. Oil pan, VCG, suspension, water pump, HPFP are all 15 years old. Good on them for lasting so long, right! But that's a lot of potential parts to replace! I can do all that work, but not sure I want to. But the price is good presuming it has been well kept. Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #25412
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
added android auto on stock CIC

What system did you install and how was the process? Tempted to do this on our X5!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #25413
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
What system did you install and how was the process? Tempted to do this on our X5!
ali roadtop device, 220$ cad.

Around 2h30m. All the wiring is straight forward.

- the main headunit plug can be tucked on the diver side and the carplay module on the passenger side.

- I had to remove the glove box to place the module box.

- no need to remove the center console.

sound is not as bad some reported with aux input.

work well.

Only cons ; most of my everyday app wont work on android auto. i.e. everything engine live data is blocked by apple/google since it's tagged as ''distracting''. So forget MHD and JB4 live data. This is a big bummer for me.

I'll try later some workaround.

Also, my streaming app, ymusic, is also not compatible. Had to use YTmusic revanced.

Waze and Poweramp are my other main apps, and they work well.

for the price, I can't complain, but ideally I would go full android with a xtron unit. but it's almost 3x the price

didn't try calls yes, so not quite sure if OEM mic is working.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #25414
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
ali roadtop device, 220$ cad.

Around 2h30m. All the wiring is straight forward.

- the main headunit plug can be tucked on the diver side and the carplay module on the passenger side.

- I had to remove the glove box to place the module box.

- no need to remove the center console.

sound is not as bad some reported with aux input.

work well.

Only cons ; most of my everyday app wont work on android auto. i.e. everything engine live data is blocked by apple/google since it's tagged as ''distracting''. So forget MHD and JB4 live data. This is a big bummer for me.

I'll try later some workaround.

Also, my streaming app, ymusic, is also not compatible. Had to use YTmusic revanced.

Waze and Poweramp are my other main apps, and they work well.

for the price, I can't complain, but ideally I would go full android with a xtron unit. but it's almost 3x the price

didn't try calls yes, so not quite sure if OEM mic is working.
Thanks for the details, appreciated! I've been kinda' looking at Bimmertech, as it seems to be the most well thought out. But If something is 95% as good at 33% the price... well, that's tempting!
I'd just like something to run Waze/maps with a bigger screen, and have good music quality for Spotify. Not too picky!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:06 AM   #25415
DBShiznit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i/335xi

Quote:
Thanks for the details, appreciated! I've been kinda' looking at Bimmertech, as it seems to be the most well thought out. But If something is 95% as good at 33% the price... well, that's tempting!
I'd just like something to run Waze/maps with a bigger screen, and have good music quality for Spotify. Not too picky!
Mr12Volt has a great system that uses our fiberoptic for sound but it is PRICEY. I've seen reviews from guys purchasing a full on android unit from aliexpress and having a good experience. Some will talk about the sound quality as mentioned but they also say the unit has equalizer settings that helps being the sound quality back. I've hovered over the add to cart button on several occasions LOL
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:07 AM   #25416
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
it's probably the same.

Ive looked at the pictures and physically and software wise is the same. Even the HDMI input.

Now hard to tell if they have rebranded a generic one or they have developed the unit and china copied it and sell it back.

Quote:
Mr12Volt has a great system that uses our fiberoptic for sound but it is PRICEY. I've seen reviews from guys purchasing a full on android unit from aliexpress and having a good experience. Some will talk about the sound quality as mentioned but they also say the unit has equalizer settings that helps being the sound quality back. I've hovered over the add to cart button on several occasions LOL
I wish I can compare, I really hesitated.

What made me go with aliexpress, is this is compatible with my F25, so if I dont like it , Ill put it on my wife's f25.

tax in and shipping in, costed me 230$ cad, while mr12volts you add shipping and customs and comes around +/-650$ cad.

and at the end, both wont allow engine live data ....

workaround require root, and I wont root my phone, S23 Ultra got the knox fuse, and I dont want to trigger it right now. Phone still working, but you loose everything related to banks and other minor stuff.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:23 AM   #25417
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

I have an Andream unit and it has been working well, but I only really use it as a backup cam. Since I have installed a front camera, I will be removing the stereo again to wire it and I am really tempted to switch to a Mr12volt unit.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:52 AM   #25418
DBShiznit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have the logic 7 and am afraid to loose the sound quality, but tempted to take their word for it. I also want the android unit to run JB4 gauges, carplay and youtube when going for longer rides. It'd be nice to have up a podcast. Helps kill time. I'm hoping by next year I'll have my single turbo kit in and I'd love to make a trip to Montreal to see family and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:55 AM   #25419
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Well I got my 325i in mechanically perfect condition, aesthetically it's as good as it can be for a 20yr old 6 owner car and even douched out the HVAC from top and bottom and got rid of the musty smell. Now I'm left with one final annoyance that's sucking out the new car joy. I got a squeak coming from it sounds like inside the dash somewhere. Today I'm removing trim a piece at a time and hitting whatever looks like it could be rubbing with silicone spray but no luck yet. I'm afraid I'm gonna have the whole dash out soon if I can't find it, and I really don't want to, just wanna enjoy driving it for a bit. Anyone with any ideas helpful or not be appreciated.
Try shoving a rag between the dash and widshield on the driver side corner where you have that sticker. See if squeak is gone.

Also check the strut bars are torqued properly at the junction point below the windshield.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:57 AM   #25420
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have the logic 7 and am afraid to loose the sound quality, but tempted to take their word for it. I also want the android unit to run JB4 gauges, carplay and youtube when going for longer rides. It'd be nice to have up a podcast. Helps kill time. I'm hoping by next year I'll have my single turbo kit in and I'd love to make a trip to Montreal to see family and enjoy the car.
Lower Audio quality on my side was not that obvious and I have the individual sound system (higher one).

you still can use the FM, CD, HDD, bluetooth, it will by pass the android unit, however you wont have android notification if you dont use aux .

If you have ''bmw bluetooth enhance'' in your car, then you're set, all the audio will go through a2dp and you'll have the same level as OEM, with those MMI android boxes.

only full android units will allow you to run JB4/MHD gauge.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:59 AM   #25421
DBShiznit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lower Audio quality on my side was not that obvious and I have the individual sound system (higher one).

you still can use the FM, CD, HDD, bluetooth, it will by pass the android unit, however you wont have android notification if you dont use aux .

If you have ''bmw bluetooth enhance'' in your car, then you're set, all the audio will go through a2dp and you'll have the same level as OEM, with those MMI android boxes.

only full android units will allow you to run JB4/MHD gauge.
Gotta pick your brain now lol

Bluetooth enhance? Like the combox? I’ve read about it but never really went into it. Does this work with full android units or just the CarPlay units?

I’d definitely get a full android unit based on that and as far as research showed me, that is what I’ve been aiming for. I was hoping the market would get flooded and the prices would come down.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:03 AM   #25422
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Gotta pick your brain now lol

Bluetooth enhance? Like the combox? I’ve read about it but never really went into it. Does this work with full android units or just the CarPlay units?

I’d definitely get a full android unit based on that and as far as research showed me, that is what I’ve been aiming for. I was hoping the market would get flooded and the prices would come down.
yeah this was an option on the later combox, around 2010.

Most idrive got only aux and USB input, and later you'll see bluetooth input. MMI box can use the Bluetooth which is better quality than aux.

I'm not audiophile, but many of my audio files are FLAC or high bitrate mp3, and the sound is acceptable via aux.

do you have the bump for the CIC/CCC unit? if not, better get those full android screen that looks like a tablet coming from the dash.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:06 AM   #25423
DBShiznit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah this was an option on the later combox, around 2010.

Most idrive got only aux and USB input, and later you'll see bluetooth input. MMI box can use the Bluetooth which is better quality than aux.

I'm not audiophile, but many of my audio files are FLAC or high bitrate mp3, and the sound is acceptable via aux.

do you have the bump for the CIC/CCC unit? if not, better get those full android screen that looks like a tablet coming from the dash.
I have the double hump CCC system. So the MMI would connect to the Bluetooth via over the air connection or would it take over it all together?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:13 AM   #25424
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have the double hump CCC system. So the MMI would connect to the Bluetooth via over the air connection or would it take over it all together?
so technically you dont have audio bluetooh, unless you have those USB dungle with bluetooth.

So your only option is Aux input.

Now, reason 2 to go full android : the CCC screen has a lower resolution than CIC , so mmi box is not the best experience.

xtrons would be my pick, had great experience with them on my previous car. https://xtrons.ca/bmw-various-androi...rom-qpbs8360cc

expensive for a 4gb ram unit tho... But they should work A1.

You can find cheaper version on ali, maybe with 6 or even 8gb ram, but good luck to have support.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:28 AM   #25425
DBShiznit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That is also another reason I want the whole head unit. CCC screen DOES suck. Also, I believe I can retrofit the Bluetooth combox. I’ve looked into upgrading into CIC which I could get lucking finding at a junkyard but to get that at M12Volt I’d still be ~500 invested into it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:39 AM   #25426
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
so technically you dont have audio bluetooh, unless you have those USB dungle with bluetooth.

So your only option is Aux input.

Now, reason 2 to go full android : the CCC screen has a lower resolution than CIC , so mmi box is not the best experience.

xtrons would be my pick, had great experience with them on my previous car. https://xtrons.ca/bmw-various-androi...rom-qpbs8360cc

expensive for a 4gb ram unit tho... But they should work A1.

You can find cheaper version on ali, maybe with 6 or even 8gb ram, but good luck to have support.
All of those are through AUX only, correct?

I haven't really used my box for multimedia, so I cannot comment on loss of audio quality via aux vs optical. Full unit is appealing as the cost is similar. My experience with them (3 other cars over the years) is that audio is always lacking and I'm not an audiophile (i.e. I listen to talk radio).
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:51 AM   #25427
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
All of those are through AUX only, correct?

I haven't really used my box for multimedia, so I cannot comment on loss of audio quality via aux vs optical. Full unit is appealing as the cost is similar. My experience with them (3 other cars over the years) is that audio is always lacking and I'm not an audiophile (i.e. I listen to talk radio).
for BMW yes, only aux. I saw only 2 with optic and both were mmi boxes.

For other car, like my audi, the xtrons is a head unit, and the sound was significantly better than the OEM Bose Audi unit.
Appreciate 1
eljay1735.50