E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6AT Trans Upgrade options

02-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #287
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Fantastic, now that the first process is here how to update the flash, can we get something more comprehensive for this upgrade specifically from someone who has time and knowledge. I found this file how to update WinKFP zb files, it worked perfectly.

1.) To Update ZB files in WINKFP-
Here's sort of a guide for setting up WinKFP. I've based it on the E60 daten from ISTA/P 2.39. This
assumes you have installed INPA/Ediabas and WinKFP and they are running correctly. This was
done on a WinXP 32 bit system.

1. Unpack the V2.39 ISTA daten folders for SP-daten-E60 somewhere on your harddrive.

2. Open WinKFP, then choose "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "PABD"

3. Browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "sgdat". [base]\SP-daten-E60\sgdat\. Hit
CTRL-A to select all files, then click "Import"

4. Now select again "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "P-SGBD" and, like
step 3, browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "ecu". [base]\SP-daten-E60\ecu\. Hit

5. Now select again "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "Assembly Line
Data"

6. Browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "data". [base]\SP-daten-E60\data\ and
make sure "data" is highlighted and select "OK"

7. Depending on how big the data are, you may have to wait awhile. Go get a sandwich. Don't
abort. SP-daten-E89 took 10 minutes or more on my laptop and the program appeared frozen for
several minutes. Eventually, it should return control.

8. Open the regular file explorer and browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to
"gdaten". [base]\SP-daten-E60\data\gdaten\
Hit CTRL-A to select all files, then CTRL-C to copy all files to clipboard. Now browse to your
NFS folder (usually C:\EC-APPS\NFS\ or just C:\NFS\ depending on your installation) then browse
down to "data\gdaten" and hit CTRL-V to paste the copied files. If there are files already in this
directory, overwrite them with the files you copied.
Now exit WinKFP and, if desired, backup your NFS dir and EDIABAS\ECU dir so you don't have
to go through this again.

9. Run WinKFP. You may see a message like this:
Don't panic. For some reason there are some lines in some of the SGIDC.AS2 files that are too long
for WinKFP. SGIDC.AS2 is an ASCII text file and can be edited with notepad or another editor.
Just load it up (you may have to add a .txt extension and remove it after editing) find the line
specified in the box above and put a semi-colon in front of it ("comment" it out) or remove it
completely. I don't know if it is ever needed or if it should be truncated or what, but I've never run
across any bad behavior by removing it.
Do this again if there are other long lines in the file; you can easily determine this as most lines will
all be the same length and the problem lines will be twice as long or longer.
If all went well, you should have all the files needed to program ECUs with WinKFP.

Last edited by pits200; 02-23-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #288
Wookie420
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe/Space Gray

Garage List
2010 335i (E92)  [10.00]
This is AMAZING news guys!! Thank you for taking the time to figure this out!!

COBB Stage 2+ AGGRESSIVE / STETT Cold-Air Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / TiAL Blow-off Valve / ETS 5" Front-Mount Intercooler / Active Autowerke 3" Catless Downpipes / Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust / AST 4100 Coilovers / OS Giken Superlock LSD / All MOTUL Fluids
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #289
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Awesome work guys! Reading all of this in a way makes me want an auto

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #290
tvbui
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've been re-reading this thread for like the 4th time since 4am. Cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #291
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
This is F'n unreal guys. We have fixed the upgraded turbo shift issue. We have fixed the flatline after shift issue. We have quicker shifting. We can now down shift quicker without restrictions. Someone said it also effected traction control and made it more drivable without as much nanny intervention. We now have a fix for the late model car paddles. FTW This is some SICK $hit....

But, as wonderful as all of this is, I know a lot of you guys have ran out and bought cables, and that's great. But, if you're laptop is crap or if you screw up the software install and you try to flash your car you will be walking until you get a different laptop or fix your software. We will try to help you as much as possible if you break your car.

This truly is a game changer for the AT community. cn555ic and myself take great pride in the work we have done and thank those who posted the numbers that made this all possible.
This is awesome...I cant wait to get my car coded. Thank you all who worked so hard to make this happen!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #292
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Fantastic, now that the first process is here how to update the flash, can we get something more comprehensive for this upgrade specifically from someone who has time and knowledge. I found this file how to update WinKFP zb files, it worked perfectly.

Here's sort of a guide for setting up WinKFP. I've based it on the E60 daten from ISTA/P 2.39. This
assumes you have installed INPA/Ediabas and WinKFP and they are running correctly. This was

1. Unpack the V2.39 ISTA daten folders for SP-daten-E60 somewhere on your harddrive.

2. Open WinKFP, then choose "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "PABD"

3. Browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "sgdat". [base]\SP-daten-E60\sgdat\. Hit

4. Now select again "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "P-SGBD" and, like
step 3, browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "ecu". [base]\SP-daten-E60\ecu\. Hit

5. Now select again "Import/Export" in the main menu, and pick "Import" then "Assembly Line
Data"

6. Browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to "data". [base]\SP-daten-E60\data\ and

7. Depending on how big the data are, you may have to wait awhile. Go get a sandwich. Don't
abort. SP-daten-E89 took 10 minutes or more on my laptop and the program appeared frozen for

8. Open the regular file explorer and browse to your unpacked daten folder and drill down to
Hit CTRL-A to select all files, then CTRL-C to copy all files to clipboard. Now browse to your
NFS folder (usually C:\EC-APPS\NFS\ or just C:\NFS\ depending on your installation) then browse
down to "data\gdaten" and hit CTRL-V to paste the copied files. If there are files already in this
Now exit WinKFP and, if desired, backup your NFS dir and EDIABAS\ECU dir so you don't have

Don't panic. For some reason there are some lines in some of the SGIDC.AS2 files that are too long
for WinKFP. SGIDC.AS2 is an ASCII text file and can be edited with notepad or another editor.
Just load it up (you may have to add a .txt extension and remove it after editing) find the line
specified in the box above and put a semi-colon in front of it ("comment" it out) or remove it
completely. I don't know if it is ever needed or if it should be truncated or what, but I've never run
Do this again if there are other long lines in the file; you can easily determine this as most lines will
If all went well, you should have all the files needed to program ECUs with WinKFP.

you can cut that all down into 2 steps by using BMW Coding Tool

also, I believe with the newer winKFP (bmw standard tools 2.12), editing the as2 file is no longer required
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #293
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BREAKING news!!! I figured out the paddle issues...>ALL MODELS should work now and have functional paddle shifters!!!!!!!:h appyanim:
Great work!!!!! I can't wait for my Trans to get back to Cali!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #294
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
you can cut that all down into 2 steps by using BMW Coding Tool

also, I believe with the newer winKFP (bmw standard tools 2.12), editing the as2 file is no longer required
That'd be great, I'm new to this. And as for the as2 file, I had to edit mine or WinKFP wouldn't open.

Can you point me in the direction of the BMW Coding Tool, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #295
tofu-
Banned
Rep

e90post censors the site it's on.

should be on the first page of results on google

edit: basically you open the program, set your spdaten source directory (the one you extracted it to), then click "update sp daten" then "update winkfp" and it does all the file transferring and importing automatically. it also edits the as2 file
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #296
vfeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
This is F'n unreal guys. We have fixed the upgraded turbo shift issue. We have fixed the flatline after shift issue. We have quicker shifting. We can now down shift quicker without restrictions. Someone said it also effected traction control and made it more drivable without as much nanny intervention. We now have a fix for the late model car paddles. FTW This is some SICK $hit....

But, as wonderful as all of this is, I know a lot of you guys have ran out and bought cables, and that's great. But, if you're laptop is crap or if you screw up the software install and you try to flash your car you will be walking until you get a different laptop or fix your software. We will try to help you as much as possible if you break your car.

This truly is a game changer for the AT community. cn555ic and myself take great pride in the work we have done and thank those who posted the numbers that made this all possible.
      02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #297
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BREAKING news!!! I figured out the paddle issues...>ALL MODELS should work now and have functional paddle shifters!!!!!!!:h appyanim:
Awesome. So what did you do differently or was this just a fluke on one car not working?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #298
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Awesome. So what did you do differently or was this just a fluke on one car not working?
This was not isolated...If you code the newer model years the paddles will not work...After the flash you need to code it to work again..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #299
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
This was not isolated...If you code the newer model years the paddles will not work...After the flash you need to code it to work again..
So what was that?

edit: nevermind, saw your other post.

Last edited by ajsalida; 02-23-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #300
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
yeah that has been tried and works much better than the old one. its OEM.
So this one could be used on a 2008 model (xi) as well? And what is the ZB number of the newer flash? If I do it will I then have to go back and redo the Alpina code?

Sorry for so many questions - just got the Alpina coded - seems to be OK but I'm not seeing the amazing changes that everyone else is reporting. Feeling some pretty weird 2-3 shifts. 3-4 feels very good. Looking into my logs now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #301
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe

Aw man no pre-3/07, you guys think it will ever be possible to flash pre-3/07? Any reason why specifically why it can not be flashed?
      02-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #302
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
So this one could be used on a 2008 model (xi) as well? And what is the ZB number of the newer flash? If I do it will I then have to go back and redo the Alpina code?

Sorry for so many questions - just got the Alpina coded - seems to be OK but I'm not seeing the amazing changes that everyone else is reporting. Feeling some pretty weird 2-3 shifts. 3-4 feels very good. Looking into my logs now.
my first agressive 2-3 threw a limp mode. could just be adaptations.

your expectations may just be too high. it's no DCT, but it's definitively an improvement over stock, and it certainly is a big deal.

edit: i haven't had a chance to test DTC changes yet, but i see all the alpina b3s cars sliding and drifting around in the youtube videos with their open diff, so who knows...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #303
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
Aw man no pre-3/07, you guys think it will ever be possible to flash pre-3/07? Any reason why specifically why it can not be flashed?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #304
rays 335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335 coupe auto jb4 E85 dmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post

Data"

THIS IS HUGE!!! this needs to be a stickie with location,very detailed intructions, and as said a recovery for when, and it will things go wrong in the process.trust me on the last one!!! I was programming my c5(vet) and had been doing it for a while so somethings were second nature to me, but did'nt input a neccessary piece and wondered why i had an immediate cel.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #305
rays 335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335 coupe auto jb4 E85 dmi

btw still looking for someone in va. that can do this..would give a try but the learning curve from programming older camaros and vets,fromthings going wrong is still very vivid in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #306
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays 335i View Post
THIS IS HUGE!!! this needs to be a stickie with location,very detailed intructions, and as said a recovery for when, and it will things go wrong in the process.trust me on the last one!!! I was programming my c5(vet) and had been doing it for a while so somethings were second nature to me, but did'nt input a neccessary piece and wondered why i had an immediate cel.
This is extra work for the first part. Like tofu said, get BMW code tools, it works so much easier and updates winkfp with the click of a button.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #307
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Since you guys can't seem to find things, I will make it easier for you...Here is the BMW coding tool..
Attached Files
File Type: zip coding.txt.zip.zip (196.9 KB, 212 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #308
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Ready to see the 517 Trans in action.
Appreciate 0