E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What is the best long term suspension setup?

04-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
I have 2011 335i with sport pkg and the stock sport suspension was absolute crap. IME you will need more than just springs/dampers or coilovers to make it handle like a BMW should. I was not happy with my suspension until I also had M3 front and rear control arms, M3 front sway bar, rear subframe bushings, camber plates, plus wider stickier tires and an LSD. I have been mostly happy with Koni yellows and BMWPS springs, which lower the car 1/2” from sport suspension height, but am switching to coilovers soon for ride height adjustability.
I doubt ill go as far as you as I am trying to funnel some more $$ into my M coupe fund, but if I was, I would go a pretty identical route.

I think for my DD I will be suffice with M3 front control arms, KW/ST coilovers, M3 front sway bar, and MAYBE subframe bushings/inserts. I would love to do a diff but given my car is a 2011 manual, they are pretty damn expensive and I would rather put the money elsewhere.

The OEM sport suspension really sucks on these cars, it is over sprung and underdamped making it feel incredibly unpredictable. In comparison to the spiritual predecessor of my car, the E46 ZHP, the E46 suspension blows it away. This is the same case with it's successor, the F30 Msport.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #24
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I doubt ill go as far as you as I am trying to funnel some more $$ into my M coupe fund, but if I was, I would go a pretty identical route.

I think for my DD I will be suffice with M3 front control arms, KW/ST coilovers, M3 front sway bar, and MAYBE subframe bushings/inserts. I would love to do a diff but given my car is a 2011 manual, they are pretty damn expensive and I would rather put the money elsewhere.

The OEM sport suspension really sucks on these cars, it is over sprung and underdamped making it feel incredibly unpredictable. In comparison to the spiritual predecessor of my car, the E46 ZHP, the E46 suspension blows it away. This is the same case with it's successor, the F30 Msport.
Yup, I came from an E46 coupe before my E90 too. I never felt the need to change anything on the E46 except tires, and the E90 suspension was a huge disappointment in comparison.

You certainly don’t need to do all the same mods I did, but my experience in modding the E90 suspension was that it was a bit of a slippery slope, once I started upgrading stuff the next weakest link in the chain was revealed, and it took several rounds of mods before I was satisfied with how it felt driving the car.

Last edited by DrRobert; 04-06-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0