E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Wheel Oxidation

09-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #23
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

As some mentioned, that looks definitely like wheel cleaner or similar chemicals either used on to hot wheels or left on to long before rins off and it started drying out and burning in.

People often think not much can happen with cleaners, but using chemicals on hot surfaces or letting it sit to long can cause serious issues to the clear coat and burn in or start to peel off. Not only on wheels but also the car paint itself.

Burn in can be polished but a peel of needs a repaint…
Appreciate 1
colo3Kid154.50
      09-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #24
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
As some mentioned, that looks definitely like wheel cleaner or similar chemicals either used on to hot wheels or left on to long before rins off and it started drying out and burning in.

People often think not much can happen with cleaners, but using chemicals on hot surfaces or letting it sit to long can cause serious issues to the clear coat and burn in or start to peel off. Not only on wheels but also the car paint itself.

Burn in can be polished but a peel of needs a repaint…
This sounds logical to me as well. Something left on like chemical or was after washing and allowed to dry. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned using a brushless / touchless car wash? Maybe, chemicals again although not an abrasive wash.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1829.50
      09-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #25
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo3Kid View Post
This sounds logical to me as well. Something left on like chemical or was after washing and allowed to dry. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned using a brushless / touchless car wash? Maybe, chemicals again although not an abrasive wash.
Exactly, it doesn't matter if you do a brushless or touchless wash but leave on chemicals too long or use them on hot surfaces or don't rinse off good enough.

Mechanical wash would only leave scratches but not burned in staines like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #26
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2025 M3 Comp xDrive

Woah that is definitely product on the wheels. Two possibly scenarios here. This could be really superficial. Sometimes when you leave a product on too long, a really light pass by hand with polish can help. I'd use like an M105 or something. I always get good results with that by hand. It's my go to for places that you need to work by hand like in behind the door handles, etc.

The second scenario is that the surface of the paint was really etched by the chemical. In this case, you will likely need a pro to machine polish the wheel. In any case, this is why I only apply wheel cleaning product to wet rims. I also stick to stuff that is pretty benign. I will use a harsher cleaner, but only if mild stuff won't take it off.
2019 MB AMG C43 (Sold)
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0