12-10-2023, 01:15 PM   #23
MrTiger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Funny enough, when this topic came up last time, I remember going to cars.com to see if any G87s were for sale with the buckets vs the couches. There was one car with the carbon package and was listed at $84K. Looked again after this thread, plenty of G87s for sale, zero with the buckets.
The buckets absolutely command a premium over the standard seats, how much will vary from car to car, could be $5K, could be $15K, nobody really knows.
Lets be real people. No one in their right mind will pay 15 or even 5 K over some seats. No matter if they are better looking or more comfortable etc. Also, at the end of the day this is a street car not a purpose build race car so regular seats are more than enough.
Appreciate 6
      12-10-2023, 01:20 PM   #24
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I love how people make fun of or take jabs at the M Sport seats (or couches as you say...its not like the M Sport seats are like a bench seat from the 60s or 70s)
Look at any performance car forum with options for upgraded bucket seats, Porsche, C8Z vette, etc...they all call the standard seats couches. It's not like the regular seats are out of a Capris Classic and do an adequate job holding you in place. Again, I experienced them first hand at Thermal Raceway. For what they're designed to do, they do a great job.
      12-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #25
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
It would be helpful to know how many cars were ordered with buckets vis a vis standard seats before making acclimations about premium pricing, resale value, higher demand etc. A single example cited from cars.com is hardly representative of the market, simply a moment in time. However, “nobody really knows” might be the most intuitive post so far.
Yes and judging by the results of the poll so far one can assume thar cars with the M Sport seats are sold more than M2s with the buckets and that can be a reason why there are more cars for sale woth the M Sport seats in the second hand market.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #26
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Look at any performance car forum with options for upgraded bucket seats, Porsche, C8Z vette, etc...they all call the standard seats couches. It's not like the regular seats are out of a Capris Classic and do an adequate job holding you in place. Again, I experienced them first hand at Thermal Raceway. For what they're designed to do, they do a great job.
Watch yourself young fellow. Way back when, I bought a brand new fully loaded 1977 Caprice Classic with couches for $5150. Carbon buckets weren’t optional but I loved the power antenna.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2023, 01:52 PM   #27
FryCookOnVenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 (Preorder), Toyota 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Yes and judging by the results of the poll so far one can assume thar cars with the M Sport seats are sold more than M2s with the buckets and that can be a reason why there are more cars for sale woth the M Sport seats in the second hand market.
I don't think you can draw that conclusion because this poll suffers from a massive selection bias.

I suspect that amongst all M2 owners, M2 owners on BimmerPost are far more likely to opt for buckets that M2 owners not on BimmerPost.

Maybe someone here has access to sales numbers, but I'd guess that in total, the bucket take rate is much lower than what this poll is showing.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #28
averagemike11
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just bought a M2 with buckets. Would be willing to trade anyone with black seats plus 10k.
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      12-10-2023, 02:04 PM   #29
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

The regular sport seats over the carbon buckets every time....if for no other reason than the care of ones `man berries'.
Appreciate 3
aerobod3727.00
Geighty71667.00
      12-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #30
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

Bucket seats do come with a M Performance protective cup.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:35 PM   #31
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

the idea that you paying 10k for seats will support your resale down the line is laughable at best. buy them if you want them, but making any assumptions about resale... you'd be better off playing the stock market.
Appreciate 3
baj_baj182.50
Lawsoc129.50
      12-10-2023, 08:20 PM   #32
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
the idea that you paying 10k for seats will support your resale down the line is laughable at best. buy them if you want them, but making any assumptions about resale... you'd be better off playing the stock market.
Seats cost $4k though.
I guess the story is the same with the CF roof.

Time will tell. Get what fits your lifestyle is what I say.

The seats were unavailable for a good while, so regular seats will be the vast majority. Plus, ingress/egress issues and body type issues will make the buckets more rare too.

And scarcity sometimes means higher price if the demand is there.

I’m happy with mine, and voted as such. I’d need more than a test drive (maybe a couple of days) to test the buckets to see if they’d fit my lifestyle. I’m sure I fit in them, but not how I’d feel after a while with the issues it has.
Appreciate 3
Ronin76873.50
Carefree1770.50
      12-10-2023, 08:45 PM   #33
Bearded-Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (G87) and X3m40i

I have lost a lot of weight and the ingress in kinda sucks for the bucket sets for me currently. Also this is my first M car, maybe if i got a CS or M3 down the road sure carbon buckets but naw not for this one. I did how ever option the carbon roof and carbon trim which i can not wait for it to get here.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76873.50
      12-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #34
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Seats cost $4k though.
I guess the story is the same with the CF roof.

Time will tell. Get what fits your lifestyle is what I say.

The seats were unavailable for a good while, so regular seats will be the vast majority. Plus, ingress/egress issues and body type issues will make the buckets more rare too.

And scarcity sometimes means higher price if the demand is there.

I’m happy with mine, and voted as such. I’d need more than a test drive (maybe a couple of days) to test the buckets to see if they’d fit my lifestyle. I’m sure I fit in them, but not how I’d feel after a while with the issues it has.
Bingo
Different strokes for different folks (dating myself and yeah, I saw The Beatles)
Appreciate 1
M2siast6003.50
      12-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #35
Lex Templar
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCuv View Post
The carbon buckets are the best seats available for purchase in a car today. I’ve taken trips, I’ve daily’d it, it’s a manual & I heel/toe just fine. Do what you like. If you choose the couches you’ll bitch about the carbons being bad for 100reasons to justify your boring seats. If you get the carbon buckets, carbon roof, manual trans, all the reasons this car rules - you’ll never look back- and your resale will be better because it’s the only configuration of this car anyone will care about.
This is pretty good. I love the combination of manual, carbon everything and carbon seats. It does feel very special and exactly how my car was ordered.

Last edited by Lex Templar; 12-10-2023 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:57 AM   #36
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Where can you buy buckets for 4K?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:27 AM   #37
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Where can you buy buckets for 4K?
From BMW. You just spec the car with them.
With them the car will cost $4k more than the one without them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:13 AM   #38
Biglife
Rep
Drives: 24 G87 M2

I purchased the factory spec M2 that my dealer received, which came with sport seats and paddles. After driving it for 5 months I decided to spec their next allocation with buckets and a manual. It should arrive in about a month. In my opinion, that will be the winning combo. FWIW I track it quite often.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:14 AM   #39
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I don’t think this debate will ever end between seats. The only answer is to doubt both and opt in for 1 piece fitted carbon brides or recaros with 5pt harness
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:14 AM   #40
Drhoyle
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
The carbon buckets are the best seats available for purchase in a car today. I’ve taken trips, I’ve daily’d it, it’s a manual & I heel/toe just fine. Do what you like. If you choose the couches you’ll bitch about the carbons being bad for 100reasons to justify your boring seats. If you get the carbon buckets, carbon roof, manual trans, all the reasons this car rules - you’ll never look back- and your resale will be better because it’s the only configuration of this car anyone will care about.
What a load of absolute rubbish. Totally personal choice and opinion. I have the standard seats and am 100% happy with them. Go with what you prefer and can afford!
Appreciate 3
Ronin76873.50
Lawsoc129.50
      12-11-2023, 05:37 AM   #41
Chris13002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

I've had two allocations and ended up keeping my HEA model with the regular sports "couch" seats. Like people here say, it's more personal preference. For the extra money I would have spent on the carbon buckets, I used it for the extended warranty instead. My girlfriend also appreciates the sports seats(we both found more comfortable) as we are doing cross-country trips across the US. Sitting in the carbon buckets felt initially comfortable as they hugged you, but I had to take everything out of my pockets each time I got in. Sure the carbon buckets look better and are more rare, but if you want the "ultimate spec" track car, wait for the M2 CS.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:50 AM   #42
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garenne87 View Post
I ordered with the standard seats but I would have liked with the carbon bucket seats... problem in France is the ecological penalty which increases the bill. the penalty is 40,000 euros
Ecological penalty for seats? Could you explain I’m curious 🧐.

Sadly the seats weren’t an option for me I do like them and were I buying in another country I would have gone for them 100% the M2 in Thailand is 160k USD the buckets are like a 10k standalone option cause we already get the carbon roof and interior as standard.

A younger single me would have scoffed at the buckets as flashy heavy shite vs a recaro pole position but the fact they are electrically adjustable the married me likes that the wife can just jump in a drive with minimal complaints. I think they are great compromise between a real bucket and comfort.

Zero complaints about stock seats they do the job still look great and are super comfy my only complaint would be that’s a lot of padding taking away from the feel of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:55 AM   #43
KCuv
Platinum Member
Rep
Drives: Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryCookOnVenus View Post
I get that this comment is meant to convince us how unshakably confident you are in your choice, but it’s having the opposite effect.
thats not it. its just a very matter of fact thing that is getting beaten to death on this forum and its exhausting. yes, one is better than the other. the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post

The BMW buckets are the best on the market? I suggest checking out the seats in some other high end European cars or even the (you didn't limit your statement to price of car).

Lastly, no, the cf buckets to not add to resale value unless you are selling privately and find the right buyer. If trading in or "general" private sale, they will hurt the value. also keep in mind, the cf buckets added around $6k, you think you will get that much more versus a car with M Sport seats (I think not but this is just my opinion).
yes in fact I have. previously the best seats you could buy were the PCar buckets. they don't adjust, these do. new ones on top.

yes it will effect resale, just wait. when a car is on cargurus/pcarmarket/carsandbids/autotrader.you name it. Just like other niche performance cars. the ones that have the good options WILL get the attention. people will pass up on auto cars and ones without the desirable options.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:57 AM   #44
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes in fact I have. previously the best seats you could buy were the PCar buckets. they don't adjust, these do. new ones on top.

yes it will effect resale, just wait. when a car is on cargurus/pcarmarket/carsandbids/autotrader.you name it. Just like other niche performance cars. the ones that have the good options WILL get the attention. people will pass up on auto cars and ones without the desirable options.
You’ve developed a corollary to the “opinions are like assholes, everybody has one” to “every asshole has an opinion”. Love you some Charles Sanders Peirce right?
Appreciate 2
Ronin76873.50
M2siast6003.50