F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > GTR Tranny Blown. Nissan denies warranty, because stability control was turned off
Studio RSR

10-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Just another reason I stay away from Nissan and Infiniti.

I've heard tons of stories about shady dealings with Nissan/Infiniti. Enough that I won't buy a Nissan product ever. No matter how much I like the G37 coupe, if I really want a sporty luxury car I'll stick to getting a BMW or Audi. If I'm dead set on getting something Japanese then I'll go with a Lexus. At least you can drive those into the ground.
      10-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Imaging having a computer and being told you cannot use it at the maximum performance setting without voiding your warranty.

Or having a camera and not being able to use its highest resolution setting.

You CANNOT offer a key performance differentiator in a product and then put down a condition saying that if you do try to replicate that performance you will lose your warranty - since the product will break.

Thats just shoddy product quality.

In many industries this is illegal.

F*ck Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

I've heard tons of stories about shady dealings with Nissan/Infiniti. Enough that I won't buy a Nissan product ever. No matter how much I like the G37 coupe, if I really want a sporty luxury car I'll stick to getting a BMW or Audi. If I'm dead set on getting something Japanese then I'll go with a Lexus. At least you can drive those into the ground.
So this is common across both the brands then? Can you share some stories, it could help us out in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #26
AV9
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

hated the gt-r since day 1 now i can come out and flat out say it!
screw the gt-r! overrated piece of shit!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #27
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

im not reading that whole thread. is this issue really as simple as "VDC turned off = drivetrain wawrranty voided"? or is there additional criteria, like a few launches being ok, but launching from every red light and stop sign you come to not being ok?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #28
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
So you're saying the car shouldn't be hitting the performance numbers that Nissan put out there for the world to see and that the only way to get 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 mile in 11.6 sec(can't remember for sure) is to void your warranty and disable traction control? That sounds normal and fair to you?

This isn't a discussion about how many times he launched. In this case, he launched like 20 times since he's had the car. The fact is that the tranny is wear, it only comes in AT, and as soon as you disable VDC you've voided at the very least your transmission warranty if not all of it. Yep, I'm sure all the Nissan sales reps let their customers know about that BEFORE they put their deposits down...

I'm sorry, but the luster on the GT-R is gone. Give me a R34 anyday.
Didn't the thread state that the owner is aware of all these things before signing the paper? There were multiple discussions in there stating what was and wasn't stated/said during the time of purchase.

In any case Nissan did build a car capable of those times. Repeatedly is a different matter. No car magazine AFAIK states that 0-60 in any tested car is capable of times in an unlimited number of launches. They just state these times are achievable. If a magazine or other source says that the warranty will be voided, so be it. A customer should spend the time researching reviews, especially since reviewers get the car months ahead of production, before purchasing the vehicle.

This is a big problem to the misinformed consumer - but to expect a warranty to cover something you purposely beat the sh*t out of is begging too much.

The "secret" launch control on the E46 M3 and Ferrari aren't covered by warranty by either make as well. If you want those magazine times, go for it, but you have to make a huge sacrifice.
      10-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

I would really like Nissan to SHOW us how to drive this car,, while keeping the powertrain warrenty. A nice shinney new commercial would work, on primetime tv.

Also, if this guy can offord a GT-R,, he should have or know a buddy that practices law.

This is going to get really interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #30
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Well, so much for Nissan!!!
      10-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #31
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:

I have had 3 Z's, a Maxima, 2 Titans and they were all some of the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Much more so than my 335 was. How many have you owned?
      10-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #32
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Would Chevy cover the clutch under warranty of I bought a Z06 and launched at 6500RPM's 20 times?
      10-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #33
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Would Chevy cover the clutch under warranty of I bought a Z06 and launched at 6500RPM's 20 times?
Probably not

The GT-R launches at 4500rpm. For an AWD car, that is EXTREME TRANSMISSION STRESS. We should be thankful they even allowed LC to be in the car where as many choose to disable it.

I don't see why people are complaing when the M3 CSL was the same, launch it a couple times and the warranty is void.

The OP of the thread never mentioned how many times he launched it, probably for good reasons too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Oh yes because 335i fuel pumps weren't a big issue.

I haven't heard a problem coming from the Nissan camp as big as a fuel pump failure that causes the car to stall while moving.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #35
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
The "secret" launch control on the E46 M3 and Ferrari aren't covered by warranty by either make as well. If you want those magazine times, go for it, but you have to make a huge sacrifice.
In the U.S. BMW will not void ANYTHING for using launch control. That is a fact. I'm not sure what "secret" you are referring to either.

To expand on this... with BMW in the U.S., any part of your warranty CANNOT be voided for using a feature of the vehicle. i.e. launch control. It's the law. This feature was intended to be used. Outside the U.S. it is a different story. Outside the U.S. they also get a much higher launch. U.S. launch = 1,800rpm. Outside U.S. = 3,800rpm iirc.

As for the example of dropping the clutch of a manual at 6,500rpms, well that is not a specific feature provided by BMW (sorry, no such thing as "drop your clutch at 6,500rpm mode, lol). Thus, you are at their mercy.

I'm am not speaking for Nissan though.

Last edited by astris; 10-09-2008 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #36
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

You take an Altima, make it fast, and expect the Altima parts to withstand real world racing.

The GTR is a fast car, but it ain't no Skyline. Every corner was cut to keep costs down. Stress failures do not surprise me.
      10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
In the U.S. BMW will not void ANYTHING for using launch control. That is a fact. I'm not sure what "secret" you are referring to either.
Won't they not give you a free clutch if you use it more than 20 time, or something along those lines?

Either way,not getting a free clutch (something that usually isn't free period), versus having your driveline warranty voided is a HUGE HUGE difference.

I don't understand how it's even legal for them to do this. It'd be like including 7 gears in a gearbox, but telling the customer their warranty would be voided if they used gear number 7. Or having a rain sensor, but telling customers they were SOL if they used it. Hell, it's like the plug-in cupholder on the 1/6! It's available, but if you plug in the cup holder, bye bye warranty!!

I don't see how Nissan has a leg to stand on legally. I don't think you can void someone's warranty for using an advertised feature, much less turning off traction control. Pretty sure Magnusson Moss covers this, but I could be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #38
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Long live the R34!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #39
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Won't they not give you a free clutch if you use it more than 20 time, or something along those lines?

Either way,not getting a free clutch (something that usually isn't free period), versus having your driveline warranty voided is a HUGE HUGE difference.

I don't understand how it's even legal for them to do this. It'd be like including 7 gears in a gearbox, but telling the customer their warranty would be voided if they used gear number 7. Or having a rain sensor, but telling customers they were SOL if they used it. Hell, it's like the plug-in cupholder on the 1/6! It's available, but if you plug in the cup holder, bye bye warranty!!

I don't see how Nissan has a leg to stand on legally. I don't think you can void someone's warranty for using an advertised feature, much less turning off traction control. Pretty sure Magnusson Moss covers this, but I could be wrong...
I don't know about the clutch specifically, but there are no limitations in the U.S. in regards to your warranty.

And basically you are correct.

I added to my original post to clarify this a bit. See my post above.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #40
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
...As for the example of dropping the clutch of a manual at 6,500rpms, well that is not a specific feature provided by BMW (sorry, no such thing as "drop your clutch at 6,500rpm mode, lol). Thus, you are at their mercy.

I'm am not speaking for Nissan though.
I'll quote McDuck from the GTR Forum:

"Launch control is NOT a feature and is NOT an option. For it to be either, it would have to be documented in writing by Nissan. Nowhere in their sales literature, manuals, service documentation, or anything else from Nissan does it say the car has LC. So, it does not qualify as an "option you can't use".

It is more like a cheat code for a game that you're not supposed to know. The company is never going to provide documentation of its existence, so you use it at your own peril. "
      10-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #41
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

This "Launch Control" is done by turning off VDC. Here's what Nissan says about VDC. Nissan warns you not to drive the vehicle with VDC turned off.
Attached Images

10-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

lame...

The new GTR is ugly and this just makes me hate them more. It looks like a 350z from the front with a different ass. Even the 350z is a heavy slow slug... I want a R34
      10-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #43
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

easy resolution, i'll take the $20k they want for the new trans, hire an lawyer, and sue the shit out of Nissan.. !!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #44
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Since I don't feel like quoting and individually replying to each of the guys questioning my opinion, I'll go ahead and respond in one big post. So this is to Gonzo and vAnt826.

First off my family has owned in the past a 300zx, 2 Maximas, and a Infiniti i30.

Second, I wasn't questioning their reliability was I? I didn't say the cars were shit, I said shady dealings. Don't read what you want to see, read what I wrote.

Third, with all those cars the Nissan dealers we dealt with were extremely unhelpful and didn't care about the customer. In the sales process they were excellent, but when it came to service they blew. One time the manual recliner lever in one of the Maximas broke and instead of replacing it within warranty they tried to blame my dad for abusing it. If you guys knew my dad and how he takes car of cars you would understand that is bullshit. The 300 was unreliable according to my mom who drove it. Some of my friends that have Nissans also have to fight with the dealers to get stuff fixed. To me, that is shady dealings. You may have different experiences, thats wonderful, but I won't own a Nissan product.