08-27-2023, 06:18 AM   #23
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreM2 View Post
Misha is far off to be a Pro!

He knows the Nurburgring very good but he is for sure no racing car driver.
I would say, Misha is something in between at least regarding the Nürburgring! He is/was also racing VLN series/24h on the Nürburgring in race cars. And since he has done thousands of laps in street legal cars on the Ring, I think, there are few full pros, which are much faster on street legal/stock cars on the Ring than Misha ... because of said experience!
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 06:31 AM   #24
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
No, lowered springs and HAS are different.
That guy messed with springs, wheels and tires for aesthetic reasons and made the car's dynamics worse.
On the road at slow speed it might be negligible, but on a (bouncy) track driving at those levels an experienced driver can feel the difference.
Exactly. You can of course mess up the whole setup with lowering springs not matched to the (stock) dampers. Taking the BMW M Perf HAS (with the recommended settings) does not diminish performance. Rather the opposite. There was test done by a magazine, where the M came with the M Perf HAS and was faster than stock. Have to look it up...
Appreciate 4
ronin130131002.00
FrozenGT1142.50
Tag18453.00
      08-27-2023, 07:08 AM   #25
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I’m pretty sure you are wrong about this. The G8x cars have a brake by wire system, pioneered in the M8. In other words, there is no direct mechanical connection between the brake pedal and the calipers.

Quick search to find this https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/08/05/f...e-2021-bmw-m3/
I’m sure you can find it in the official BMW literature as well.

Anyway, whatever you felt in the pedal is part of the braking algorithm. All I’m saying that some people have had weird pedal feel at the track - then again I don’t have direct experience and who knows, they may have had a malfunctioning brake system.
BMW is using this: https://www.bosch-mobility.com/media...1.1_en_neu.pdf

BMW calls it DSCi, and it eliminates the vacuum pump.

Attached is the doc on an E46, dating back to 2000. DSC was implemented in the 1990s…
If you think about it, none of the features BMWs have had for years would’ve been possible without electronic control (DSC):
- Hill Descent control
- auto braking (auto cruise)
- dry braking
- brake standby
- hill launch
- fading compensation
- Cornering brake control
- e-diff simulator
- torque vectoring simulator

All exist for a couple of decades and have been done electronically.

Now the vacuum pump is removed.
Brake-by-wire was implemented in the 2000s (used for electronic braking concepts above, which all modern BMWs have).
BMW has implemented disconnected and connected versions of the drive-by-wire system.
https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/tec...SCi.pdf#page12

I’d be curious to see documentation on the M2/M3 being “disconnected”.

PS: an interesting note is that all of that information “knowledgeable people” brought saying the rear callipers being single piston was done to “integrate with parking brake” is now disproven. DSCi brakes all four wheels, and does it without problem on any system (however many pistons the calliper has).
Attached Images

Last edited by M2siast; 08-27-2023 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #26
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin13013 View Post
High Speeds!
LOL the look on the guys face. LOL destroy your girl, then rip her apart. bad grip bad this, needs more work to the body. LOL hahahahaha. Too funny.
Appreciate 1
ourlee932.00
      08-27-2023, 09:02 AM   #27
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
LOL the look on the guys face. LOL destroy your girl, then rip her apart. bad grip bad this, needs more work to the body. LOL hahahahaha. Too funny.
Also that said, I am gong to BMW to look at one maybe buy one. GT4 are not available and the dealer is pushing me a GTS. Either 911 or Cayman, need suspension for track days.

A BMW worthy of it since the F80. Hopefully more driven than parked.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #28
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

In the States You can find used Gt4s with low miles for about 120k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
Also that said, I am gong to BMW to look at one maybe buy one. GT4 are not available and the dealer is pushing me a GTS. Either 911 or Cayman, need suspension for track days.

A BMW worthy of it since the F80. Hopefully more driven than parked.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
///M TOWN22103.00
      08-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #29
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
No, lowered springs and HAS are different.
That guy messed with springs, wheels and tires for aesthetic reasons and made the car's dynamics worse.
On the road at slow speed it might be negligible, but on a (bouncy) track driving at those levels an experienced driver can feel the difference.
Yup lowering springs increase spring rate and need more rebound damping to control the rate.
Appreciate 3
Mavus2038.50
Trogster472.50
///M TOWN22103.00
      08-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #30
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E63M6_G42M240i View Post
Yup lowering springs increase spring rate and need more rebound damping to control the rate.
And if I'm not mistaken, it seems to have a square set-up, so probably /30 instead of /35 front tires (hence the non-starred PS4S), making the ride even stiffer. Worst decision ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #31
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.01]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Very interesting to hear him say the BMW specific PS4S(star spec) tires on the G8x are nearly Cup 2's.

He certainly was not fan of the normal PS4S on that M2, he said the car definitely needed more grip.
They are definitely better than standard issue 4S spec

Stiffer sidewall and better rubber compound so it’s definitely the tire choice I’d be running
      08-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #32
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.01]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
800 miles

better get the oil changes done, still on break-in oils
I bet it’s already done ✅
      08-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #33
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
PS: an interesting note is that all of that information “knowledgeable people” brought saying the rear callipers being single piston was done to “integrate with parking brake” is now disproven. DSCi brakes all four wheels, and does it without problem on any system (however many pistons the calliper has).
The electric parking brake function is supplemental to DSCi, though. There is no restriction placed on the number of pistons by DSCi, but the standard design for parking brake activation used by BMW and VAG (including some Porsches) uses a lead screw driven by a motor on the caliper. Using anything other than a single piston with a floating caliper is a lot more complicated and is better replaced by a dual caliper design used by, for example Alfa Romeo, where the parking brake has it’s own dedicated caliper on the same brake rotor.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5996.00
      08-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #34
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Kinda annoys me the way he drives on the ring. I know he drives on the ring like every day but he is so so aggressive , it’s pretty dangerous. Would never let him drive my car there. Don’t really get the people who let him thrash their cars. It’s like letting someone take your wife out for a night

I don’t mean this in terms of driving the car hard, more so in terms of how aggressive he is passing people with no space or when it’s unclear they actually see him or not. He is often upset in videos about people not getting out of his way but some of those situations he has put himself into by riding up their persons butt when they don’t really have much room to get over.
Appreciate 1
AndreM2124.00
      08-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #35
GT3M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, 996 Turbo, 1290 SDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
Kinda annoys me the way he drives on the ring. I know he drives on the ring like every day but he is so so aggressive , it’s pretty dangerous. Would never let him drive my car there. Don’t really get the people who let him thrash their cars. It’s like letting someone take your wife out for a night

I don’t mean this in terms of driving the car hard, more so in terms of how aggressive he is passing people with no space or when it’s unclear they actually see him or not. He is often upset in videos about people not getting out of his way but some of those situations he has put himself into by riding up their persons butt when they don’t really have much room to get over.
How many laps at the ring do you have?

-GT3M2
Appreciate 5
      08-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #36
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The electric parking brake function is supplemental to DSCi, though. There is no restriction placed on the number of pistons by DSCi, but the standard design for parking brake activation used by BMW and VAG (including some Porsches) uses a lead screw driven by a motor on the caliper. Using anything other than a single piston with a floating caliper is a lot more complicated and is better replaced by a dual caliper design used by, for example Alfa Romeo, where the parking brake has it’s own dedicated caliper on the same brake rotor.
I’m familiar with that screw operated parking brake in the F25 I had.
I haven’t checked the G87, does it still use that? Or is it using the new DSCi 4 wheel parking brake?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #37
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

You’re sounding like those people that comment “I don’t care if there are no speed limits, driving 250km/h on the autobahn is dangerous!”

You have to be there to know. It’s impossible to judge if other people have seen him and have moved over for him to pass.

Be careful with the armchair quarterbacking. When we don’t know it for sure, we can’t judge it.
Appreciate 9
      08-27-2023, 11:44 AM   #38
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:

I’m familiar with that screw operated parking brake in the F25 I had.
I haven’t checked the G87, does it still use that? Or is it using the new DSCi 4 wheel parking brake?
It certainly has motors on the calipers, you can hear them activate. This is the parking brake actuator used directly on the M2 calipers: https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW_2023_M2-Co...216870567.html
Appreciate 1
M2siast5996.00
      08-27-2023, 11:46 AM   #39
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:

I drove the Ring right after the Spa F1 race last year. It was incredible experience.

I do not see excessive aggressiveness from Misha's videos. I do see other drivers not doing a good job of checking their mirrors though.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 5
      08-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #40
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It certainly has motors on the calipers, you can hear them activate. This is the parking brake actuator used directly on the M2 calipers: https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW_2023_M2-Co...216870567.html
Thanks for confirming. That means only the rear brakes are operated with the parking brake. Shame. Plus, another part that wasn’t needed. Or maybe it is, not sure how the DSCi was implemented in the G8X. Not very clear.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3721.00
      08-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #41
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. That means only the rear brakes are operated with the parking brake. Shame. Plus, another part that wasn’t needed. Or maybe it is, not sure how the DSCi was implemented in the G8X. Not very clear.
From a redundancy perspective with a manual transmission, it likely is needed in case of DSCi failure in a parked car, as failsafe mode for the motor driven parking brake is "brake-on". From an i-series car or potentially auto-only ICE & hybrid vehicles with transmission pawls/locks, perhaps it is not needed. Bear in mind that outside of North America there are still quite a few manual versions of different BMW cars being produced, once the manuals have disappeared from all model lines, then the motor driven parking brake will probably be retired.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5996.00
      08-27-2023, 02:46 PM   #42
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:

I don't think he drives aggressively at all. And he waits when he needs to and even thanks/compliments the drivers who signal intentions.

The thing is, when the speed differential is high, you *know* you can pass a car before they can change directions and block your path. I think that is what you think is aggressive from the videos. But in fact, it is safer to blow by a slower car, than to try to pass with a lower speed differential. With a lower speed differential it takes a lot longer to pass a car - during that time they can veer into your line or not be able to hold the line as you are passing in a corner.

Just my 2 cents.
M4ord821.50
P_Chris156.50
ronin130131002.00
      08-27-2023, 05:44 PM   #43
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

After market springs do one thing!! Lowers the car for street use. That’s why when you start pushing hard the car becomes unstable. The MP Has kit is the one is made to work with your stock dampers. Yes the KW looks the same but the springs have different tuning. The people who want the slammer look will also avoid the MP and buy some jank junk. If your going to track your car all the time..: just stay with the stock springs or buy a full coilover suspension.
Appreciate 1
Trogster472.50
      08-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #44
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

You guys are blaming the springs and saying the bmw adjustable springs are better? The problem arises when you remove travel and end up on the bumps tops. Doesn't matter what springs you are on really as non of them are all that stiff to begin with. What's the first thing mhas owners do? Slam the car as low as it goes and complain its too high lol.
Appreciate 2
JTO245279.00