E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 6MT poor gearchange - I think its the clutch

05-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
JamesUKE92
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

I've just removed my CDV today, and upon trying to bleed, ended up with no fluid in the system... The reservoir was up to the MAX mark, so I was mystified, and worried that I wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Eventually I noticed that the way the reservoir is partitioned for brake / clutch is bloody daft... There is a tiny tiny little partition at the back left (where the flexible woven reinforced pipe exits to clutch master). This is the only volume of fluid dedicated to clutch, and only flows in from the rest of the reservoir when it is absolutely brim full (way above the MAX line).

Hence it is very easy and not at all obvious that the reservoir can be at MAX level, but the clutch reserve is gone without even noticing what is wrong!!!!

After noticing this and keeping the reservoir absolutely full, I still couldn't satisfactorily bleed all the air out, and it's still a bit spongy but luckily drivable...

I even bought a pressure bleeder thinking that this would make things easier, but even at the full 20psi from the bleeder, no fluid comes from the bleeder, and still needed pumping from the pedal. I don't understand this, as others have said that pressure bleeders work on the E9X clutch.

I just noticed this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256352

It shows a method of bleeding the clutch by pumping fluid in from the bleed valve, and seems like the way to go. I'll be trying this next weekend hopefully.

This weird partitioning of the reservoir is a major gotcha of the CDV job, and others should be aware of this before attempting.

Last edited by JamesUKE92; 05-09-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 09:00 AM   #24
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesUKE92 View Post
I've just removed my CDV today, and upon trying to bleed, ended up with no fluid in the system... The reservoir was up to the MAX mark, so I was mystified, and worried that I wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Eventually I noticed that the way the reservoir is partitioned for brake / clutch is bloody daft... There is a tiny tiny little partition at the back left (where the flexible woven reinforced pipe exits to clutch master). This is the only volume of fluid dedicated to clutch, and only flows in from the rest of the reservoir when it is absolutely brim full (way above the MAX line).

Hence it is very easy and not at all obvious that the reservoir can be at MAX level, but the clutch reserve is gone without even noticing what is wrong!!!!

After noticing this and keeping the reservoir absolutely full, I still couldn't satisfactorily bleed all the air out, and it's still a bit spongy but luckily drivable...

I even bought a pressure bleeder thinking that this would make things easier, but even at the full 20psi from the bleeder, no fluid comes from the bleeder, and still needed pumping from the pedal. I don't understand this, as others have said that pressure bleeders work on the E9X clutch.

I just noticed this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256352

It shows a method of bleeding the clutch by pumping fluid in from the bleed valve, and seems like the way to go. I'll be trying this next weekend hopefully.

This weird partitioning of the reservoir is a major gotcha of the CDV job, and others should be aware of this before attempting.

You never posted back about if this was the solution to your slow shifting issues. Did the removal of the CDV completely solve it? Please respond 🙏
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 11:01 AM   #25
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzamani View Post
You never posted back about if this was the solution to your slow shifting issues. Did the removal of the CDV completely solve it? Please respond 🙏
They haven't been on the forum since 2011, good luck with getting a reply.
Appreciate 0