bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

View Poll Results: What oil cooler protection did you go with?
Mishimoto Skid Plate 43 25.90%
Turner Motorsport Skid Plate 5 3.01%
ZunSport Oil Cooler Grille 46 27.71%
Unlisted Brand 6 3.61%
DIY Protection 10 6.02%
Can't feel anything with protection, I'm raw doggin' it! 56 33.73%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

01-05-2024, 02:01 PM   #23
1slowspec3
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Seems everyone's getting some type of protection for their oil cooler. Can't blame them after seeing this thread.

What oil cooler protection did you go with?

To be fair I ordered mine in November after seeing how vulnerable this part of the car was. I bought the Southeast Coating & Fab Oil cooler skid plate. For $350 you cant go wrong. DM me if you want me to connect you!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 07:37 PM   #24
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

I got the turner skid plates
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M2siast5999.00
      01-05-2024, 08:19 PM   #25
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
We need myth busters to test these small rocks scenarios.
My estimate is that small rocks do not bounce up and damage the cooler. Only bigger chunks.
Especially when the cooler is hit in 2 spots, I can’t fathom the small rock bouncing so fast and hitting the cooler many times. It’s bigger chunks/concrete blocks/plastic bumper pieces/shredded tires…
I would agree it's probably those other items and not rocks (depending on where you drive). But sometimes you're not expecting it, nor can prepare for it. There's a nice curvy country road out by me that my son & I like to drive in my Z06. My Z06 with aero sits 3.25" off the ground. One day we're out on this road and come around a curve at about 70 mph when the road turns from paved to gravel. No construction sign warning, nothing. I had to slow the car down gradually and just listen to the rocks ping off the underside, side skirts, rear skirt flaps, etc. If my Z had an exposed oil cooler like the M2, I guarantee I'd be looking at a new engine like the poster in the other thread.

Another scenario is I drive from Dallas to Austin & back every weekend. The only reasonable route is I35, which is basically a junk yard of road debris. My 330e was hit by tire tread that caused $4k in damage. I also went through 3 front splitters over the course of 15 months due to being hit by or running over road debris.

So while some will scoff at the possibility of anything happening to their vehicle and the cost or practicality of these guards/screens, a little protection could go a long way for others.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5999.00
      01-05-2024, 08:25 PM   #26
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

I am just thinking that based on physics, if you drop something that bounce, at the most with perfect elasticity and no air friction, it could only bounce back up to the same spot at the most.

The more elastic the object is, the less damage it could do to the cooler.

That means to hit the oil cooler, the starting drop has to be higher than bottom of the cooler.

Only scenario I could think of is something hard dropped from real high and then the M2 quickly drive over it at the exact window for the object to be able to make it under the car and bounce it to hit the cooler. So I think to reduce the chance of that, we can drive real slow (consider this damage can't happen to a stopped car).

But again, I am no physics phD. (I am gonna ask people at my work since a lot of them have their phD in physics).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #27
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I would agree it's probably those other items and not rocks (depending on where you drive). But sometimes you're not expecting it, nor can prepare for it. There's a nice curvy country road out by me that my son & I like to drive in my Z06. My Z06 with aero sits 3.25" off the ground. One day we're out on this road and come around a curve at about 70 mph when the road turns from paved to gravel. No construction sign warning, nothing. I had to slow the car down gradually and just listen to the rocks ping off the underside, side skirts, rear skirt flaps, etc. If my Z had an exposed oil cooler like the M2, I guarantee I'd be looking at a new engine like the poster in the other thread.

Another scenario is I drive from Dallas to Austin & back every weekend. The only reasonable route is I35, which is basically a junk yard of road debris. My 330e was hit by tire tread that caused $4k in damage. I also went through 3 front splitters over the course of 15 months due to being hit by or running over road debris.

So while some will scoff at the possibility of anything happening to their vehicle and the cost or practicality of these guards/screens, a little protection could go a long way for others.
I think we can replace our front splitter with a plow to ensure no debris can get under our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:15 PM   #28
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumachu View Post
I am just thinking that based on physics, if you drop something that bounce, at the most with perfect elasticity and no air friction, it could only bounce back up to the same spot at the most.

The more elastic the object is, the less damage it could do to the cooler.

That means to hit the oil cooler, the starting drop has to be higher than bottom of the cooler.

Only scenario I could think of is something hard dropped from real high and then the M2 quickly drive over it at the exact window for the object to be able to make it under the car and bounce it to hit the cooler. So I think to reduce the chance of that, we can drive real slow (consider this damage can't happen to a stopped car).

But again, I am no physics phD. (I am gonna ask people at my work since a lot of them have their phD in physics).
There's a lot of air turbulence under a car which kicks up debris all the time. For instance, a car doing 65mph goes over a small pebble that was motionless on the ground which then gets kicked up into your oil cooler. Bang, it just had a ~65mph collision with your flimsy thin oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:35 PM   #29
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
There's a lot of air turbulence under a car which kicks up debris all the time. For instance, a car doing 65mph goes over a small pebble that was motionless on the ground which then gets kicked up into your oil cooler. Bang, it just had a ~65mph collision with your flimsy thin oil cooler.
Sorry I loled
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #30
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I actually couldn't figure out you are joking about that or not...
Did you mean the turbulence from the car in front or your own car?

Guess I never drive fast enough to create suction under my car
Appreciate 1
M2siast5999.00
      01-06-2024, 05:17 PM   #31
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I actually couldn't figure out you are joking about that or not...
Did you mean the turbulence from the car in front or your own car?

Guess I never drive fast enough to create suction under my car
A sport car creates low pressure underneath it which results in the air moving much faster under the car while the air above is moving slower and has higher pressure. That's how a sport car generates downforce. For example, a front splitter helps direct the air underneath the car, conversely the rear diffuser expands the fast moving air from under the car to help it evacuate. It's called the Bernoulli effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 05:50 PM   #32
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
A sport car creates low pressure underneath it which results in the air moving much faster under the car while the air above is moving slower and has higher pressure. That's how a sport car generates downforce. For example, a front splitter helps direct the air underneath the car, conversely the rear diffuser expands the fast moving air from under the car to help it evacuate. It's called the Bernoulli effect.
Stop it man, it was only funny the first time… quit while you’re ahead.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2024, 06:24 PM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the breakdown with the current tally of 69 votes.
  • 72% (50 members) have some type of oil cooler protection
  • Mishimoto and ZunSport are the most popular options, making up 62% of the total votes at the time of this writing.
  • Of those that opted to get Mishimoto or ZunSport it's nearly a 50/50 split with ZunSport ever so slightly edging out a few percentage points.
Didn't expect so many would end up getting something to protect their oil coolers. I would have guessed around ~30%. Too bad there weren't any group buys.
Over 90 votes now so the protection percentile is diluted.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:25 PM   #34
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have the adaptive cruise module installed of it blocks a fair amount of the middle. I figure if it’s a problem, enough people will end up doing a class action lawsuit.
Appreciate 1
psoto1360.00
      01-06-2024, 06:28 PM   #35
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't consider that being a possibility since the location of the cooler is way in the front, not the back. The car has to be real fast to generate enough force from the Bernoulli effect to suck up the object and the force needs to be large enough to accelerate the object to give it enough time to hit the cooler.

The part that I don't think it is possible because the faster the car goes to generate that force, the cooler will be moving faster (since it's part of the car), thus leaving the object less time to accelerate.

This is the diff eq math that I haven't done for a long while since college but it just seemed to me the going faster ain't going to make that scenario more possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:37 PM   #36
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Over 90 votes now so the protection percentile is diluted.
There are now 71% who voted that have some sort of oil cooler protection compared to 72% when there were less votes. Not a substantial swing.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:47 PM   #37
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

I am of the opinion that debris ALREADY TUMBLING from a vehicle in front could quite possibly bounce high enough to smack the oil cooler.

BUT....no matter the reason, several owners have had damage of some sort wipe out the oil cooler, and then axing the motor.

It sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:05 PM   #38
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
I am of the opinion that debris ALREADY TUMBLING from a vehicle in front could quite possibly bounce high enough to smack the oil cooler.

BUT....no matter the reason, several owners have had damage of some sort wipe out the oil cooler, and then axing the motor.

It sucks.
It certainly sucks, no argument on that.

I only saw two threads about cooler/radiator being hit.
the $1600 rock was the front, which totally imaginable.
the other one was driving a long trip and then notice low oil pressure and found the bottom cooler damaged.
To me it wasn't conclusive enough that it was for sure from a bouncing rock.
And it was that thread that got me thinking lot about this. I am just very interested in the math and physics of this since I am bit of a nerd lol

A plate certainly provide some protection from curbing regardless.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5999.00
      01-06-2024, 07:08 PM   #39
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
It certainly sucks, no argument on that.

I only saw two threads about cooler/radiator being hit.
the $1600 rock was the front, which totally imaginable.
the other one was driving a long trip and then notice low oil pressure and found the bottom cooler damaged.
To me it wasn't conclusive enough that it was for sure from a bouncing rock.
And it was that thread that got me thinking lot about this. I am just very interested in the math and physics of this since I am bit of a nerd lol

A plate certainly provide some protection from curbing regardless.

*You missed a post (in a thread) from BMW CA wherein he stated he knows of two that came into his dealership.

Edit: *evidently I cannot find it now...

Last edited by M_Power Rob; 01-06-2024 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:12 PM   #40
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:

It sucks.
While different heights, the oil cooler on my wife's X3MC, located in the same location, has several impact marks and damaged fins. Currently nobody makes a screen/guard for it, so I may have to make something myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #41
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
While different heights, the oil cooler on my wife's X3MC, located in the same location, has several impact marks and damaged fins. Currently nobody makes a screen/guard for it, so I may have to make something myself.
Yeah, this coupled with probably half the ride height on the M2 seems more likely to get potentially damaging impacts. My car will have both a Mishimoto or similar plate, AND screens for the front except for the brake ducting. Unless I get the MP Carbon Intakes....I do like the look of those and would hate to cover it with a screen......Hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:04 PM   #42
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, this coupled with probably half the ride height on the M2 seems more likely to get potentially damaging impacts. My car will have both a Mishimoto or similar plate, AND screens for the front except for the brake ducting. Unless I get the MP Carbon Intakes....I do like the look of those and would hate to cover it with a screen......Hmmmm.
With the ZunSport screens you'd still see the majority of the cf intake trim.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 2
DSTR1286.00
MG20i123.00
      01-08-2024, 09:26 AM   #43
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Poll just reached 100 votes. Current tally breakdown is as follows.
  • 68% have some type of oil cooler protection, down from the previous tally of 72%.
  • Mishimoto and ZunSport are the most popular options, making up 55% of the total votes. That's down from the previous tally of 62%.
  • Of those that opted to get Mishimoto or ZunSport it's still nearly a 50/50 split with ZunSport ever so slightly edging out a few percentage points.
  • Third most popular option is DIY, more than Turner Motorsport Skid Plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:57 AM   #44
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Poll just reached 100 votes. Current tally breakdown is as follows.
  • 68% have some type of oil cooler protection, down from the previous tally of 72%.
  • Mishimoto and ZunSport are the most popular options, making up 55% of the total votes. That's down from the previous tally of 62%.
  • Of those that opted to get Mishimoto or ZunSport it's still nearly a 50/50 split with ZunSport ever so slightly edging out a few percentage points.
  • Third most popular option is DIY, more than Turner Motorsport Skid Plate.
Save the Radiators!! Save the Oil Coolers!!
Appreciate 1
Tag18462.00