E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > xHP experiences and feedback

08-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #23
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Because it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
I swear the car actually feels faster now.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #24
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Just loaded DWRs tune tonight. Very nice. all the jerkiness is gone, tranny shifts so smooth and fast. I swear the car actually feels faster now.
Did you have a stg 3 previously? If, so curious your thoughts on how it compares to DWRs. I just got done installing xhp and also likely going with DWR's tune
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Did you have a stg 3 previously? If, so curious your thoughts on how it compares to DWRs. I just got done installing xhp and also likely going with DWR's tune
Where / how does one get this DWR tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #26
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive.

Quote:
Yup, I was running Stg3 previous to getting the DWR tune. There really is no comparison.
      08-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #27
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Because it is!
The part throttle pull on the highway (without gearing down) just blew my mind! It's slick. Can't wait to launch it.
      08-16-2017, 04:11 AM   #28
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Yup, I was running Stg3 previous to getting the DWR tune. There really is no comparison.
Well hell. I'm pretty broke currently. Suspension kit needs to get ordered. But if it's really that good, then I suppose I should get it. I'm wondering if it's possible to code in launch control. I'll bet it'd be extremely difficult, but would be so cool to have something like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. I'm still in that 50 mile break-in mode so have not fully tested stg 3 yet, but will probably PM DWR by end of day.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #30
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Quote:
How much is the DWR tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman View Post
Where / how does one get this DWR tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
How much is the DWR tune?
Message DWR. http://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=256022
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
Kasanova
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Is there anything out there other than the xHP for a trans flash. I think $210+USD is just ridiculous for a trans flash. I mean I paid $60usd for my Alpina B3 flash for my 335i Msport.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #33
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasanova View Post
Is there anything out there other than the xHP for a trans flash. I think $210+USD is just ridiculous for a trans flash. I mean I paid $60usd for my Alpina B3 flash for my 335i Msport.
$210 is dirt cheap for a good automatic transmission flash..

Now that I have personally done both my DME and transmission, I can tell you that the trans is much harder and takes far more time to get correct.

Firstly, this is virgin territory, very few people have done this and there are very few road maps.

To put this in perspective, a good TCU tune needs to manage shift points for all throttle settings for each gear and each mode, manual, sport, Alpina if you have it. Then there are shift pressure maps for each set both for oncoming clutches and another for off going clutches, then there are shift times, there are three sets for each mode and each shift. Don't forget there are up shifts and downshifts.

Oh ya, The TCU tells the DME how much torque to cute during each type of shift, so there is a torque management maps for each of these.

Almost forgot, the Torque Converter Clutch maps for hot, cold, manual and regular mods but releasing and clamping curves.

There is no way to get these right without road testing and more road testings both hot and cold and with transmissions of various age and state of health.

Now factor in product support, overheads and liabilities.

I hope you get the idea.

Edit: One more point, the Alpina tune is virtually freeware and was written by or for BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #34
Kasanova
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
$210 is dirt cheap for a good automatic transmission flash..

Now that I have personally done both my DME and transmission, I can tell you that the trans is much harder and takes far more time to get correct.

Firstly, this is virgin territory, very few people have done this and there are very few road maps.

To put this in perspective, a good TCU tune needs to manage shift points for all throttle settings for each gear and each mode, manual, sport, Alpina if you have it. Then there are shift pressure maps for each set both for oncoming clutches and another for off going clutches, then there are shift times, there are three sets for each mode and each shift. Don't forget there are up shifts and downshifts.

Oh ya, The TCU tells the DME how much torque to cute during each type of shift, so there is a torque management maps for each of these.

Almost forgot, the Torque Converter Clutch maps for hot, cold, manual and regular mods but releasing and clamping curves.

There is no way to get these right without road testing and more road testings both hot and cold and with transmissions of various age and state of health.

Now factor in product support, overheads and liabilities.

I hope you get the idea.

Edit: One more point, the Alpina tune is virtually freeware and was written by or for BMW
Oh wow, did not know this. I thought it was another freeware but this time for our diesel trans that someone was trying to capitalize on. Just like the codings, some shops are charging up to $250 to close the window with the remote, while I did it for less than $60 while I was waiting to fill out paperwork at the dealership. I guess I will give xHP a try since they did a lot to bring this out. Thank you for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #35
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasanova View Post
Oh wow, did not know this. I thought it was another freeware but this time for our diesel trans that someone was trying to capitalize on. Just like the codings, some shops are charging up to $250 to close the window with the remote, while I did it for less than $60 while I was waiting to fill out paperwork at the dealership. I guess I will give xHP a try since they did a lot to bring this out. Thank you for the explanation.
The tranny tune makes a big difference when DDE is also tuned. Stock not so much although still good if you have paddles If you do tune the tranny, go with DWR's tune. absolutely love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #36
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Hello, here is my input about Stage 3,
I have JR stage 2.5 335d with a straight pipe and running XHP stage 3 tune for the last 3 month on a daily basis, i got what they called "SUPER licence" where i bought all 3 stages and flash as a combo! NOW, im somewhat satisfied with S/SM but driving in D is what concern me, im pretty happy with extreme cold shifting (in D) and regular driving, but my concern with whatever latest version of stage 3 (im pretty sure 1.1 hybrid) of xHP is:

Transition or Changeover between when you drive your car normally and all of a sudden you want to "RIDE" certain (*3rd maybe 4th) gear till the redline!!!

Im attaching my rough drawing of how transmission shift behave compare to a throttle (pedal) input basing on my everyday driving.

Also with factory tune being all sluggish and much softer I never had this issue and i could drive WITH automatic transmission much easier (kinda work with it) and maybe because of this sloppiness or laziness trans never thought of going to a next gear at higher pedal levels!))) In my combo I have all 3 stages but im fairly happy with my current stage 3 so im NOT planning to try 2 nor 1!
Just like said before S and SM are pretty harsh and for SPECIAL OCCASIONS ONLY!))) But AT those occasions this tune works GREAT!)

PS: Drawing is not the best and the main idea of it just to share this "strange" behavior that im experiencing, maybe someone else have or had this!
I realize, to make it "PROPER" on this forum, I should support my concern with DashO, im thinking of getting and learning it but wanted to see if someone would be in need of such a file first!

EDIT: I never read this thread but i see some identical complaints, i REALLY hope xHP can look at Stage 3 behavior once again and refine it a bit more!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I have the latest stage 3 flash, and a few remarks.

Normal driving in D mode is pretty good, but it can use a tweak when going more than 50% throttle. It shifts too early under heavy load.

S mode is pretty harsh for regular driving, but I don't feel it was intended that way either. I have yet to use it on a track where it was designed.

Manual mode with paddle shifters is actually pretty good. The fast response and quick shifts make it much more fun to drive and dick around in the car.

^VERY well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCoal View Post
I also have the Stage 3 and agree with Wrecker335D
I have over 10k on the Stage 3 Trans tune.

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 11-19-2017 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #37
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Apparently xHP 2.0 is out that addresses a lot of previously desired refinements.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #38
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Apparently xHP 2.0 is out that addresses a lot of previously desired refinements.
^Hey, i didn't connect to my car but ive just did "Re-Download OTS Maps" in xHP app and the newest version of STAGE 3 is still 1.1 HYBRID

Yozh are you talking about Stage 3 version 2? And if yes where you got your info from?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #39
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Go to their Facebook page. It’s there. But my app has not updated yet either. Sure it imminent.
Appreciate 0