E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Would you rather use 8000mile 6m old oil or 1500mile 5yr old oil?

02-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
Just a random question, because most say to change 6 months or each year regardless of mileage. At the same time people run their synthetics 10k miles(not n54) before a change.

Curious what the modern take is on synthetics and how long they can sit? Does oil degrade so much over time you'd rather run 8000 mile 6month oil over 5 year old 1500 mile oil from a garage kept vehicle.(edited)
With the price of oil vs the price of a new motor.....I opt to spend the $30-$40 on fresh synthetic oil every 3,000 miles......so I don't ever have to answer a question like the one you asked. I probably only have 2,500 miles on the oil that's in my motor right now....but I'm going to change it this spring when I get the car out and start driving it around again.

Oils to cheap to even worry about how long it will last....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #24
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
Hope this (oil) thread will not explode.

The synthetic oil shelf (sealed bottle) life is 5-6 years.
The BMW Longlife E-series factory age is 2 years (max).
It is best to change engine oil at or before 2 year mark regardless of mileage.
If you live in a very dry climate (e.g. Nevada desert) you may be able to stretch it past 2 year mark

I clock 6-7K/year on my E91 N52K, change oil every 2 years with BMW TPT LL01 and BMW filter.
Engine has 103,337mi as of this morning, solo owner.
It is clean inside and outside, absolutely zero issues.

NA gasoline engines can take factory schedule without issues.
Turbo gasoline may benefit from more aggressive schedule.
Turbo diesel is more sensitive to oil quality, mileage and intervals
Where are you getting that from? Do you have documentation to back that up?

I'd bet money that if you sent brand new (but manufactured 6yrs ago) synthetic oil to Blackstone labs....they would have a hard time telling that it didn't just come off the shelf. In a properly sealed container....what's going to go bad??
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #25
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Where are you getting that from? Do you have documentation to back that up?

I'd bet money that if you sent brand new (but manufactured 6yrs ago) synthetic oil to Blackstone labs....they would have a hard time telling that it didn't just come off the shelf. In a properly sealed container....what's going to go bad??
iqraceworks - no scientific evidence. however, google search reveals interesting results from these two oil manufactures:

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...mobil-1-quarts
https://blog.amsoil.com/what-is-the-...ic-lubricants/

Personally, I "hope" that sealed synthetic motor container will retain oil quality for much longer than 5 years.

Last edited by POBEP; 02-09-2022 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #26
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
With the price of oil vs the price of a new motor.....I opt to spend the $30-$40 on fresh synthetic oil every 3,000 miles......so I don't ever have to answer a question like the one you asked. I probably only have 2,500 miles on the oil that's in my motor right now....but I'm going to change it this spring when I get the car out and start driving it around again.

Oils to cheap to even worry about how long it will last....
I dont know, I know its a weird question, I just feel like ya'll running 8-9-10k miles on a n54 is worse than using 1500mile oil thats been lightly used ina vehicle stored in a dry place and almost never sees natural condensation. - I know, im going to change the oil.

Last edited by C4maro; 02-09-2022 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #27
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I dont know, I know its a weird question, I just feel like ya'll running 8-9-10k miles on a n54 is worse than using 1500mile oil thats been lightly used ina vehicle stored in a dry place and almost never sees natural condensation. - I know, im going to change the oil.
Too many variables when you are talking about oil that's just been left sitting in the motor for a long time. How much fuel (if any) is the oil? What brand/type/weight of oil? What have the temperature swings been? What's the humidity like?

You can get a lot of condensation in the oil if it's really humid out and it's hot during the day and cold at night. The only way you don't get condensation is if you keep the car in a climate controlled shop or garage......and if you can afford that, you can afford $30 for fresh oil.

But honestly...you are talking about $30 worth of oil. That also goes for the guys who go 8,9,10K between oil changes...... oil is cheap, a new motor is not.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #28
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Too many variables when you are talking about oil that's just been left sitting in the motor for a long time. How much fuel (if any) is the oil? What brand/type/weight of oil? What have the temperature swings been? What's the humidity like?

You can get a lot of condensation in the oil if it's really humid out and it's hot during the day and cold at night. The only way you don't get condensation is if you keep the car in a climate controlled shop or garage......and if you can afford that, you can afford $30 for fresh oil.

But honestly...you are talking about $30 worth of oil. That also goes for the guys who go 8,9,10K between oil changes...... oil is cheap, a new motor is not.
30 thats cheap, over a hundred here.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
30 thats cheap, over a hundred here.
Just for the oil?? Or are you paying a shop to do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #30
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just for the oil?? Or are you paying a shop to do it for you?
Just for the oil at the store.
Appreciate 0