E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > To what areas are people applying PPF?

01-09-2023, 10:35 PM   #23
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
I am trying to decide if it is worth doing the entire carbon roof, it definitely adds $$ to the quotes I have gotten.
I am just thinking that having the roof ceramic coated would be enough, and in the event of some etching from bird crap or something that can be polished out?
Get the roof done. Good luck fixing that if it gets damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:59 PM   #24
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDr

Garage List
2023 is possibly the last fully combustion M3. Mine is a comp xd, official M 50 w frozen blue. So I went full for 6k through Tinting Chicago (xpel stealth) and tinted 40 front and 15 elsewhere (Rayno S9) for another 500. They did a great job.

A few other reasons I went full on the frozen is 1) I live in the city and don't trust ppl to open their doors (if a car is parked facing north and a strong wind is blowing from the south, doesn't matter how respectful the person opening the door is) and 2) frozen doesn't have a clear coat so chips easier and can't be buffed (gotta repaint).

Living in the Midwest, salt is a concern. Rear doors (behind the door but before the seal) accumulates water and thus salt in the G80. Still need to figure out something preventative there.
Appreciate 1
SetAlias227.00
      01-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #25
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
2023 is possibly the last fully combustion M3.
No, no it's not.
      01-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #26
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
No, no it's not.
Well that's what I was told at my dealership. Ie, "possibly." Not an absolute statement. But I appreciate the opportunity to clarify. That said, this is a PPF thread, so try to stay on topic, Pinkman.
Appreciate 1
SetAlias227.00
      01-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #27
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
Well that's what I was told at my dealership. Ie, "possibly." Not an absolute statement. But I appreciate the opportunity to clarify. That said, this is a PPF thread, so try to stay on topic, Pinkman.
I'm quoting your awful, irrelevant post from the same thread...
For future reference, dealerships tend to be full of shit so I wouldn't come here quoting anything they tell you.
      01-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #28
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For future reference, dealerships tend to be full of shit so I wouldn't come here quoting anything they tell you.
Ok, I agree with you. I shouldn't have put stock in the GM's insight. However, he is a fam friend, so I did. Plus I'm excited about my first new car and helping ppl so I may have went overboard with my reasoning for full PPF.

For the benefit of ppl coming here for answers, I'd revise my initial reasoning to simply "because my M3 Comp was expensive and you can't buff scratches out of matte or satin paint, which can be permanently damaged if not cared for properly."

Feel free to correct me on that as well lol. Just trying to help.
Appreciate 1
SetAlias227.00
      01-18-2023, 01:24 AM   #29
SetAlias
What doesn't kill you gives you XP
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 XC

Quote:
Dude. Calm down

01-24-2023, 12:36 PM   #30
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

We did full PPF.

I would recommend a sacrificial second layer of PPF over the fender hump behind the rear door on an M3. Here is a link to the thread.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1951371

About 75 miles after our PPF job I noticed signs of rocks starting to hit that hump, and the rear quarter panel PPF piece is one piece all the way up to the A pillar (so would be expensive to replace).

Our detailer simply cut and applied a piece of PPF on the front side of the hump that can easily and cheaply be removed and replaced.

FYI we do not have spacers and have installed the TLG mud flaps.

I would also PPF the bumper under the trunk, which is prone to scratches loading and unloading (ours doesn’t have that).

Our lower piano black rocker panel PPF is also getting well worn in front of the rear tires. But that is a single piece that we can easily have replaced.

Those are the major high impact risk areas that I have seen in about 10K miles of ownership.
      01-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #31
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
We did full PPF.

I would recommend a sacrificial second layer of PPF over the fender hump behind the rear door on an M3. Here is a link to the thread.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1951371

About 75 miles after our PPF job I noticed signs of rocks starting to hit that hump, and the rear quarter panel PPF piece is one piece all the way up to the A pillar (so would be expensive to replace).

Our detailer simply cut and applied a piece of PPF on the front side of the hump that can easily and cheaply be removed and replaced.

FYI we do not have spacers and have installed the TLG mud flaps.

I would also PPF the bumper under the trunk, which is prone to scratches loading and unloading (ours doesn’t have that).

Our lower piano black rocker panel PPF is also getting well worn in front of the rear tires. But that is a single piece that we can easily have replaced.

Those are the major high impact risk areas that I have seen in about 10K miles of ownership.
Good tips. The one in front of the hump sounds like a similar piece that every 911 comes with from the factory. My 991.2 had one there.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #32
Znomorph4theWin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp M xDrive

For my ‘23 M3CX, I chose to do the entire car in Xpel Ultimate Plus. I’m OCD about keeping my cars pristine so it was worth it. Driving is a lot less stressful knowing that every inch is protected.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #33
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znomorph4theWin View Post
For my ‘23 M3CX, I chose to do the entire car in Xpel Ultimate Plus. I’m OCD about keeping my cars pristine so it was worth it. Driving is a lot less stressful knowing that every inch is protected.
Just after a snow storm this past weekend we made a short trip on the highway. As I was passing a snowplow (and getting pelted with salt that was being spread, ice, snow, and slush) I remarked to my passenger that I was so glad we got full PPF.

I can actually drive the car and know that it is protected to a degree.
      01-30-2023, 11:26 PM   #34
kamslm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C

Garage List
2020 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Did STEK on full front end, front lights, CF mirrors, roof, pillars, rockers, partial rear bumper below trunk, removed and extended factory film on rear fenders, then ceramic coated entire car with Finest Reserve. Don't care about the glass as my insurance covers full OEM replacement for stars and cracks and I can live with pits. Starting to second guess myself on not doing full PPF after reading this thread. But already in this $6k.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #35
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamslm View Post
Did STEK on full front end, front lights, CF mirrors, roof, pillars, rockers, partial rear bumper below trunk, removed and extended factory film on rear fenders, then ceramic coated entire car with Finest Reserve. Don't care about the glass as my insurance covers full OEM replacement for stars and cracks and I can live with pits. Starting to second guess myself on not doing full PPF after reading this thread. But already in this $6k.
Yeah, you are probably 2/3 of the way to full PPF. I got a quote for a comprehensive partial PPF and decided to just go all the way.
      01-31-2023, 09:27 AM   #36
dr1ven
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Garage List
Xpel Ultimate Plus 10mil on the whole car. Entire front of car has two layers and high impact areas also have 2 or more layers.
Appreciate 0