home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-02-2023, 02:00 PM   #23
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M-Sport

So the wife and I drove 40 min to the BMW dealership where a Brooklyn Grey M2 sat. Guess the owner was on his way to pick it up so we had to hurry! Lol
I will say, it looks good in person, much better than pics. We sat in it, and I will honestly say the cockpit is sweet and the screens are cool, top notch and everything was very tight!
I started it it and was so underwhelmed, even revving it a little without getting anyone upset , and there is no way I could live with that, sooo disappointing.!
BMW exhaust would be like $3k to make it good probably, so that sucked.
Also the wife said she did like it in person but she said my Mach was so much better looking. loud and mean, and overall Me where the BMW was not Me.
Hard to explain.
She said I’d get it and be bored with the shiny new toy pretty quick and I agree.
So, there you have it, can I control the itch? Lol
      07-02-2023, 02:01 PM   #24
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
The titanium exhaust causes a higher pitched, tinny, pingy sound (think Japanese rice burner ala STI and EVO). The aftermarket full stainless exhaust will be a more of an enhanced version of the stock sound.
I’m guessing density of the material plays a part since titanium is less dense than SS but I’ve heard many S58 engines w/ catback titanium exhaust setups that sound pretty good and not tinny/pingy. Also maybe cheaper titanium exhausts that have smaller wall thickness of pipe has more of a tendency to sound like that? Idk
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #25
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
I’m guessing density of the material plays a part since titanium is less dense than SS but I’ve heard many S58 engines w/ catback titanium exhaust setups that sound pretty good and not tinny/pingy. Also maybe cheaper titanium exhausts that have smaller wall thickness of pipe has more of a tendency to sound like that? Idk

Most titanium I have seen are larger diameter. Don't truly know of any "cheap" titanium (assuming its truly all titanium). I know the Valvetronic titanium has that pingy sound, certainly not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:37 PM   #26
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Most titanium I have seen are larger diameter. Don't truly know of any "cheap" titanium (assuming its truly all titanium). I know the Valvetronic titanium has that pingy sound, certainly not cheap.
Cheap isn’t the right word because titanium isn’t “cheap” by cost standards lol. I meant more about the wall thickness and wondering if that plays a part.

I think most typical SS exhaust applications for wall thickness are around 1.2-1.6mm thick. I would think the thickness used for titanium applications are in that ballpark but since it’s not as dense as steel, maybe increasing the wall thickness may lessen the pingy sound? But then you would start to lose some of the weight savings benefit. Idk, just thinking out loud.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #27
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
Cheap isn’t the right word because titanium isn’t “cheap” by cost standards lol. I meant more about the wall thickness and wondering if that plays a part.

I think most typical SS exhaust applications for wall thickness are around 1.2-1.6mm thick. I would think the thickness used for titanium applications are in that ballpark but since it’s not as dense as steel, maybe increasing the wall thickness may lessen the pingy sound? But then you would start to lose some of the weight savings benefit. Idk, just thinking out loud.

It the difference in density between the two metals.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #28
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsX5 View Post
So the wife and I drove 40 min to the BMW dealership where a Brooklyn Grey M2 sat. Guess the owner was on his way to pick it up so we had to hurry! Lol
I will say, it looks good in person, much better than pics. We sat in it, and I will honestly say the cockpit is sweet and the screens are cool, top notch and everything was very tight!
I started it it and was so underwhelmed, even revving it a little without getting anyone upset , and there is no way I could live with that, sooo disappointing.!
Also the wife said she did like it in person but she said my Mach was so much better looking. loud and mean, and overall Me where the BMW was not Me.
Hard to explain.
She said I’d get it and be bored with the shiny new toy pretty quick and I agree.
Yeah, the car is not for you.

Was the car you saw sold already?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 03:45 PM   #29
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Hard to explain.
The itch is never permanently gone. It just gets temporary relief lol.

Stock sound vs stock sound, not many cars will rival American muscle. That being said Im not sure what mods my buddy did to his MY23 M4C, but when he revs the engine it sounds like a fighter jet. Fn loud af in a good way.
Appreciate 1
AZG871030.00
      07-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #30
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Hard to explain.
Ya stock exhaust can't touch it but simple things like a mid pipe and/or a dp will wake up the M2 considerably if not wanting to go full exhaust.

Looks are subjective honestly but I find it to be an upgraded/refined look over the Mustang platform.

The interior though I cannot emphasize enough is such an upgrade.

But then again maybe it's just not for you. As for the itch, I doubt it'll ever subside completely rather just be subdued from time to time.
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50
      07-02-2023, 05:18 PM   #31
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Hard to explain.
Europeans have much stronger regulations when it comes to exhausts noise and emissions. BMW builds their cars for Europe first, and everyone else second. That means the exhaust is generally toned toward the quieter side to meet said european noise standards. You can just change the downpipe and the engine wakes up immediately. Changing the exhaust system is a bonus - but again, it's not going to compete with an American V8.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
AZG871030.00
aerobod3725.50
      07-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #32
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Europeans have much stronger regulations when it comes to exhausts noise and emissions. BMW builds their cars for Europe first, and everyone else second. That means the exhaust is generally toned toward the quieter side to meet said european noise standards. You can just change the downpipe and the engine wakes up immediately. Changing the exhaust system is a bonus - but again, it's not going to compete with an American V8.
North American models have the noisier toned exhausts compared to the European models because of the missing OPF (Otto Particulate Filter) system which is part of the stricter European emission regulations in force.
Hence also the added 8HP power output on the NA ones (382hp) compared to the OPF'ed European models (374hp) - this is for B58 engine.
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50
      07-05-2023, 01:20 AM   #33
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Hard to explain.
You need to drive it. Much better assessment can be made after seeing and feeling what the car actually does vs a static test you experienced. Do this alone as well.
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50
      07-05-2023, 07:58 AM   #34
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
I know this is a biased place but hoping to also hear from people that came from non-bmw sports car into new M2 as well
My M2 is tons better than my 2020 Scat Pack, 2018 Hellcat, 2018 Scat Pack, Porsche 996 Turbo, and 2006 GTO.

Added: Well, not tons better than the 996 Turbo but better. But the Turbo stickered for $119K (though I bought it used with <10K miles for less than half that) while the M2 came in around $70K new.

I don't even bother to compare it to my 2001 Camaro Z28 or my '96 Mustang GT. 'course, the Z28 and Mustang GT were tens of thousands of dollars less money but still. Both cars sucked.

With all cars and the M2 will be no different is it will receive regular and frequent (at 5K miles) oil/filter services and other services on schedule or even early and this includes a change of coolant every 4 years.

While I think the M2 will be ok out of warranty I'll just have to wait and see. Well, provided I keep it. I think I will but something else might attract my eye. But right now I don't expect that to happen. So I expect I'll own the M2 out of its 4 year/50K mile warranty.
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50
      07-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #35
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I sold my manual Z51 C7 Corvette for the M2. Mostly because I have a 3 year old now. Hoping it drives significantly different than the F87 Comp I test drove a few months ago. Also previously owned a rx7 turbo and an S2000, and a 135i that I liked quite a bit (other than the lack of an LSD)
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50