BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-11-2023, 06:18 PM   #23
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
From what I hear, BimmerCode enables about 80% functionality so I’ll be giving that a try first. Esys is a bit more expensive so not sure if I can justify the price for 20% more compatiblity.

Comfort Plus: softer but more floaty suspension. Coasting enabled: does not disenagage the engine/transmission when stopping. Shifts are smoother, steering is slightly tweaked as well. It’s the Rolls Royce-ish drive mode
Now I'm interested in "floaty suspension".
Let me know how the anti-dazzle coding goes. I haven't really used bimmercode on the G42. It was more useful on F22.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:33 PM   #24
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
From what I hear, BimmerCode enables about 80% functionality so I’ll be giving that a try first. Esys is a bit more expensive so not sure if I can justify the price for 20% more compatiblity.

Comfort Plus: softer but more floaty suspension. Coasting enabled: does not disenagage the engine/transmission when stopping. Shifts are smoother, steering is slightly tweaked as well. It’s the Rolls Royce-ish drive mode
Bouncier suspension if you have lowering springs. I only use it on already smooth highways.

Not sure if there is any trans difference.

I don't use the comfort plus drive mode, instead i've configured Eco Pro Individ to use comfort plus suspension and steering which has been nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #25
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Not sure why everyone is claiming that coasting doesn’t occur in comfort. It certainly does for me in my MY23 230i UK spec.

It’s also listed as available in comfort and eco pro on the BMW UK website. Perhaps if you disable ASS then it disables coasting too? Or it’s a region specific feature.

But either way to OPs point it is not unsafe in this car. It’s designed very intentionally and you have instant control of the car if you go on throttle or brake the drivetrain instantly reconnects.

Another reason why you’re taught not to coast in manual cars is it reduces oil circulation however I believe this is again designed around in the BMWs that feature it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:42 AM   #26
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
I learned to drive manual in the UK and was told to never do this, as you don’t have control of the vehicle.

I assume this is only a feature while in full auto in the G42 (and in comfort)?

I only ever drive using the paddles (or I will when the f*****g car arrives) so I guess not an issue for me.

But it does seem weird that it’s now a thing…
If you’re using this as a daily driver trust me the whole “I’ll only drive with the paddles” thing gets old quickly.

1: the auto box is just that good for everyday driving and more efficient.

2: it’s obviously a very different gear ratio to a manual car and it doesn’t make sense to hold the revs unless you’re driving sporty/dynamic etc. but for 30mph zones or motorways it’s auto all the way tbh.

Finally see my above post regarding why the coasting isn’t an issue. It’s perfectly safe. You have instant power when needed. The coasting feature actually feels amazing on the motorways when cruising and saving fuel
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:53 AM   #27
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2023 218i g42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Not sure why everyone is claiming that coasting doesn’t occur in comfort. It certainly does for me in my MY23 230i UK spec.

It’s also listed as available in comfort and eco pro on the BMW UK website. Perhaps if you disable ASS then it disables coasting too? Or it’s a region specific feature.

But either way to OPs point it is not unsafe in this car. It’s designed very intentionally and you have instant control of the car if you go on throttle or brake the drivetrain instantly reconnects.

Another reason why you’re taught not to coast in manual cars is it reduces oil circulation however I believe this is again designed around in the BMWs that feature it.
The first thing i do everytime i start the car is press the damn ASS button, so coasting still works, the whole point of the post was to know if there's any way to disable it since i don't like it.
It's a nice feature to have in ECO and not in comfort , as of now I always have to hit the brakes ever so slightly to disengage the coasting and get back to engine braking, not exaclty comfortable
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:59 AM   #28
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardocav View Post
The first thing i do everytime i start the car is press the damn ASS button, so coasting still works, the whole point of the post was to know if there's any way to disable it since i don't like it.
It's a nice feature to have in ECO and not in comfort , as of now I always have to hit the brakes ever so slightly to disengage the coasting and get back to engine braking, not exaclty comfortable
So I guess personal preference is a factor here but it didn’t take me long to learn how to drive with it and now I prefer it. I drive much smoother in comfort and If I really want engine braking I just flip the downshift paddle. Maybe it’s just me but I also don’t find the coasting engages all the time. Only on straights when at a consistent speed. If I drive dynamically it goes away.

If you really want to disable it the only thing I can think of (without coding) would be configure your sport individual to be all comfort mode settings. I don’t actually know if that would work but it disables ASS so maybe?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:03 AM   #29
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Quote:
So I guess personal preference is a factor here but it didn’t take me long to learn how to drive with it and now I prefer it. I drive much smoother in comfort and If I really want engine braking I just flip the downshift paddle. Maybe it’s just me but I also don’t find the coasting engages all the time. Only on straights when at a consistent speed. If I drive dynamically it goes away.

If you really want to disable it the only thing I can think of (without coding) would be configure your sport individual to be all comfort mode settings. I don’t actually know if that would work but it disables ASS so maybe?
Yes, any sport mode disables coasting and automatic stop/start.
However, this is not a solution as it will always maintain a high gear to provide maximum performance, so it is not suitable for everyday driving
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #30
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, any sport mode disables coasting and automatic stop/start.
However, this is not a solution as it will always maintain a high gear to provide maximum performance, so it is not suitable for everyday driving
I’m talking about Sport individual. Where you can configure the drivetrain, transmission, steering and suspension to all be in comfort. That shouldn’t maintain a higher gear than it would in comfort mode. I’m just not sure if it disables the coasting as the drivetrain is still comfort. Give it a try?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:11 AM   #31
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I’m talking about Sport individual. Where you can configure the drivetrain, transmission, steering and suspension to all be in comfort. That shouldn’t maintain a higher gear than it would in comfort mode. I’m just not sure if it disables the coasting as the drivetrain is still comfort. Give it a try?
Unfortunately, in my 218i I cannot customize settings such as drivetrain and gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #32
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, in my 218i I cannot customize settings such as drivetrain and gearbox.
Ah I see that’s a very unique difference. So when you press the sport drive mode twice does it not enter “sport individual” I thought sport individual would be available on all trims but maybe not.

Random question weird detail on Italian cars is there are two different automatic gearboxes available. Not sure on the difference here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:27 AM   #33
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see that’s a very unique difference. So when you press the sport drive mode twice does it not enter “sport individual” I thought sport individual would be available on all trims but maybe not.

Random question weird detail on Italian cars is there are two different automatic gearboxes available. Not sure on the difference here?
Maybe i wasn't clear my bad, i do have sport individual, but i can only change steering wheel and suspension stiffness (which seems a bit strange since i don't have adaptive dampers)
That difference should be just the quickness in response of the gearbox, i don't know if that enables other customizations in the individual sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:32 AM   #34
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe i wasn't clear my bad, i do have sport individual, but i can only change steering wheel and suspension stiffness (which seems a bit strange since i don't have adaptive dampers)
That difference should be just the quickness in response of the gearbox, i don't know if that enables other customizations in the individual sport mode.
I think that’s exactly the problem. The sport automatic transmission is what controls the coasting etc.

I think you have two options.
1: Learn to live with it as I have, (and I love it)
2: try and code it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #35
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I think that’s exactly the problem. The sport automatic transmission is what controls the coasting etc.

I think you have two options.
1: Learn to live with it as I have, (and I love it)
2: try and code it out.
Will coding with bimmercode void the warranty? (i read that it's not working anymore on newer bmws but i could give it a try)
i already have a piggyback installed but that shouldn't be a problem.

Another way could be asking my dealership if the can code that feature you mentioned before, since it's just a software base thing
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #36
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Suspension doesn't change without adaptive fitted. Any change in chassis 'feel', is due to change in steering weighting between Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:51 PM   #37
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Will coding with bimmercode void the warranty? (i read that it's not working anymore on newer bmws but i could give it a try)
i already have a piggyback installed but that shouldn't be a problem.

Another way could be asking my dealership if the can code that feature you mentioned before, since it's just a software base thing
I’ve never used bimmercode but from reading here there’s many conflicting opinions on if it would void warranty or not.

Personally I say just learn to drive it this way. You’re gaining fuel economy and it’s really not that bad. How long have you had the car? It took me a month or two to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #38
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Quote:
I’ve never used bimmercode but from reading here there’s many conflicting opinions on if it would void warranty or not.

Personally I say just learn to drive it this way. You’re gaining fuel economy and it’s really not that bad. How long have you had the car? It took me a month or two to get used to it.
I'd be pretty confident in saying it doesn't void warranty unless you butcher something in expert mode then ask a dealer for help.

Settings will revert to default during a software update so it's not permanent.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:32 AM   #39
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Quote:

Yea i'm better off learning to live with it.

I wouldn't be sure about the fuel savings tho, the coasting most of the times activates when you want to slow down (es coming to a stop or traffic) so instead of using the engine to slow down the car it will just consume more fuel to keep the engine running and possibly wear the breaks more to stop the vehicle.

Had the car since late May, really loving this car, except for this feature D:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 03:00 AM   #40
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea i'm better off learning to live with it.

I wouldn't be sure about the fuel savings tho, the coasting most of the times activates when you want to slow down (es coming to a stop or traffic) so instead of using the engine to slow down the car it will just consume more fuel to keep the engine running and possibly wear the breaks more to stop the vehicle.

Had the car since late May, really loving this car, except for this feature D:
This isn’t correct. If you activate the breaks or throttle the drivetrain reconnects so it shouldn’t wear your breaks out anymore than normal. And yes it will save you fuel if you learn to drive with it. Both city but also highway driving. If you drive preemptively in the city and predict that it will coast, for example between two traffic lights. Give it less throttle and acceleration because you know you can cruise more.

With highway it will save you fuel as well when coasting at higherspeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:41 PM   #41
rad_thundercat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Package

I’d love to be able to enable coasting in comfort…
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:25 AM   #42
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Quote:
If you’re using this as a daily driver trust me the whole “I’ll only drive with the paddles” thing gets old quickly.

1: the auto box is just that good for everyday driving and more efficient.

2: it’s obviously a very different gear ratio to a manual car and it doesn’t make sense to hold the revs unless you’re driving sporty/dynamic etc. but for 30mph zones or motorways it’s auto all the way tbh.

Finally see my above post regarding why the coasting isn’t an issue. It’s perfectly safe. You have instant power when needed. The coasting feature actually feels amazing on the motorways when cruising and saving fuel
No sorry, driving with paddles only does not 'get old quickly'.

I'm from the UK where we (mostly) all learn to drive manual. My previous car had paddles, and while nowhere near as powerful or as fun to drive as my M240i, I used the paddles exclusively. For three-and-a-half years.

And I have used the paddles since I picked up the M240i—I even switched out the stock ones for some longer aluminum ones.

I KNOW the auto is more efficient, but (to me) that isn't what driving is about. It's about engagement, and that means deciding how long I want to hold a particular gear for—for the sound, as well as the power band. I don't want to just be wafted around (and no disrespect to those who do!) and if it had been an option, I would have chosen a manual 'box.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      10-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #43
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
No sorry, driving with paddles only does not 'get old quickly'.

I'm from the UK where we (mostly) all learn to drive manual. My previous car had paddles, and while nowhere near as powerful or as fun to drive as my M240i, I used the paddles exclusively. For three-and-a-half years.

And I have used the paddles since I picked up the M240i—I even switched out the stock ones for some longer aluminum ones.

I KNOW the auto is more efficient, but (to me) that isn't what driving is about. It's about engagement, and that means deciding how long I want to hold a particular gear for—for the sound, as well as the power band. I don't want to just be wafted around (and no disrespect to those who do!) and if it had been an option, I would have chosen a manual 'box.
I’m UK as well and always owned manual cars. I do absolutely love the paddles and luckily where I live there’s plenty of twisty country roads where I very much use the paddles.

However when I’m driving in normal traffic conditions, commuting and at low speed, I just don’t find the paddles anywhere near as engaging.

The other thing is the gearing is obviously very different and you have more gears than a manual. So I find it more complicated to find the right revs to shift on (unless you’re driving hard and redlining)

I guess what I’m getting at is at normal speed and commuting, I find it more effort to try and use the paddles compared to just using a regular manual gearbox. Add that to the fact I don’t find them very engaging in those conditions. So I leave it in the very capable auto mode.

Unless I’m on a quiet road and a spirited drive then it’s manual all the way. I suspect most people drive like this. I couldn’t imagine using the paddles all day everyday for every kind of driving but maybe I’ll test it out.

To be clear I very much agree driving is about the engagement, but sometimes in normal conditions it’s just not as easy to get that.
Appreciate 2
Pentland1791.00
      10-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #44
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Agree about the gears, but honestly 7th and 8th are more like fuel saving overdrives.
Appreciate 1