BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-12-2023, 04:45 PM   #23
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Oh well that’s perfect we rarely get minus 7. I was looking all over the Michelin site for info like this but couldn’t find it, can you link please?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #24
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
Haha.... no doubt. I was actually looking at the BMW 19" 898M "Winter complete wheel and tire set" which says it has MSRP of $3400 including TPMS sensors... which actually isn't that bad for an OEM set... but I am skeptical if the price and description is correct or if somehow that's just the wheels and no tires or just two wheels or something.
I did buy a slightly used set (898M + Conti winter tires) last winter and they worked well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PP3121363.50
      10-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #25
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

I'll be selling my stock (black) setup when it arrives. End of Nov/early December if you guys can wait that long.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:45 PM   #26
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by advr6 View Post
I did buy a slightly used set (898M + Conti winter tires) last winter and they worked well.
Excellent! I might end up with those if anybody has them. So the package comes with the Continentals I guess? I couldn’t tell from the websites what tire BMW uses for their winter packages. Are the standard lug bolts just reused for those?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 06:20 PM   #27
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
For me it's about the stopping more than the going, 4wd won't help much there.
It won't prevent the person behind you with summer tyres running in to you when you stop quickly tho

If you're somewhere in the country with milder winter and only drive in the middle of the day, could be fine but I personally wouldn't run on PS4S if it was going to be under 5 degrees and wet. Even if no snow, will you commute on frosty mornings?
yes indeed, also loss of lateral grip when cornering on those tires when it gets cold. Wet pavement that may not be frozen but at those cold temps are very precarious with summer performance tires, l know from experience.

Quote:
Dealer hasn’t mentioned any of this I assumed they would be suitable for both winter and summer.
Not to be snarky but the dealer is assuming a knowledgeable buyer when the buyer specs a tire from the options. Dealer has no idea how you intend to use the car and if you planned an alternative all-season or winter tires like many do. I would not expect a dealer to "coach" me on tire choices.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 11:54 PM   #28
Utheman
Rep
Drives: None (yet)

I will soon be getting a RWD m240i with Pirelli P zero summer tires. Where I live it rarely gets below 4C/40F degrees but it rains a lot - I was thinking about switching tires to all seasons for the winter, but now I am not sure whether it will be necessary. Any thoughts/tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:39 AM   #29
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Quote:
I couldn’t tell from the websites what tire BMW uses for their winter packages.?
From the Canadian catalogue, was the same on the UK website before they took it down

https://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/details...atalogue-.html
      10-13-2023, 09:10 AM   #30
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Not to be snarky but the dealer is assuming a knowledgeable buyer when the buyer specs a tire from the options. Dealer has no idea how you intend to use the car and if you planned an alternative all-season or winter tires like many do. I would not expect a dealer to "coach" me on tire choices.
Actually, my dealer sent a mass email to their customer telling them it's time to switch over to winter tires, but that's more of a sales tactic to sell sets. You should see the drivers out here, I wouldn't doubt the mass of them think the factory performance tires are OK in winter...lol. We get actual winter here, 6 months of snow and ice.
Appreciate 1
danallxt739.50
      10-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #31
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utheman View Post
I will soon be getting a RWD m240i with Pirelli P zero summer tires. Where I live it rarely gets below 4C/40F degrees but it rains a lot - I was thinking about switching tires to all seasons for the winter, but now I am not sure whether it will be necessary. Any thoughts/tips?
One thing you can do is see what it is like first, then be ready to move to all season if you feel uncomfortable. My previous experience, a FrontWD vehicle, summer performance tires, similar climate (Eugene, OR not as much rain as you), i was not at all comfy with lack of traction in wet cool/cold temps, switched to all-season. Keep in mind i grew up driving in Northern Wisconsin winter conditions, so careful driving when inclement conditions is natural for me.
Other things to consider, do you daily commute, a lot of urban driving etc....it's all risk assessment but me, with RWD only i would definitely plan on all season for the wet winter....perhaps with age i am getting more risk adverse?
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #32
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Actually, my dealer sent a mass email to their customer telling them it's time to switch over to winter tires, but that's more of a sales tactic to sell sets. You should see the drivers out here, I wouldn't doubt the mass of them think the factory performance tires are OK in winter...lol. We get actual winter here, 6 months of snow and ice.
Considering where you are at that surprises me. But then i wonder just how many actually opt for summer performance tires, aren't all season pretty much the norm now?, particularly in your neck of the woods(yup i know its a pretty big piece of the "woods"). Big difference between factory summer performance and factory all-season performance tires. Depending upon where you are at, i think some folks may be considering switching from all-season to winter specific tires, hence the dealer email??
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:06 PM   #33
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Considering where you are at that surprises me. But then i wonder just how many actually opt for summer performance tires, aren't all season pretty much the norm now?, particularly in your neck of the woods(yup i know its a pretty big piece of the "woods"). Big difference between factory summer performance and factory all-season performance tires. Depending upon where you are at, i think some folks may be considering switching from all-season to winter specific tires, hence the dealer email??
Winter tires are not legally required in my province, but they are in others. I personally advocate everyone gets a set of winters here, but many run with just all seasons. Again, that email was more or less a way to drum up more sales. On my sales invoice or at least on my quote sheet, I recall it saying that the car is equipped with summer-only tires that are not suitable for winter use, and must be equipped with suitable tires for winter. So I guess it's there in writing, for us at least.

The funny thing with people I talk to here, a lot of people have no idea the difference between a high performance summer tire and a winter tire. I've told people that summer tires have zero traction in winter, but they seem to think it's fine, thinking it's the same as an all-season I guess. I've driven on ice on summer tires, it's sketchy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #34
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Just picked up my M240 with ZTK package and am now in need of winter wheels and tires as the cold will be coming soon in my area. Tire Rack is my usual go-to for buying wheel and tire packages that I can swap myself at home, but both Tire Rack and Discount Tire say they don't have any wheels for my car. What's the secret to getting winter wheels and tires?
I absolutely would not run sunmer tires in cold weather even if you get little snow. Summer tires turn into bricks in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #35
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

How about Tire Rack
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:47 PM   #36
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
How about Tire Rack
He said in his OP no dice on tire rack. To be fair and honestly not to sound rude but honestly this is why we post things in the proper places. There are a couple of posts in WHEEL/TIRE that discuss winter setups. Now even if you didnt care about those and you get your answer the reason for posting in the right place is so the info isnt scattered across the world when the next guy comes looking and hopefully (uses the search function.)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #37
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
He said in his OP no dice on tire rack. To be fair and honestly not to sound rude but honestly this is why we post things in the proper places. There are a couple of posts in WHEEL/TIRE that discuss winter setups. Now even if you didnt care about those and you get your answer the reason for posting in the right place is so the info isnt scattered across the world when the next guy comes looking and hopefully (uses the search function.)
We’re you not sounding rude to me or the OP?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 06:44 PM   #38
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

Quote:
Excellent! I might end up with those if anybody has them. So the package comes with the Continentals I guess? I couldn’t tell from the websites what tire BMW uses for their winter packages. Are the standard lug bolts just reused for those?
Yes you can reuse the standard lug bolts ...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #39
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I absolutely would not run sunmer tires in cold weather even if you get little snow. Summer tires turn into bricks in cold weather.
It's generally not recommended at temps 45F and below, and is considered dangerous when temps are close or below freezing (summer perf tires).

My experience,M240x, summer perf tires, temps roughly mid to high 40s, rain/wet pavement. Well lets just say it's fun when you break the back end loose intentionally, but when you get an unintentional 4 wheel drift in a corner at 60mph on a public road with oncoming traffic, its kinda pucker time.
I've found rain/wet pavement with temp in 40s ya better be real careful with any cornering lateral loads.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:23 PM   #40
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I would not be driving in temps near zero but of course overnight the tyres will cycle through zero or low sub zero temps. Will only drive in the day when it’s warmed up but I was concerned about damage to the tyres from being exposed to the cold. It sounds like that’s not really a concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:15 AM   #41
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
I would not be driving in temps near zero but of course overnight the tyres will cycle through zero or low sub zero temps. Will only drive in the day when it’s warmed up but I was concerned about damage to the tyres from being exposed to the cold. It sounds like that’s not really a concern.
Been -1 here last 2 mornings. No drama whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #42
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

So while I'm certainly not going to recommend that someone does any kind of spirited or aggressive driving on summer performance tires in the cold, you can definitely still get around on them just fine in temperatures under 40. Western North Carolina doesn't have crazy bad winters but we do get temperatures below 40 for a good chunk of time and see snow/slush/rain and I've never had any problems getting around locally. I'm definitely not trying to go up or down hills and I'm not doing anything over 40-45 MPH if there are any turns but the car doesn't turn into a death trap with these tires. And my car is RWD.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #43
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I will be fitting my winter tyres in a few weeks, once temps drop, but the UK weather is still quite mild at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 03:58 PM   #44
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
So while I'm certainly not going to recommend that someone does any kind of spirited or aggressive driving on summer performance tires in the cold, you can definitely still get around on them just fine in temperatures under 40. Western North Carolina doesn't have crazy bad winters but we do get temperatures below 40 for a good chunk of time and see snow/slush/rain and I've never had any problems getting around locally. I'm definitely not trying to go up or down hills and I'm not doing anything over 40-45 MPH if there are any turns but the car doesn't turn into a death trap with these tires. And my car is RWD.
ATL obviously has basically no winter as far as snow, but the temps do drop I used to daily my C7 with pilot super sports year round. Just takes more time for them to get warm and obviously traction is a bit degraded but you can def still drive on them just cant be doing stupid things.
Appreciate 1