F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Oil Filter Housing Replacement DIY Tips
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #23
kgibby
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1209 View Post
So I just did this a couple of days ago and I wanted to share my experience. Personally, the hardest part of this job was dealing with the intake manifold hoses lol. As for the housing bolts, they were surprisingly fairly easy to remove. I removed them all from the top without having to remove the oil filter housing at all in about 10-15min. The trick to getting the bottom 3 bolts is to use a medium 3/8 extension and fit it onto the bolt first then connect your ratchet & loosen away. For the very bottom bolt of the two in between the trans cooler, I just attached a swivel onto the end of the extension to get the extra leverage I needed to break it loose. As Per OP it's great to have the replacement housing in hand to get an idea of where the bolts sit exactly. The two bolts in between the oil cooler also have indents from the heat exchanger that helped me navigate immensely. All in all the job wasn't toooooo crazy, just take your time and be extra mindful of the hoses and bolts, also highly recommend taking care of some of the hoses and flanges while you're already there. I ended up replacing the coolant flange of the engine block as it was beginning to leak as well as a handful of hoses. It's a good piece of mind. Lastly, If you do it all from up top theirs no need to remove the fuel line bracket, center brace, and obv trans cooler. I only removed the transmission splash shield for the sake of getting some light from below to help see the bolts.
Good to know, thanks for adding! I tried from above for awhile and played some games with extensions, a swivel, and a string... lost my mind. The intake manifold hoses are a PITA, took me much longer than I would have guessed. Letting them sit with penetrating fluid helped the most.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 08:27 AM   #24
kgibby
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1k1 View Post
Do you have to prime the oil system after changing the oil filter housing? If so is there a specific method?
Not that I am aware of, ISTA does not mention it either.
Appreciate 0