Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      01-07-2024, 07:55 PM   #24
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
ZF is too sloppy of a transmission to ever be included in the great auto discussion. Great transmission to putt around town though.

Long live the manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #25
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
its all use-case dependent. my G87 is a street car that i autocross occasionally, so maximizing my street car experience is top priority. for me that is stick. for others that will be auto.

not to get off topic but curious why you didn't love the GTX
You are in New England and autocross? Do you do that in Devon or elsewhere? I am so looking forward to take my G87 this year autocrossing and see what it can do!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:50 AM   #26
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
The automatics and DCTs of today are much more advanced and better performing than the autos of 20+ years ago. I love manual transmissions but appreciate good performing autos/DCT/PDK. I only think the above average uptake on the manuals is because you have speculators who think they will be these ultra rare unicorns worth eleventy billion dollars in 10 or 20 years.

It’s good knowing my ZF will be rare. I really like the ability to manually shift when I want and let the auto do its thing in the city or when I need it to. Much less limiting that way IMO.
+1 - the last I checked enthusiasts/those who enjoy driving are not defined by a gearbox!
Appreciate 3
Carefree1770.50
matty_f243.50
apez678.50
      01-08-2024, 02:29 AM   #27
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I am with you and, unfortunately, its not worth the argument. Too many people think you cant have fun or performance without three pedals. We aren't enthusiasts but instead deemed grandmas. Same crap with cf buckets vs sport seats.
Seems to me that when these "conversations" break out that the automatic guys get all pissy and defensive and try to shit on those that want to drive a manual. Why? Nothing to be defensive about, just drive what you prefer. Yeah, the manual guys do it too, I get it. Nothing wrong in either choice, it's called personal preference. I choose the 3-pedal route but would never shit on anyone for choosing an auto. As it should be. You don't need to defend your choice, nor does anyone else.
      01-08-2024, 06:57 AM   #28
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I don’t think the manual is dying but I think BMW did a good job knowing its customers like Chevrolet did with the C8. Manuals are still in demand for the right car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:35 AM   #29
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumachu View Post
You are in New England and autocross? Do you do that in Devon or elsewhere? I am so looking forward to take my G87 this year autocrossing and see what it can do!
Do the Evolution Autocross School that the Boston BMWCCA runs at Devons. (and Google the "Evolution Performance Driving School" to see the course they offer)

It's far better than a regular event. You can do 2 days of courses and you get 3-4X the runs of a normal event. All while being tutored by multi-time national champs. I've been going every year for the last decade!

Just send an email to the club asking about it. It is never on the calendar until the last minute, but they will give you the date in an email. Usually it is in June.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 08:27 AM   #30
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that "more than half" of the M2s sold were equipped with the manual transmission.

My impression shopping for a M2 was almost all were spoken for and almost all spoken for were automatics.

I don't recall having a real desire for either transmission -- though for longevity I prefer a manual transmission -- I wanted an M2 so I would have bought an unspoken for M2 even if it had an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:08 AM   #31
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
Do the Evolution Autocross School that the Boston BMWCCA runs at Devons. (and Google the "Evolution Performance Driving School" to see the course they offer)

It's far better than a regular event. You can do 2 days of courses and you get 3-4X the runs of a normal event. All while being tutored by multi-time national champs. I've been going every year for the last decade!

Just send an email to the club asking about it. It is never on the calendar until the last minute, but they will give you the date in an email. Usually it is in June.
I actually only autocross with the BMWCCA so I do know about the evo driving school event but just can't commit the time for it unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #32
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Seems to me that when these "conversations" break out that the automatic guys get all pissy and defensive and try to shit on those that want to drive a manual. Why? Nothing to be defensive about, just drive what you prefer. Yeah, the manual guys do it too, I get it. Nothing wrong in either choice, it's called personal preference. I choose the 3-pedal route but would never shit on anyone for choosing an auto. As it should be. You don't need to defend your choice, nor does anyone else.
When AT people said, "it's faster 0 to 60", that implied to MT people being slow.
When MT people said "it more engaging", that implied to AT people aren't an engaging driver.

Any opinion can be interpreted in many ways.
Even here we can say we love our cars, then come someone would come in and say how bad it looks.
It's the internet and way of life now, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 09:59 AM   #33
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
i typically go to lime rock. beautiful drive up and well run event that typically ends with open lapping until you decide to stop abusing your brakes and tires.
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #34
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
When AT people said, "it's faster 0 to 60", that implied to MT people being slow.
When MT people said "it more engaging", that implied to AT people aren't an engaging driver.

Any opinion can be interpreted in many ways.
Even here we can say we love our cars, then come someone would come in and say how bad it looks.
It's the internet and way of life now, unfortunately.

Its been brought up in multiple threads and unfortunately its more than that.

I personally dont care what anyone chooses. Everyone went with the trans they did for whatever their reason is (as they shouldhave). Its the crap talking and basically belittling those that went with the 8AT is what I get irked over.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:27 AM   #35
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post

thanks for reminding me to join the CCA, will definitely try to attend this in june
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-08-2024, 01:44 PM   #36
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Most likely plenty of us 'enthusiast's' appear to fall into the ZF8 camp. For our own reasons, no reason to isolate again on a forum that 'enthusiast' is something only a manual driver can claim. The absurdity of the manual crap continues.
Sigh. I've been on these, any MANY other car forums, and this is NOT what people are saying, I wish people would quit trying to self-martyr and play the victim.

And it's the same on the other side, MT drivers aren't victims either, so why spend energy fighting an imaginary fight?

Yes, it's the internet, and if you search enough, you can find trolls and outliers.

But in general, no one is actually making the "real drivers do X" argument. A lot of us have both MT and AT cars. I have an MT, but will I turn down a drive in a PDK Porsche? No sir!

Tribalism is dumb, tribalism is bad.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #37
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
The only cars I will mock getting an auto are lightweight low horsepower sports cars (Miata, exige etc)
You are wrong to do so. My uncle loved MTs but destroyed his knee in an accident. If he was to buy a sports cat in AT, should he be mocked?

People have all kinds of circumstances. Life is messy. Don't judge when you don't know.
Appreciate 1
M2siast6003.50
      01-08-2024, 01:54 PM   #38
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
I’ll be the bad guy and say it… if you didn’t get the M2 in a MT then your car has an AT!
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2024, 02:09 PM   #39
middyM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
I’ll be the bad guy and say it… if you didn’t get the M2 in a MT then your car has an AT!
AT = Awful Taste
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #40
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
You are wrong to do so. My uncle loved MTs but destroyed his knee in an accident. If he was to buy a sports cat in AT, should he be mocked?

People have all kinds of circumstances. Life is messy. Don't judge when you don't know.
Precisely. I’m a Vet and a friend of mine who also served is a car nut but unable to use MT due to a combat injury. Judging buyers on MT vs AT isn’t simply naive, it’s downright stupid. Not an opinion, a fact.
Appreciate 3
apez678.50
akumachu181.00
      01-09-2024, 09:16 AM   #41
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post

Broken down uncles shall not be knocked, Rule 61 paragraph 2.
Injured Vets and Police discussed paragraph 4.2
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:45 AM   #42
Skooba1231
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2

😂
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
Appreciate 2
M2siast6003.50
NewToM367.00
      01-09-2024, 09:58 AM   #43
Bearded-Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (G87) and X3m40i

i find it funny reading this thread it seems like some want to justify their choice to the group for their own validation.. If you need to be validated among others in your choice then you maybe need to rethink some things outside of MT vs AT.. Did yall even test drive the AT vs the MT before buying it?

We are all here for the M2 right? Everyones needs and situations are completely different no on should be mocked for picking AT no one should be mocked for MT..

Its the same in the VW forums with the GTI and the golf R (DSG vs 6MT)... lol GROW up and lets all enjoy these beautiful machines...

my reasons.. for MT I lost weight and knee pain went away and after test driving both the AT and the 6MT i didn't like how the ZF would feel a little confused some times. and i liked the feel and gearing of the 6MT
Appreciate 3
M2siast6003.50
1stM384.50
      01-10-2024, 07:32 AM   #44
DrewNewM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey G87 Manual

I expected the manual take rate for the M2 to be high. We are kind of getting to the end of the manual ICE performance car era and people realize there is no scenario in which an automatic will be more engaging to drive even if it will scoot to 60 more quickly.

The fact that manual has another pedal that isn’t there in an auto car and a shifter with multiple different positions that you have to physically move to with your hand while timing clutch engagement and engine speed certainly proves there’s more to do and for me that engagement is more fun and a requirement even though it’s becoming obsolete.

I wouldn’t ever consider this car in an AT but then again I wouldn’t buy any automatic cars. My STi and Bronco are both manuals too. Get them before they’re gone and all we have are self driving super fast electric people delivery appliances on wheels that make no sounds, no fuel smells, no gears and no souls.
Appreciate 1