E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument cluster goes crazy when car is left outside

05-12-2024, 09:47 PM   #23
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints related to Prior Post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:23 PM   #24
ehart13169
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi, 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Please Identify the Connector the Dealer thought was issue, and the Connector you cleaned & applied dielectric grease to, so we have as much history as possible. There are MORE tests to locate the fault if these do NOT. It it were EASY, anyone could do it.
George
The connector the dealer thought was the issue was X9331, shown in your post from 5/7 (picture attached). I also cleaned X1716 and applied dielectric grease...that one looked like it may have had some corrosion on pins 3 & 4.

I will work on testing those connections tomorrow, thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:40 PM   #25
ehart13169
Rep

I just noticed there is a discrepency in the connectors for the JBE module. The diagrams you sent earlier (attached for reference) show that the left connector, X14271, is blue, and the right connector, X14272, is black. On my car, the connector on the left is black, and the connector on the right is blue.

So, is X14271 the connector on the left, or is it the blue connector? Similar question about X14272. The blue wiring connector is plugged into the blue connector on the JBE, and black is plugged into black. I don't think they're interchangeable anyway, but I could be wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 08:32 AM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehart13169 View Post
I just noticed there is a discrepancy in the connectors for the JBE module... is X14271 the connector on
the left, or is it the blue connector?...
Apparently there was a change ~ 2007 Model, and the K-CAN Bus diagram links to the later layout, while the Location for
the 2006 model is opposite. Here is what I BELIEVE to be correct for your 2006 model:

1) X14271 is BLUE; it is located on RIGHT side as you face it from passenger seat (Vehicle Right).

2) X14272 is Black; it is located on Vehicle LEFT side, or to Left of Blue Connector.

Correct diagram for 2006 model is attached.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 06:47 PM   #27
ehart13169
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
CAREFULLY inspect the specific Pin/Socket at each connector for any damage or corrosion. THEN, with BOTH Connectors DIS-connected (from KOMBI & JBE) test Green wire as follows:
1) Test for Continuity between X11175/7 & X14272/31; should be ~ 0 Ohms resistance (say 0.01 Ohm);
2) Test for Continuity to Chassis Ground at EACH end or socket listed above; Ohms Reading SHOULD be Infinite (open-circuit), or "1" on most meters -- whatever your meter reads with meter probes NOT touching.
3) Jiggle wire when testing to see if resistance Changes (Intermittent fault).
1) Tested for continuity between X11175/7 & X14272/31; reading was 0.00 Ohms
2) Tested for continuity to chassis ground from both connectors; reading was open.
3) Jiggled wiring harness while measuring readings; no change.

I noticed something strange, and realized I overlooked something. I'm not sure if it's related but...
4) While the KOMBI and JBE were disconnected, I noticed the gear indicator was flashing rapidly. I tried uploading a video, but it wouldn't let me...this is the light on the center console showing the current gear. I closed both doors, and it went solid, then after about a minute started flashing again. I reconnected the KOMBI and JBE, and it went back to solid. After about 10 minutes, the indicator light was still on. Is this normal?
5) When I tried to register the battery, it says that it cannot communicate and to make sure the ignition is on. I thought I had registered the other battery two years ago, but I vaguely remember a similar issue. Does this give any clues to our other issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 09:10 PM   #28
ZainAleem
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi, did you ever get the issue fixed?? I'm facing the same issue with my 2008 328xi, but only my instrument cluster goes mad when car sits in the sunlight for few hours every other thing is working fine and has no impact with this instrument cluster going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #29
ehart13169
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainAleem View Post
Hi, did you ever get the issue fixed?? I'm facing the same issue with my 2008 328xi, but only my instrument cluster goes mad when car sits in the sunlight for few hours every other thing is working fine and has no impact with this instrument cluster going crazy.
No, did not get the issue fixed yet. I took a break on looking at it, I had a few other projects that needed to get done.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2024, 11:39 PM   #30
ZainAleem
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

I have a 2008 BMW 328xi and I'm having the same issue, I have checked about everything and couldn't find the cause of this issue. I have noticed one thing that when my car has this instrument cluster restarting issue the lights on the radio are dim but radio works fine.
My battery is good, but I have a doubt on my Power Distributor box but I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Please help me, I'm fed up from listening to this ting ting ting ting every few seconds... the local dealership of my area says they couldn't find any issue in my car...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 08:16 PM   #31
cclarkdrbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328x drive 2011

its like that because someone did a blower resistor power supply harness repair.know issue with this e90 platform is overheating and wire damage to the resistor power supply harness at or close to the resistor due to inadequate ground wire capacity for the current demand of the resistor/blower fan motor. Plus its got no ventilation to help cool the resistor with the trim panel right up almost against it which happens to have padding insulation on it that compounds the overheating issue. eventually it became a recall but the recall repair is different than what was done here. this was obviously performed by a limited experience diy'er or semi apprentice tech or careless tech who only chases hours(a butcher)it should at least had the ground shortened to eliminate resistance which was part of the initial problem.and tidyed and secured in the least
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 08:23 PM   #32
cclarkdrbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328x drive 2011

have your jbe power cable checked. they are notorious for burnt connection at the back there was a recall and repair same as the blower resistor. your crazy cluster is possibly interrupted can/bus communication,or overvoltage,loose connection. im chasing a similar issue.cluster cbs display going crazy,scrolling thru settings on its own,left stalk up and down selector for bc does not respond when this happens which is about 90% of the time the car runs.but blinker switch and steering buttons all work fine. and dsc light is on no communication with dsc.separate issue. when it works.a pothole sends it offline and wipers go crazy.already replaced dsc unit. loose connection still eludes me
Appreciate 0