E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M Is Working On Simulated Gear Shifts For EV's

06-27-2024, 11:42 AM   #23
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I just want nothing to do with these cars. They’re going to save me a lot of money in the years ahead.
Not sure I agree with you on this. Without political change ICE cars will be forced from the dealer show rooms and supply and demand will make ICE cars both new and used more expensive. Add to that that the CAFE standards already add several thousand to the price of a ICE car and that is only going to get worse.
Appreciate 2
NickyC18944.50
Efthreeoh18665.50
      06-28-2024, 07:47 AM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Not sure I agree with you on this. Without political change ICE cars will be forced from the dealer show rooms and supply and demand will make ICE cars both new and used more expensive. Add to that that the CAFE standards already add several thousand to the price of a ICE car and that is only going to get worse.

It's way cheaper to fix the car you have than to replace it.

I agree though, when things go away, they get more expensive. You see it in housing, when they stop busing houses with big lot, the houses with large lots go up in price. When that's not good enough amd they stop building single family homes and instead build townhomes and MDUs, the single family homes go up in price.

Last edited by BlkGS; 06-28-2024 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh18665.50
      06-28-2024, 07:59 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I just want nothing to do with these cars. They’re going to save me a lot of money in the years ahead.
It's an interesting question. Can you elaborate?
Appreciate 1
NickyC18944.50
      06-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #26
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyStephLux View Post
Could you elaborate on how BMW plans to implement and refine these simulated gearboxes and artificial engine noises to ensure they provide an engaging and authentic driving experience for enthusiasts
No idea, but the article I posted in the start of thread states their intent to implement these.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/06/22/b...electric-cars/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 09:41 AM   #27
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

The articles posted in the first and third post are both interviewing the same individual and state opposite view points, while being posted 2 days apart. So either the interviewee is flip-flopping their actual goals or one of the interviewers is not representing what he said correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 09:55 AM   #28
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Is this actually shocking to anyone? Every single Ioniq 5 N track video is chock-full of reviewer, critic, and commenter praise about EV shift points in a 1 speed, down to the overboost noises, burbles, and 'engine' whine.

I always think of it like this: I'd never want to own a car with a CVT. But if every car around me suddenly became a CVT, I'd certainly want some transmission control; therefore, I'd want "fake" shift points in my CVT. While not directly comparable to a EV, it falls right in line, for me. *shrugs*
      06-28-2024, 10:57 AM   #29
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's an interesting question. Can you elaborate?
Sure. Cars for me have always been about enjoyment. I wince when I hear people talk about them only being “tools” to get from A to B. I’ll sit in traffic surrounded by boring white/black/grey SUVs and just wonder how so many people don’t see the joy in automobiles. They will never be a utilitarian tool to me.

When you couple the absolutely nauseating prices of new vehicles with the lack of fun factor in most of them, the thought of purchasing one quite frankly makes me ill. New car prices are outrageous, why would I spend so much for something I have absolutely no desire to own? Gone are the days when I would cruise by dealerships 2-3 times a week to oogle the machinery, dreaming of owning one that was just a bit out of my price range. There are essentially no new vehicles on the market I have the slightest interest in which are affordable. I’d be in the $200k plus range for anything I’d want, and those are not possible with my financial situation. That’s why I’ve been so upset about the current M3/M4 cars. Those are right in my wheelhouse of price/desire, but I just cannot get past the horrid look of both cars. It’s a total deal breaker for me.

So basically, I see myself driving what I currently own for many many years. I love my car to death, and the lack of anything in my price range (say $125kish) which interests me ensures I’m going to be saving a ton of money by not purchasing another vehicle. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18665.50
philth365.50
      06-29-2024, 03:15 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure. Cars for me have always been about enjoyment. I wince when I hear people talk about them only being “tools” to get from A to B. I’ll sit in traffic surrounded by boring white/black/grey SUVs and just wonder how so many people don’t see the joy in automobiles. They will never be a utilitarian tool to me.

When you couple the absolutely nauseating prices of new vehicles with the lack of fun factor in most of them, the thought of purchasing one quite frankly makes me ill. New car prices are outrageous, why would I spend so much for something I have absolutely no desire to own? Gone are the days when I would cruise by dealerships 2-3 times a week to oogle the machinery, dreaming of owning one that was just a bit out of my price range. There are essentially no new vehicles on the market I have the slightest interest in which are affordable. I’d be in the $200k plus range for anything I’d want, and those are not possible with my financial situation. That’s why I’ve been so upset about the current M3/M4 cars. Those are right in my wheelhouse of price/desire, but I just cannot get past the horrid look of both cars. It’s a total deal breaker for me.

So basically, I see myself driving what I currently own for many many years. I love my car to death, and the lack of anything in my price range (say $125kish) which interests me ensures I’m going to be saving a ton of money by not purchasing another vehicle. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the clarification. You and I are on the same page. One could argue BMW's 3-Series has been its A-to-B grocery-getter since its inception, but the 3'er has always been a great-driving grocery getter at least up until the F3X series (I've either owned or had decent seat time in every 3-Series since the E21). It has been a great driver at a reasonable price.

One of the reason my E90 has mega miles on it is because the F30 came out and it totally SUCKED compared to the previous generations. My planned replacement mileage was 250,000 for the E90, but one drive in the F30 made me ill. I had a 335i F30 for a week and put over 800 miles on it on some of the best roads in Virginia. A week later I had a Cadillac ATS (sport package) for a full 800-mile week. Man, Cadillac nailed the dynamics; if it had the V6 with a manual I would have bought one. Big error on GM's part not to include the 3.6/manual transmission variant they had in the CTS. In 2013, I wasn't ready to jump to a big 4-cylinder turbo (*I have now).

So now I'm near retirement age. I can go early thankfully. So, in preparation of that event and with a fleet of 5 cars that average 17 years old and 215,000 miles each, I wanted a new vehicle that would be fresh when I hung up the cleats. I bought a 2022 Ford Bronco (it was a 2-year wait after reserving it). A Black Diamond, 2-door, manual transmission. The Bronco being a manual (and no non-M BMW 3-Series having one) is what got me interested in the Bronco, and being an ORV, it can handle nearly anything. I had a '95 Jeep Wrangler for 14 years, so stepping into a modern Bronco was like getting a luxury car in comparison. The Bronco drives great. It does have good road prowess. It's fuel efficient too (21 MPG is my current lifetime average). And it's fun again to have a vehicle that the roof and doors come off.

But I mostly agree with you, new cars pretty much suck. 4-banger turbos with 10-speed automatic transmissions, computer-aided driving, and an effing camera watching you drive. Screw that.

I have enough cool cars to last me a lifetime, which is shortening up here real quick.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
NickyC18944.50
      06-29-2024, 03:21 PM   #31
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I guess the piped in exhaust sound wasn't fake enough. here's a notion, buy an actual 3 pedal ICE.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18665.50
NickyC18944.50
      06-30-2024, 05:31 AM   #32
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Problem is that oil is not going to last forever...something needs to replace it.
Petrol is only going to get more and more expensive in the decades to come.
The way forward is to make EVs drive like an ICE car...but not by faking it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 06:04 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Problem is that oil is not going to last forever...something needs to replace it.
Petrol is only going to get more and more expensive in the decades to come.
The way forward is to make EVs drive like an ICE car...but not by faking it.
Yes, in about 350 years. And that's if one doesn't believe in Abiotic oil creation.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2024, 01:02 PM   #34
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, in about 350 years. And that's if one doesn't believe in Abiotic oil creation.
That also only currently known and proven reserves. That assumes there is no more oil to be found (which we know to not be true).

That also ignores sources of creating oil type products via algae and other means.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18665.50
      06-30-2024, 01:04 PM   #35
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
How many times are folks going to fall for that peak oil con?

OOPS: NASA Finds Ancient Organic Material, Mysterious Methane on Mars
The new findings – “tough” organic molecules in three-billion-year-old sedimentary rocks near the surface, as well as seasonal variations in the levels of methane in the atmosphere – appear in the June 8 edition of the journal Science.
Organic molecules contain carbon and hydrogen, and also may include oxygen, nitrogen and other elements.
https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/na...thane-on-mars/

Martian Dinosaurs?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 02:44 PM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
How many times are folks going to fall for that peak oil con?

OOPS: NASA Finds Ancient Organic Material, Mysterious Methane on Mars
The new findings – “tough” organic molecules in three-billion-year-old sedimentary rocks near the surface, as well as seasonal variations in the levels of methane in the atmosphere – appear in the June 8 edition of the journal Science.
Organic molecules contain carbon and hydrogen, and also may include oxygen, nitrogen and other elements.
https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/na...thane-on-mars/

Martian Dinosaurs?
That's why Abiotic oil theory is so interesting. In summary the theory is carbon atoms were evenly distributed throughout the universe and for the Earth ended embedded in the crust. Time allows those carbon atoms to combine and generate crude oil.

Of course the theory, which dates back to the 1800's is poo poo'd in Wikipedia because it doesn't fit the climate narrative of only 50 years left of oil reserves.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2024, 08:50 PM   #37
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's why Abiotic oil theory is so interesting. In summary the theory is carbon atoms were evenly distributed throughout the universe and for the Earth ended embedded in the crust. Time allows those carbon atoms to combine and generate crude oil.

Of course the theory, which dates back to the 1800's is poo poo'd in Wikipedia because it doesn't fit the climate narrative of only 50 years left of oil reserves.
Wait. Are there people who think that all hydrocarbons have be be made via decomposition of living matter? We have known that to not be true since like, the 60s or 70s. Titan (one of Saturn's moons) has literal likes of liquid methane and ethane. We've found hydrocarbons in several places that we don't think had any sort of life.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18665.50