E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > how much extra travel on the clutch?

01-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #23
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBMW335
I understand what you are saying but at the same time if you dont get it just right its never going to give you the perfect shift feel. I been racing for years, and the only time i just tap the clutch in on my race car and that is only downshifting because i dont need clutch on the up shift. Interesting enough there alot of people that miss gears and destroy their transmitions because they dont know how to shift. There is allways a right way of doing things and a short cut of doing things. To be honest with you, you dont even need the clutch, just rev match and the gears will go right in without destroying the synchros, now i ask you just because alot of people do that, is it the right way of doing things. just my .02 cent. I hope you dont take this the wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #24
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3
I haven't had the opportunity to really 'drive' the 335i step, but I was under the assumption in manual mode, that it would hold the gear? If the car downshifted, then I'd think you were in too high of a gear. The biggest issue I have heard with the autos was upshifting and not holding a gear.
yea if i was driving in a straight line i would have definatly been in to high a gear, but i had shifted it into third for about 4-5 krpms and floored it and the dam thing shifted back into second. everytime i downshifted it never shifted back up, thats what would annoy most people so its probably programmed not to

but there are PLENTY of times where you need to floor it at lower rpms without downshifting (approaching a curve for instance)
      01-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #25
musc
Free T_e_r_r_Y :)
Rep
Drives: X3MC, Audi TTRS MK3, 335is DCT

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Well you should be downshifting yourself approaching the corner. If its downshiting for you, then are still in too high of a gear. You dont want to exit the corner in one gear too high, or it will feel sooo slow.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #26
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

I never accelerated through the turn in my other cars. I'm having fun throwing the @ss out in this one. A few weeks ago I turned traction off(held in button for 10-15secs) and forgot to turn it back on. Hit the turn and punched it. The @ss slid out perfect. I didn't expect it, but it was pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3
Well you should be downshifting yourself approaching the corner. If its downshiting for you, then are still in too high of a gear. You dont want to exit the corner in one gear too high, or it will feel sooo slow.
trust me i was in the right gear for what i wanted to do
      01-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #28
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I have to press the clutchpedal relatively 'deeper' to engage it compared to my former 330i E90. Is that what you are asking technochild?

Dunno how many inches/cm. Sorry.

Felt a bit weird the first time. Never had that in my BMWs(This is my 5th BMW with manual gearbox)
Appreciate 0