E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Alignment - ATspeed Motorsports

09-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

lol

How can you say that one alignment is better than another? IF IT'S IN SPEC, IT'S IN SPEC. BMW owners are such snobs when it comes to some things. Call me old school, but I've never seen car people like the ones on BMW forums. These are entry-level luxury/performance cars, not F1.

I "corner-balanced" my car with a tape measure to 50.3%/49.7%; more accurate that what people pay $200 at a performance shop for. I took it onto a guy's scales in Boston and everyone was pissed that they paid for it when I told them how I did it.

P.S. I'm a professional Engineer.

Last edited by Pcemkr; 09-22-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #24
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Depends on how you want to set up your suspension. If you want something close to factory spec b/c your lowered, camber plates are not needed.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you want a true race setup or something a lot more aggressive for handling, I guess its possible (although I don't believe many e90/e92 guys have new camber plates).

When you say that rear is 'aggressive', do you mean that its totally slammed and fenders rolled (i.e. height)? Or, are you talking about having excessive negative camber or something related to your current suspension setup?
I have 19x10 Rears with +22 offsets. My fenders are definitely rolled. I would say I am considerably low.

Here are a few pics of my car for reference:
Attached Images

Last edited by 335TWNTURBO; 09-22-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #25
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
lol

How can you say that one alignment is better than another? IF IT'S IN SPEC, IT'S IN SPEC. BMW owners are such snobs when it comes to some things. Call me old school, but I've never seen car people like the ones on BMW forums. These are entry-level luxury/performance cars, not F1.

I "corner-balanced" my car with a tape measure to 50.3%/49.7%; more accurate that what people pay $200 at a performance shop for. I took it onto a guy's scales in Boston and everyone was pissed that they paid for it when I told them how I did it.

P.S. I'm a professional Engineer.

Yup spec is spec, agreed. Question is, what spec do u want? Oem spec? Fine if you are just cruising with the car.

You need to understand that not everyone is ok with standard settings/workmanship.

Many times I've taken one of my other vehicles to a chain shop only to have it leave with more work to be done. Scratched wheels, grease in the interior etc. These are not the

people I want working on my car, all I am saying.

Question, when you are using a tape measure are you just setting left/right side to equal heights?
      09-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TWNTURBO View Post
I have 19x10 Rears with +22 offsets. My fenders are definitely rolled. I would say I am considerably low.

That's fairly low, I've seen plenty lower than that though

You still need to decide what kind of suspension setup you want custom or OEM.

Looks like that pic is from the McD's lot near Russet (I used to live there) and your Elite sticker means you know Chris. He didn't know a place for alignments?

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
That's fairly low, I've seen plenty lower than that though

You still need to decide what kind of suspension setup you want custom or OEM.

Looks like that pic is from the McD's lot near Russet (I used to live there) and your Elite sticker means you know Chris. He didn't know a place for alignments?
He recommended AT Speed.

Damn, you have good eyes. How did you know it was McDonald's of all places? I was coming from Chris's shop after getting my fenders rolled. I want to go lower but the front was rubbing like crazy. I had to raise the front up a bit. I want to go lower in the rear as well but Chris recommended me staying at this ride height.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
feaganszhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP

I am taking classes to become ASE certified in alignments and just taking it to the sub $100 alignment isnt the route you wanna take. There are many little things that have to be accounted for in bmw's and any of the higher performance vehicles. Most places like that won't weigh the car down to get the proper weight bmw says is needed to have the alignment done. Plus by lowering the car you have adjusted what the factory specs. You have to have the specs that are given by the brand suspension you have had installed on your car, all are a little different and then you can set the alignment to the car in addition to those new specs. I am not saying that those places wont get the car aligned and you wont have any problems with toe, camber, or caster but it was done right and when your looking at spending between 100-200 on a proper alignment dont skimp. You spend well over a thousand on a good coilover suspension set up and have probably invested much more into the car. So my advice is take it to a place that specializes in those kinds of cars and has the respect and know how to properly align the vehicle.
      09-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:

The 1st picture ..is that in Bel Air...W. McPhail and 24 ?

Ok..I figured it out..the picture was taken in McDonald's parking lot in Laurel. McDonald is next to the Exxon gas station off of Laurel Fort Meade Road (Rt.198) and Russett Green.

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)

Last edited by 1N54E92; 09-22-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
He recommended AT Speed.

Damn, you have good eyes. How did you know it was McDonald's of all places? I was coming from Chris's shop after getting my fenders rolled. I want to go lower but the front was rubbing like crazy. I had to raise the front up a bit. I want to go lower in the rear as well but Chris recommended me staying at this ride height.
I used to live in Russet and know that area well. Chris is a good guy; he rolled my fenders a few years ago before he got into BMWs. I thought after all these years, he would have gotten alignment equipment by now.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #31
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feaganszhp View Post
I am taking classes to become ASE certified in alignments and just taking it to the sub $100 alignment isnt the route you wanna take. There are many little things that have to be accounted for in bmw's and any of the higher performance vehicles. Most places like that won't weigh the car down to get the proper weight bmw says is needed to have the alignment done. Plus by lowering the car you have adjusted what the factory specs. You have to have the specs that are given by the brand suspension you have had installed on your car, all are a little different and then you can set the alignment to the car in addition to those new specs. I am not saying that those places wont get the car aligned and you wont have any problems with toe, camber, or caster but it was done right and when your looking at spending between 100-200 on a proper alignment dont skimp. You spend well over a thousand on a good coilover suspension set up and have probably invested much more into the car. So my advice is take it to a place that specializes in those kinds of cars and has the respect and know how to properly align the vehicle.
I don't run factory specs though. I have 9.5" and 11" wheels with 225/265 tires and high negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #32
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just came back from Euro Tech in Baltimore and they said that I need to further roll my rear fenders so that the hunter can roll forward and backwards on the wheel. They also said that they have remove the fender liners in the front.

they quoted me a whooping: $370.00 (they have bumped their head)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #33
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

lol wow..

I should have bought a fender roller years ago to charge $10/corner
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
lol wow..

I should have bought a fender roller years ago to charge $10/corner
You should've, and put that Professional Engineering expertise to work!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #35
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

It doesn't take an Engineer to use a fender roller.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #36
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It doesn't take an Engineer to use a fender roller.
Ah, sorry for the assumption! I just thought it does just like with corner balancing.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

It doesn't take an Engineer to corner balance either. Not sure where you're deriving these assumptions from.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #38
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

Ok guys:

I made an appt for an alignment yesterday at At Speed. Unfortunately, they called to reschedule for sometime next week due to having to prep cars for a track event this weekend. I really don't want to drive that long on my new tires. So, I decided to call IAG in Westminster, MD. They specialize in Subaru, Mazda, and Mitsubishi but they can do alignments on most cars. I posted a link to their alignment page and they do align BMW's.

Here is a link to their webpage: http://www.iagperformance.com/alignment.html

That have nice alignment equipment and they promised I wont be dissapointed with their alignment services. With their prices, I may even get my car corner balanced as well for a little more than the $220 that I was quoted from AT Speed.

I will update this thread once I come back from the shop today. I am excited to meet the guys over at the shop as they seem very cool and didn't mind me asking them 30 minutes worth of questions before making my appointment.

We will see how it goes.

Last edited by 335TWNTURBO; 09-28-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #39
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

b
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #40
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i did mine at pep boys but im not lowered im still stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

b
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #42
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Ok guys:

I made an appt for an alignment yesterday at At Speed. Unfortunately, they called to reschedule for sometime next week due to having to prep cars for a track event this weekend. I really don't want to drive that long on my new tires. So, I decided to call IAG in Westminster, MD. They specialize in Subaru, Mazda, and Mitsubishi but they can do alignments on most cars. I posted a link to their alignment page and they do align BMW's.

Here is a link to their webpage: http://www.iagperformance.com/alignment.html

That have nice alignment equipment and they promised I wont be dissapointed with their alignment services. With their prices, I may even get my car corner balanced as well for a little more than the $220 that I was quoted from AT Speed.

I will update this thread once I come back from the shop today. I am excited to meet the guys over at the shop as they seem very cool and didn't mind me asking them 30 minutes worth of questions before making my appointment.

We will see how it goes.
nice, how did it go? I drive by them all the time, looks like a legit place but I have no personal experience with them.
      09-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #43
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
nice, how did it go? I drive by them all the time, looks like a legit place but I have no personal experience with them.
Sorry UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POST
Appreciate 0