E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR Delete

09-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
You wouldn't fail if its coded out. Only the code would fail you but if its tuned out, no code.
Yes, but the OP will have to send away the DDE, right? That's not really "coding" as known to the community. That's a "tune". Way different thing.

I certainly grant you it's possible (TDIwyse seems to have found a trick), but is it doable at reasonable cost and risk.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #24
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

What is this trick you speak of? Any links?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
TDI occasionally posts here, but is more active on the bimmerfest diesel forum. I'm not going to speak for him (and I probably shouldn't have mentioned it).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
finnbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 & 2012 X5 xDrive 35d

This is probably a stupid question, but how about closing the EGR valve? I wish ours would be as easy as this Touareg diesel EGR valve close

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...day-85874.html
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

EVO if anyone has done bigger mods is TDi, he's our GURU on this. PM him
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but how about closing the EGR valve? I wish ours would be as easy as this Touareg diesel EGR valve close

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...day-85874.html
the real question is how to do it without throwing codes. Just the physical cancellation of the EGR isnt much of a chore, its dealing with the codes and tuning that are the bigger deal
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

just been reading this, i'm in the uk I have a 2006 330d e91 and have carried out the dpf and egr delete, regarding the dpf I have fitted an ecotune pipe and remap also an egr bypass, reading about you guys and the us emission laws and your concern about an egr error code, have you thought about installing a blanking washer into the egr to stop the exhaust gasses from passing through the egr, this will allow the egr to fuction as normal (opening) fooling the ecu that the egr is working as normal.
If any of you interested I can put up some shots of my egr bypass.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilly View Post
just been reading this, i'm in the uk I have a 2006 330d e91 and have carried out the dpf and egr delete, regarding the dpf I have fitted an ecotune pipe and remap also an egr bypass, reading about you guys and the us emission laws and your concern about an egr error code, have you thought about installing a blanking washer into the egr to stop the exhaust gasses from passing through the egr, this will allow the egr to fuction as normal (opening) fooling the ecu that the egr is working as normal.
If any of you interested I can put up some shots of my egr bypass.
Thanks, that would be nice. It seems many of us will go this route when the warranty is up given the apparent failure rates and expense of repair for the emissions system.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #31
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
have you thought about installing a blanking washer into the egr to stop the exhaust gasses from passing through the egr, this will allow the egr to fuction as normal (opening) fooling the ecu that the egr is working as normal.
Unfortunately, this will not work.
There is before and after EGR flow temperature sensors. When there is no flow, there will be no difference in temperature. Therefore, there will be a code triggered in the DDE.

One way would be to tune the value of the temperature differential.

Besides the EGR flow, I think another big problem with these cars is crankcase ventilation. So far, no one has a catch can for the 335D...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #32
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_
Quote:
have you thought about installing a blanking washer into the egr to stop the exhaust gasses from passing through the egr, this will allow the egr to fuction as normal (opening) fooling the ecu that the egr is working as normal.
Unfortunately, this will not work.
There is before and after EGR flow temperature sensors. When there is no flow, there will be no difference in temperature. Therefore, there will be a code triggered in the DDE.

One way would be to tune the value of the temperature differential.

Besides the EGR flow, I think another big problem with these cars is crankcase ventilation. So far, no one has a catch can for the 335D...
The catch can is of little concern. The tune/emissions/coding is the only true concern.

In time perhaps, or perhaps it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #33
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
The catch can is of little concern. The tune/emissions/coding is the only true concern.

In time perhaps, or perhaps it's too late.
I installed methanol on my car about 2 months ago and Ive been noticing that on the freeway now (after about 3-4 gallons of 50/50 water/methanol mixture) I am getting considerably better cruising mileage which could mean that my engine is decarbonizing. If I open up the manifold soon like I plan to and take a look inside I can compare it to the before pictures I have. If my suspicions are correct there may be no such thing as too late
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #34
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
I installed methanol on my car about 2 months ago and Ive been noticing that on the freeway now (after about 3-4 gallons of 50/50 water/methanol mixture) I am getting considerably better cruising mileage which could mean that my engine is decarbonizing. If I open up the manifold soon like I plan to and take a look inside I can compare it to the before pictures I have. If my suspicions are correct there may be no such thing as too late
So out of curiosity, what all is involved in installing meth? I've read how it aids in producing greater power levels....but what is the hardware install like? Assume there are nozzles that you have to tap and install? What about software coding? Curious to learn more about it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
So out of curiosity, what all is involved in installing meth? I've read how it aids in producing greater power levels....but what is the hardware install like? Assume there are nozzles that you have to tap and install? What about software coding? Curious to learn more about it. Thanks.
the kit that I am using is based on the JBD. Burger has a kit for the D, its not advertised but if you email them they will let you know. The kit has a pump, nozzle, tube, assorted connectors, solenoid, pump, and controller. With the JBD kit, the controller is wired up to power, ground, and the signal which comes from the JBD. There is no need to connect any of the wires to anything else, no software coding, nothing. This is probably the most simple kit you can get, which also means there arent any control options other than what Burger gives you.

To install, you wire up the power and ground to the controller, signal wire (from JBD) to the controller and the solenoid, and the controller to the pump. I am using my windshield washer bottle for the tank, so I obviously washed it out, ran clean water through it, then cut the washer fluid line near the windshield, installed a T fitting and backflow preventer in the main line, and filter in the line to methanol pump. Tube goes to the pump, and then from the pump to the nozzle which I drilled and tapped into the charge pipe just below the IAT sensor. Honestly its a very easy job to do. Took me about an hour to install it the first time, 20 minutes to take it off when I had to do smog and then MAYBE a half hour to put it back. A more advanced setup like TDIwyse is running required more time and thought, but allows a lot more control.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the kit that I am using is based on the JBD. Burger has a kit for the D, its not advertised but if you email them they will let you know. The kit has a pump, nozzle, tube, assorted connectors, solenoid, pump, and controller. With the JBD kit, the controller is wired up to power, ground, and the signal which comes from the JBD. There is no need to connect any of the wires to anything else, no software coding, nothing. This is probably the most simple kit you can get, which also means there arent any control options other than what Burger gives you.

To install, you wire up the power and ground to the controller, signal wire (from JBD) to the controller and the solenoid, and the controller to the pump. I am using my windshield washer bottle for the tank, so I obviously washed it out, ran clean water through it, then cut the washer fluid line near the windshield, installed a T fitting and backflow preventer in the main line, and filter in the line to methanol pump. Tube goes to the pump, and then from the pump to the nozzle which I drilled and tapped into the charge pipe just below the IAT sensor. Honestly its a very easy job to do. Took me about an hour to install it the first time, 20 minutes to take it off when I had to do smog and then MAYBE a half hour to put it back. A more advanced setup like TDIwyse is running required more time and thought, but allows a lot more control.

What results have you noticed? Obvious power gain? Better MPG? Etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #37
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
What results have you noticed? Obvious power gain? Better MPG? Etc?
obvious power gain mostly. It doesnt spray under normal driving circumstances, so any MPG changes could only be the result of the potential "cleaning" side effects you get from methanol/water. Im planning to open up my manifold soon to check and see if there is in fact any cleaning going on
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna start a new thread about carbon buildup... because I think my car is sufferin from it :/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
Sorry, work has been crazy busy and a lot of personal stuff going on ...

This is a description of what I was doing:

posts 59 on from this thread

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7691987

I worked with Hooper off line, who has a methanol system installed as well (but not the same mods I have), to see if he could duplicate the "mode". Wasn't successful. And I could only make it happen reliably with the OEM intake and not the AEM home made intake I've been experimenting with. So it was apparent that it is not a "universal" mod that others could use.

Have another approach that is more promising that I'm hopeful will work for others. Hooper has agreed to try to experiment with it. Hopefully he'll have similar positive results. Should be more to post about in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #40
brice618
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
It might be worthwhile to spend some time in the UK technical forum, as they have been driving the 335d for longer than us, and have experience with the EGR and its deletion. There are definitely kits available over there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLARD-BMW-3...item2a30809d6a
But will these kits fit the US spec vehicles?
Appreciate 0