E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > New to BMWs and e90post, have questions!

04-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I wouldn't jump the gun and buy a car until I'm 100% in love with it and sure I want it. I would stay clear from an accident car or a lemon one. Try and find one with a good title and low kms. You may pay a bit more but could potentially save you tons if the issues from the accident or it being a lemon come up.

A car is a big invest and make sure you take your time and do your research.
      04-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #24
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Yeah I'm definitely waiting until I find the right one..!! I'm doing a lot of research on the warranty aspect of things and since most of the cars I like are at Independent Dealers and not at BMW's, or Mercedes lots, would it be harder for me to get an extended warranty if the car has over 50k miles..?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
Glopez5
First Lieutenant
Honduras
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

There is an 09 silver msport with 60k miles on craigslist Tampa looks pretty clean for 23999. Idk how clean it is but I do know person has been trying to sell it for at least a month or so. Maybe u can get it for 23k
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #26
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

How does this one look to you more knowledgable individuals?

http://www.iqautos.com/vehicle-detai...-ga-id-6570479
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #27
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Take your time, get the service history, and have it PPIed by a shop that knows these cars.

- We are North of you but would definitely help look at a car if you need assistance.

Last edited by Sean@PSI; 04-29-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
Taker your time, get the service history, and have it PPIed by a shop that knows these cars.

- We are North of you but would definitely help look at a car if you need assistance.
Thanks for the assistance Sean! That last 335i I posted is in Atlanta, and if I chose to purchase the car I'd be driving it back which is en route to your shop. I'm still new to this stuff and learning who's who on this site, but I appreciate how helpful everyone is and how knowledgable you all are as well..

If I chose to get an 07-08 and wanted to do upgrades such as the CCC to CIC, do those type of things devalue these cars? I read that I'd have to get it coded and what not so that if I brought it to a dealership they would now decline me service and such?

Thanks again!

Last edited by BeastMode335i; 04-29-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

I just called Ft Myers BMW and he said since that 07 with 54k miles is out of warranty he could offer me an Extended Warranty through a company called Easy Care, it would be a 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty with a $500 deductible and cost $2800. And since I hadn't purchased the vehicle through them I would have to pay $150 service fee for them to completely inspect the vehicle first... Does that sound legit?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Yes, but you should get a copy of the aftermarket warranty and review it, we work with a couple of those and it normally works fine to service vehicles with aftermarket extended warranties.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #31
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Thanks for the assistance Sean! That last 335i I posted is in Atlanta, and if I chose to purchase the car I'd be driving it back which is en route to your shop. I'm still new to this stuff and learning who's who on this site, but I appreciate how helpful everyone is and how knowledgable you all are as well..

If I chose to get an 07-08 and wanted to do upgrades such as the CCC to CIC, do those type of things devalue these cars? I read that I'd have to get it coded and what not so that if I brought it to a dealership they would now decline me service and such?

Thanks again!
IMHO it would not devalue the car at all. It just needs to be installed and coded correctly so it operates and functions correctly. - Most dealerships would not even know that was completed.

Warranty and BMW dealership treatment depends on so many factors, but your relationship with the dealer does come into play in their decisions. Also with an aftermarket warranty I would always use an experienced independent shop over the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
chrono
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e93

I do like that color combo. I almost had that blue color but it escaped me.

As for the price and it being fair you'd probably would just want to see what that year and mileage is going for on ebay/autotrader and if you land within a couple grand of that then its a probably a fair deal.

If you've got a really specific set of criteria (like navi, 6mt, colors etc) you have to realize you will pay more to get what you want. You'll always find the cheapest cars with retarded color combos or no navi etc (like seriously wtf keeps ordering light tan or gray leather?)

Since its in atlanta, i think you're going to need to coordinate a PPI in at atlanta before you even make the trip up there. No point making the 10 hour or however long ride up there to get disappointed. If the seller isn't open to coordinating with you for a PPI, time to move on.

As for an aftermarket warranty, shop around. Look at the details, deductibles, etc . Right off the bat, a $2800 policy with a 500 dollar deductible sounds high for a 20k car. I just purchased a 09 335i vert and it came with aftermarket warranty through http://www.iwsgroup.com/ and I think they guy said it was around 1800 dollars for their 'mid level' tier, with no deductible and through 3 years/ 100k. But again, the devil is in the details so do yourself a favor and get 3 quotes and pick the best one.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #33
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono View Post

As for the price and it being fair you'd probably would just want to see what that year and mileage is going for on ebay/autotrader and if you land within a couple grand of that then its a probably a fair deal.

If you've got a really specific set of criteria (like navi, 6mt, colors etc) you have to realize you will pay more to get what you want. You'll always find the cheapest cars with retarded color combos or no navi etc (like seriously wtf keeps ordering light tan or gray leather?)

Since its in atlanta, i think you're going to need to coordinate a PPI in at atlanta before you even make the trip up there. No point making the 10 hour or however long ride up there to get disappointed. If the seller isn't open to coordinating with you for a PPI, time to move on.

As for an aftermarket warranty, shop around. Look at the details, deductibles, etc . Right off the bat, a $2800 policy with a 500 dollar deductible sounds high for a 20k car. I just purchased a 09 335i vert and it came with aftermarket warranty through http://www.iwsgroup.com/ and I think they guy said it was around 1800 dollars for their 'mid level' tier, with no deductible and through 3 years/ 100k. But again, the devil is in the details so do yourself a favor and get 3 quotes and pick the best one.
+1 - 100% correct. - Is IS in your best interest to shop around on everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

I had found the one I wanted in Atlanta from an individual seller and flew out there from Ft Myers pretty cheap.

Check out Route66 Warranty, it seemed like a top contender when I was checking out warranties, although I ended up going naked. It's offered through several banks including Penfed. I used Penfed for the financing on that auto purchase too and it was really easy and a low interest rate. Be careful of fly-by-night warranty companies. Getting a low price on a policy does you little good if they close up shop in a year.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/

I'll probably buy an additional 335I in the next year or two. When I do, I'll likely get it under warranty unless the service history shows that it's had a new valve cover gasket, fuel injectors, water pump, thermostat, and a few other things I'm forgetting right now.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #35
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but you should get a copy of the aftermarket warranty and review it, we work with a couple of those and it normally works fine to service vehicles with aftermarket extended warranties.
Is this something I could request before even purchasing one..?? Any reputable company should show me the fine details before expecting me to pay right..??

Quote:
IMHO it would not devalue the car at all. It just needs to be installed and coded correctly so it operates and functions correctly. - Most dealerships would not even know that was completed.

Warranty and BMW dealership treatment depends on so many factors, but your relationship with the dealer does come into play in their decisions. Also with an aftermarket warranty I would always use an experienced independent shop over the BMW dealer.
Yeah I agree on using an experienced indy rather then the dealer because I'm sure they're gonna throw some inflation in there somewhere lol..!

And I'm new to this BMW/Euro stuff, so the coding jargin is all new to me, but I have been into dragging imports for the past decade or so, meaning I'm very familiar with fine tuning ECU's and such (neptune, chrome, apex, etc) and it sounds like Coding is a more in depth version of that stuff.. My Previous car was an 00' Integra Type R fully built on boost and to start my car I had to press the gas/brake in a specific sequence or it wouldn't start haha..! I doubt Coding is that in depth but I do understand the concept and I would totally be all for having it done properly and to manufacturer spec..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono View Post

Wow great info man, thanks! And I totally agree, I see some of those color combo's and I'm just like "nooooo spank you" ::in Ace Ventura voice:: lol..! I've just begun my search on Aftermarket Warranty's and one thing I haven't done is even asked Bank of America "my lender", who they would advise me to seek for this.. Being as they are the ones loaning me the money I assume they would know somebody reputable that they use for their own Auto Loans and such, right..?? And I definitely am in no HUGE rush, but I'd like to do something soon because I got my loan request a few days ago and it's good for 30 days and I'm not sure how it looks on my credit to keep getting loan requests and not using them?

Quote:
+1 - 100% correct. - Is IS in your best interest to shop around on everything.
Agreed..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic404 View Post
I had found the one I wanted in Atlanta from an individual seller and flew out there from Ft Myers pretty cheap.

Check out Route66 Warranty, it seemed like a top contender when I was checking out warranties, although I ended up going naked. It's offered through several banks including Penfed. I used Penfed for the financing on that auto purchase too and it was really easy and a low interest rate. Be careful of fly-by-night warranty companies. Getting a low price on a policy does you little good if they close up shop in a year.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/

I'll probably buy an additional 335I in the next year or two. When I do, I'll likely get it under warranty unless the service history shows that it's had a new valve cover gasket, fuel injectors, water pump, thermostat, and a few other things I'm forgetting right now.

Good luck!
thanks brother, I'm in that same boat.. Living in Fort Myers and found several I like, all being in Atlanta lol..! I'm still waiting for a reply from that gentlemen who owns that dealership with the blue 335, but it is everything I want so hopefully it's not a dud and this guy isn't a re-re haha..!

As for the service report, can I call any BMW and have them fax it to me or something..??

Thanks again guys, you rock..!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #36
chrono
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e93

I was looking for over a year for a new car. First was a porsche cayman, but landed with a 335i vert. (I still want a 2013+ guards red cayman. So badass. Maybe in 2017/8..)

Most I found that were cheaper were NOT near me and I go to the point where I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of either driving 20 hours or spending 500 dollars to fly somewhere, and also trying to arrange a PPI in absentia, so I just paid a little more to get what I want local.

Every warranty company will give you some sort of document that calls out what they cover vs dont cover. Your lender will recommend someone as well. Just get a few quotes and pick the best one.

I'm not sure if prior BMW dealerships would be willing to send you the vehicles service history. Thats one of those things that will probably vary by dealership and they'll probably try to brush you off.

One thing I used to do was add vin numbers to https://www.mycarfax.com/ to see service history for sellers that were not offering a carfax.. They have some sort of 'garage' type thing where you can add any vin number and it will pull in the service/maintenance history (of course only the shit that the dealership transmitted to carfax or however that works), and its pretty high level and you might not get the details you are looking for. Also, since this is free so it only pulls in service history, and not like buying/selling/accident records, only service history.

But that leads to another consideration, ideally the car you buy has a bunch of paper service records that the prior owner kept. The thinking is if the owner was meticulous enough to keep all the records, he probably did a good job of maintaining the car. Now its not a complete deal breaker (although it may be for some...) if there are no service records at all, but if you had 2 cars to pick from you'd always pick the one with the service records. Just something else to ask/think about.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #37
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Those Porsches's are sick too..!

And no i called Braman BMW and they denied sending me any information because I'm not the current owner, blah!

I'll also look into that carfax thing, sounds like a good way to keep track of searches..

Also, I just found this one posted today, anyone care to shed some light on how much I should try to knock off the price because of the trim markings, and hazed headlights..??

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/duo7xynjqk13yrw/wmN5l-kQIT

and the autotrader link

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71747865&Log=0

Thanks..!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #38
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Still on the prowl lol..!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #39
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Thanks for the great feedback guys..!! And yeah I've been lookin into what exactly the differences are in 07's, 08's, 09's, etc.. And it is quite ironic how some 335i's are like $18-$19k and others are $35-$36k lol, I guess I have a lot of learning to do..! From what I've read, the Buyback that was issued is from California and was for a HPFP which was a bit of an issue on something like 100k BMW's in that time frame..!!

And I'm not in a super rush but I'll be sharing my girlfriends 128i with her until I find a vehicle so I'd like to have something within the next 2-3 months, even if it involves me traveling to get it.. The BMW service manager here in Ft. Myers told me to not look at anything out of warranty, because that's when it starts to take a toll on your pockets lol, best advice I've gotten so far I think..!

Anywho, I appreciate the feedback and would love to hear more from everyone and anyone who is knowledgable in this area..!

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about a HPFP lemon. The HPFP was designed badly early on and would die after 15,000 miles of exposure to ethanol gas. I know. I went through 5. After 3 years they had it fixed. My fourth lasted over 100,000 and I just had my fifth done at 175,000. I'm at 200,000 now. It was the weak link in the car.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
kel335i
Instagram: @skrskrt.tv
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i GC  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I wouldn't worry about a HPFP lemon. The HPFP was designed badly early on and would die after 15,000 miles of exposure to ethanol gas. I know. I went through 5. After 3 years they had it fixed. My fourth lasted over 100,000 and I just had my fifth done at 175,000. I'm at 200,000 now. It was the weak link in the car.
200K miles on an 08?!
CF Spoiler
CF Diffuser
CF/Stainless tips
BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep