E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Speeding Ticket Advice Please

05-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #23
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I' leaning towards paying the ticket and moving on, here's why;

I already got a break from reckless to speeding, albeit the officer didn't show me some love and reduce it to 19 over. Dickhead!

If the officer doesn't show, the court system/Judge in VA will still try the case which means the best I can hope for is a point & fine reduction (not bad though).

The flip side of the above is possible too, as there might be a chance that the judge can still charge me with reckless.

I'm not a good public speaker and will probably say the wrong things in court.

Comments?

I think that's a good plan. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take the consequence, especially when one of the alternatives is worse.

If this was Maryland, judges are able to reduce points left and right but Virginia judges have no control over points. The only way for points reduction is a reduced charge, which you have already gotten.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #24
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Not sure when your court date was... I received a ticket in VA (I'm not from there so), paid an attorney to represent me and to have the points and charges withheld from my record. I paid the court cost and attorney's fine, about 300 bucks (but worth it).

If you go to court, show up on early, look presentable, and state that you are requesting a "withhold of adjudication" or that the points be withheld from your record due to the exorbitant cost of car insurance... Your premium will increase by 3-500 $/annually.

If you have a clean record this will help they are more forgiving.

Sometimes you are able to speak with the cop prior and if you ask him the same thing and he agrees then he'll tell the judge. BE FRIENDLY...

God speed!

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
MNick has another good alternative, but this usually works if you have a clean record (and just received a ticket). If you have several tickets in the past 2 years don't try this as the judge may completely hammer you because of your past record.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #26
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3DIRTY5

Right to face accuser does not apply to civil cases. Just calling this out bc I saw someone mention that it's unconstitutional to try you without the officer present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confrontation_Clause

The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him." Generally, the right is to have a face-to-face confrontation with witnesses who are offering testimonial evidence against the accused in the form of cross-examination during a trial. The Fourteenth Amendment makes the right to confrontation applicable to the states and not just the federal government.[1] The right only applies to criminal prosecutions, not civil cases or other proceedings.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #27
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by citg0 View Post
Right to face accuser does not apply to civil cases. Just calling this out bc I saw someone mention that it's unconstitutional to try you without the officer present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confrontation_Clause

The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him." Generally, the right is to have a face-to-face confrontation with witnesses who are offering testimonial evidence against the accused in the form of cross-examination during a trial. The Fourteenth Amendment makes the right to confrontation applicable to the states and not just the federal government.[1] The right only applies to criminal prosecutions, not civil cases or other proceedings.
THAT'S the clause I was looking for!! I wrote a post clarifying that it was unconstitutional, but can't remember for the life of me at the time which amendment it was! Thank you!
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #28
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
what Virginia does to get around this is to give you the option to move the case (if you're pleading not guilty) to when the officer can be available or to wave your right (plead guilty or no contest) and try the case at that moment. Most people do not want to come back and opt to try the case without the officer present.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #29
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
what Virginia does to get around this is to give you the option to move the case (if you're pleading not guilty) to when the officer can be available or to wave your right (plead guilty or no contest) and try the case at that moment. Most people do not want to come back and opt to try the case without the officer present.
"Your Honor, if I were to not able able to make it to court, I face a warrant, arrest and increased fines... However, if prosecution is not able to be present on a court date, it should not be of my making or concern, and the same or similar consequences should be pressed upon them instead of freely granting a second trial date, thus implying for me to relinquish my right to a speedy trial and being unconstitutionally partial to prosecution's favor instead of following the the impartial nature of the law. In addition, asking me to be tried without the accusing party present is in clear violation of my right to due processes, which is also unconstitutional. I therefore motion for dismissal."
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 06-01-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #30
tman
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Garage List
2014 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
MNick has another good alternative, but this usually works if you have a clean record (and just received a ticket). If you have several tickets in the past 2 years don't try this as the judge may completely hammer you because of your past record.
I have a ticket from last July 2013, for doing 43 in 25 Herndon speed trap. I'm sure that is not going to help.

2014 I01 i3 BEV
2011 E91 328i xDRIVE TOURING
| 2010 F83 X3 3.0i xDRIVE | 2006 E90 330i 6MT (Ret)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
tman
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Garage List
2014 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNick View Post
Not sure when your court date was... I received a ticket in VA (I'm not from there so), paid an attorney to represent me and to have the points and charges withheld from my record. I paid the court cost and attorney's fine, about 300 bucks (but worth it).

If you go to court, show up on early, look presentable, and state that you are requesting a "withhold of adjudication" or that the points be withheld from your record due to the exorbitant cost of car insurance... Your premium will increase by 3-500 $/annually.

If you have a clean record this will help they are more forgiving.

Sometimes you are able to speak with the cop prior and if you ask him the same thing and he agrees then he'll tell the judge. BE FRIENDLY...

God speed!
This post has got me thinking. But I don't have a clean record (currently at -2 with a speeding ticket in herndon last year 43/25).

2014 I01 i3 BEV
2011 E91 328i xDRIVE TOURING
| 2010 F83 X3 3.0i xDRIVE | 2006 E90 330i 6MT (Ret)
Appreciate 0