E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to get 300 horsepower out of a 328i!

07-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #45
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post
Did the US never get the 272hp 330i?
No.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #46
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Decade old 335i that you will get for $8k won't put out 300hp as will probably constantly kick into limp mode when pushed hard lol
Exactly.

This thread reminds me why I barely visit E90Post.

- An $8k 335i is gonna instantly turn into a $10k+ 335i.

- 300hp out of an N52? LOL. I wish, but no.

- 325i beating an M3? I'm gonna need proof.
A full bolt on E36 325i can be made to be faster than a stock E36 M3. That's the point that was being made earlier, but does not apply to our cars where the ceiling is much lower for modification and aftermarket support is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #47
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post
Did the US never get the 272hp 330i?
No.
Bummer. I think a few guys in the UK have had their 330is remapped to around 285 crank HP, but that required an exhaust along with the tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #48
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Interesting post OP.
If money is no object, it's the 328's owners car and they can do whatever their heart's desire.

With regards to the 335, each car built is different and therefore not every single 335 is a reliability laden problem plagued financial repair disaster. Now on sites like this, or other similar sites, the majority of the threads/posts you read about are problems, problems, problems, problems, problems,.....blah blah blah.....from the most minor to the very major therefore it makes one think that once they buy a 335 they're going to be bringing it constantly to the shop for repairs year after year, month after month, day after day. That ain't so.

If every 335 was a issue plagued lemon, nobody would’ve bought them and this model would have been discontinued a long time ago due to poor sales. Of course, there a few bad apples from the factory, but they represent only a small percentage of the total models built during that year, whereas, most are problem free. And when there are no problems, there's nothing to talk about so you don’t hear from the majority of non-problem owners talking how good their car ran, or whatever. In addition, not every single 335 owner all over the globe is a member of this site, and other similar sites, so we don't hear from the majority of those folks.

From my experience, most cars end up used because the prior owner had a problem with it and therefore traded it for another used or new car and so when you buy a used car you end up recycling the same problems. So with many used 335s out there, it’s hard to find one which the owner got rid of it for other reasons (i.e. lease return, financial strain, family change, etc.) unrelated to problems or issues with the car. If the original owner loves the car, they would have no other reason to get rid of it.

I have a 2010 E92 335i which I bought brand new. This is my first BMW and still own it. It's been 7 years, 7 months, and 87,200+ miles since the first day I drove it home and I haven't had any major mechanical or electrical problems with it other than fixing or replacing the typical wear and tear things that go with age. I have added some recent mods (see signature) and still haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon because I love this car.

Back to the 328. If not on this world, I'm sure someone in an alternate parallel universe is able to push 300HP at the crank out a 328i.
But, whoever can pull out 300, or close to, on this world, kudos to you and enjoy that ride.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #49
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

jt335i tell me when you are available to fly to Chicago. I will buy the ticket. I want you to spent some time at the shop. Like couple of days. That would be enough. Is not a BMW shop but specializes in German imports. BMW is most freiquent visitor especially those with n54 under the hood. 2007 built in 2006 and 2008 built in 2007 models mostly. Injectors, modules, fuel pumps, coolant pumps, turbos, cam shaft ladges, spun rod bearings, and etc...I have seen all. I own one and I also work on them. If you tell the lead mechanic that you want to buy a 300hp+ car that is problem free he certainly won't tell you to get 2010 BMW 335i. He will say buy the car you don't see come at my shop and that would be probably Lexus 350i lol So I'm glad that your car serves you well and I agree that all the problem, problem, problem threads aren't an accurate representation but neither your own example is. BMW had 4 years to correct initial screw ups before they build yours which you probably baby daily. Anyhow, this is very unrelated with the subject discussed here in this thread.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #50
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Are the heads on a 330i and 328i good? or could a port and polish job really open them up? I know from the mustang world a good head polish does wonders! Also helps gas mileage, and I hear these 330i's have lifter problems so you could maybe fix that problem while you are in there!
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #51
J-S
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post
Charcoal delete is in the same category as NOS sticker on rear bumper. AFE intake for n51/52 is probably +1hp on a good day. Secondary cats delete is around 5hp max - I had them removed and I haven't even noticed slight difference, only a bit more sound. Have you ever held them in your hand? I did and you can look through and even blow air and there's hardly any resistance. IMHO they are not restrictive on our cars, they are probably 200 cell lol

So the only real gains are headers, 3SI and a tune. Let's go to a BPC and check what they can offer as a max hp/tq gains with headers + 3SI + tune = 246rwhp / 214 WTQ
this is realistically what you are looking at. Don't forget this is for n52 only and with a manual 6MT. So with Auto count in another huge loss/drop in hp/tq

P.S. and this is Dynojet lol, so adjust numbers down accordingly for more realistic numbers

Case closed, nothing to look here, go home
I don't know why you keep bashing the OP, he stated exactly that he increased the number to 300 to raise interest in the post and said his numbers after were around maybe 280 at the crank but he also said he could be wrong. You know what? he did get my attention and even tho I don't really care about all these numbers bit more power on my 325 would be fun and the numbers you just posted if it is really the right numbers would still be better then nothing on a street car and I think it was really the intent of the OP to give some ideas of the mods that could be done. Even if the numbers are off at least we know some of the stuff might be worth doing for a bit more fun. And for all of you that say you should have got yourself a 335 well like many people said price if a big thing, over here you can't find decent 335 for under 8k unless they have over 160k miles on so I paid 4700 for my 325 as a second car. If I want max power and speed I have other toys for that, so I am looking at just a nice increase to make the car a bit more fun and all the numbers I have seen in this post would make me happy.
Appreciate 1
feuer4283.50
      07-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #52
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S View Post
I don't know why you keep bashing the OP, he stated exactly that he increased the number to 300 to raise interest in the post and said his numbers after were around maybe 280 at the crank but he also said he could be wrong. You know what? he did get my attention and even tho I don't really care about all these numbers bit more power on my 325 would be fun and the numbers you just posted if it is really the right numbers would still be better then nothing on a street car and I think it was really the intent of the OP to give some ideas of the mods that could be done. Even if the numbers are off at least we know some of the stuff might be worth doing for a bit more fun. And for all of you that say you should have got yourself a 335 well like many people said price if a big thing, over here you can't find decent 335 for under 8k unless they have over 160k miles on so I paid 4700 for my 325 as a second car. If I want max power and speed I have other toys for that, so I am looking at just a nice increase to make the car a bit more fun and all the numbers I have seen in this post would make me happy.
Because it's a waste of time and resources to try and mod for extra HP on a 328i. It's not a performance car and it wasn't meant to be from the factory. These mods barely get you anything. If you want 300 HP, trade it in and get a 335i or something comparable.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #53
J-S
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Because it's a waste of time and resources to try and mod for extra HP on a 328i. It's not a performance car and it wasn't meant to be from the factory. These mods barely get you anything. If you want 300 HP, trade it in and get a 335i or something comparable.
Like I said in my post I am not looking for high HP, and guys really that get a 335 is getting old very fast first like I said price of a decent 335 right now are ridiculous second have you never heard of people preferring NA motors to boosted motor? I see you come with your quick easy answer "then don't try to get more HP out of your NA car" well I don't know much for BMW as I am new to the brand but from what I heard all the 3L NA motors are pretty much the same to start with just some different parts to make the 325 more powerful than the 320, and same for the 328 and 330, so if one is to replace the said parts for the ones from the 330 I would think you get easy increase in power. BUT like I said I am NEW to bimmer's and have LOTS to learn still.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #54
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S View Post
guys really that get a 335 is getting old very fast

I am new to the brand.

Us saying Getting a 335i is getting old yet you're new to the brand...

Ok I guess that makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #55
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

jeddo45 please define performance car. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #56
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

What the hell is wrong with some of you? This is a topic about getting an n52 motor closer to 300hp at crank.

It’s not a thread about whether this should be done, whether it’s better to own a 335 etc.

Make your own thread if you want to shit on the 328/330 camp.

I have both an e92 m3 and an e90 330i and I am very interested in making the engine run as efficiently as possible (therefore more power also,) and don’t care about your 335s.

Move along.
Appreciate 3
feuer4283.50
J-S2.50
Eddien1231866.50
      07-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #57
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Interesting post OP.
If money is no object, it's the 328's owners car and they can do whatever their heart's desire.

With regards to the 335, each car built is different and therefore not every single 335 is a reliability laden problem plagued financial repair disaster. Now on sites like this, or other similar sites, the majority of the threads/posts you read about are problems, problems, problems, problems, problems,.....blah blah blah.....from the most minor to the very major therefore it makes one think that once they buy a 335 they're going to be bringing it constantly to the shop for repairs year after year, month after month, day after day. That ain't so.

If every 335 was a issue plagued lemon, nobody would’ve bought them and this model would have been discontinued a long time ago due to poor sales. Of course, there a few bad apples from the factory, but they represent only a small percentage of the total models built during that year, whereas, most are problem free. And when there are no problems, there's nothing to talk about so you don’t hear from the majority of non-problem owners talking how good their car ran, or whatever. In addition, not every single 335 owner all over the globe is a member of this site, and other similar sites, so we don't hear from the majority of those folks.

From my experience, most cars end up used because the prior owner had a problem with it and therefore traded it for another used or new car and so when you buy a used car you end up recycling the same problems. So with many used 335s out there, it’s hard to find one which the owner got rid of it for other reasons (i.e. lease return, financial strain, family change, etc.) unrelated to problems or issues with the car. If the original owner loves the car, they would have no other reason to get rid of it.

I have a 2010 E92 335i which I bought brand new. This is my first BMW and still own it. It's been 7 years, 7 months, and 87,200+ miles since the first day I drove it home and I haven't had any major mechanical or electrical problems with it other than fixing or replacing the typical wear and tear things that go with age. I have added some recent mods (see signature) and still haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon because I love this car.

Back to the 328. If not on this world, I'm sure someone in an alternate parallel universe is able to push 300HP at the crank out a 328i.
But, whoever can pull out 300, or close to, on this world, kudos to you and enjoy that ride.
yeah knock on wood, the only "major" failure my 335i had was the ABS DSC hydro pump, but this applies to 328's as well, same part. I think it's a great car and very few cars today will get the same kind of underpinnings, I mean my car based at $40,600, yet included 13 spk HK, adaptive xenon, composite fenders, external oil cooler, on and on....

to give an example of what you said, I bought a used Lexus LS. Pull into the dealership for a brake flush and next thing you know they want $5k for work they are recommending. Please. Go to an indie to address everything, and end up paying about $1,100. Someone who maintains by the book at the dealer, would have gotten the same $5k, and when they hear that on a 2006, they dump it....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #58
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I gained about 40whp or so with bolt ons, More on the way soon too.

252whp STD correction, about what 300hp crank up cars like the Mustang V6 and 350z recipe put down
Bruh, think I'm putting down like 4 hundo to the wheels! Step up your game bish!

P.S

Good to have ya back.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2470.50
      07-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #59
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Lol, no you couldn't. You're not wrong on N52s brushing 300crank Hp (I have a BPC dyno sheet of their 3 stage car with nearly 260whp, and one with a hacked manifold and E85? With over 280whp)

But a set of Schrick 264/248 cams on a M54B30 was worth 10whp at peak and 15whp max (near redline) on a full bolt on a car. I know because I compiled the E46 non m dyno thread.
Yes, with E85 and Heath Robinson tuning measures, you can brush 300, but dude, he was talking about $2000 in bolt ons and tunes. That's $700 for a tune leaving $1300 for bolt ons.

The reason the OP is getting beat up here is because he made some blatantly false and bullshit claims, like 20HP from the manifold swap (without the tune, 30 with). You and I both know that's total bullshit. He's modified the OP a couple times already, so who knows what is says now.

Everything else that came out of his mouth was disregarded because he shat his credibility right there.

Yes, a good tuner, working with good parts and some modified internals can do amazing things with these motors, but dude, $2k? You are far to knowledgeable to let that slide. By the time you swap headers and do a decent exhaust, you're WELL past 2k, and you haven't even tuned the car yet.

Hey Dan, good to see you. Where you been?
      07-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #60
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Yes, with E85 and Heath Robinson tuning measures, you can brush 300, but dude, he was talking about $2000 in bolt ons and tunes. That's $700 for a tune leaving $1300 for bolt ons.
That's realistic if the parts are bought used or on sale.

DeBaffling the box - Free
High flow Airfilter - $65-95 (less if used)
3 stage intake manifold - $250-$350
Headers $750 (on sale, less if used)
Tune - $700
Universal muffler and cut out secondaries - $300

There you go - 35-40whp on $2000.

Quote:
The reason the OP is getting beat up here is because he made some blatantly false and bullshit claims, like 20HP from the manifold swap (without the tune, 30 with). You and I both know that's total bullshit. He's modified the OP a couple times already, so who knows what is says now.
I mean, it's not completely false. A manifold swap on a 325i is a huge gain, and as much as 30whp in some areas.

Just saying, it's not as outlandish as everyone is making it out to be.

Quote:
Everything else that came out of his mouth was disregarded because he shat his credibility right there.

Yes, a good tuner, working with good parts and some modified internals can do amazing things with these motors, but dude, $2k? You are far to knowledgeable to let that slide. By the time you swap headers and do a decent exhaust, you're WELL past 2k, and you haven't even tuned the car yet.

Hey Dan, good to see you. Where you been?
I didn't mean to quote you honestly, but I'm just judging him on his intentions (which weren't to troll) so maybe that's why I'm not as phased.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #61
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's realistic if the parts are bought used or on sale.

DeBaffling the box - Free
High flow Airfilter - $65-95 (less if used)
3 stage intake manifold - $250-$350
Headers $750 (on sale, less if used)
Tune - $700
Universal muffler and cut out secondaries - $300

There you go - 35-40whp on $2000.
That's still not 300 HP from a stock 328, and 20HP from the manifold without a tune? With a tune it's worth something, maybe 30 with a good tune, but it's not 20 without any tuning support, the DISA valves don't do anything without the tune but block airflow. Honestly, I do find much of what his original, pre-edited, post claimed was pretty outlandish.
      07-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #62
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

I'd also like to see all this on something other than a Dynojet. My built RS made 410 on the conservative track tune on a Mustang and was nearly 490 on the Dynojet. I know which one I believed.
      07-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #63
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I'd also like to see all this on something other than a Dynojet. My built RS made 410 on the conservative track tune on a Mustang and was nearly 490 on the Dynojet. I know which one I believed.
I have 2 dynojets (at least) in town, and they read consistent across the board.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #64
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have 2 dynojets (at least) in town, and they read consistent across the board.
Dynojets are notoriously optimistic. This is well established in the motorsports community (I speak here of the sanctioned racing community, not the tuner crowd). The Mustang chassis dyno uses an Inertia load as well as an eddycurrent brake load to simulate the "actual" load (combined aerodynamic plus rolling frictional load) that the vehicle would experience when on an actual road. It is a far more reliable way to evaluate a car's real world performance. This is why we always dynod the GT3 Cup Cars on the Mustang, not a Dynojet (Not to mention it can (like the DJ) measure the air/fuel ratio WHILE testing, which is critical when evaluating results across multiple days of testing).

Real world tests have been done pitting real world quarter mile runs vs the Mustang pulls by reputable publications and they came it at less that 0.1 sec variance.

It's iniertial design vs eddycurrent brake design. Different philosophies.

I would expect dynojets to measure up against each other fairly consistently, in fact, I'd be shocked if they didn't.

But we're digressing here
      07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #65
J-S
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Us saying Getting a 335i is getting old yet you're new to the brand...

Ok I guess that makes sense...
I guess you just answered yourself, if I am new to the brand and new here and I am already tired of reading "you should have gotten a 335" it mean it's been said way to many times already
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #66
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
Bruh, think I'm putting down like 4 hundo to the wheels! Step up your game bish!

P.S

Good to have ya back.
Thank man!
Appreciate 0