bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

View Poll Results: What oil cooler protection did you go with?
Mishimoto Skid Plate 43 25.90%
Turner Motorsport Skid Plate 5 3.01%
ZunSport Oil Cooler Grille 46 27.71%
Unlisted Brand 6 3.61%
DIY Protection 10 6.02%
Can't feel anything with protection, I'm raw doggin' it! 56 33.73%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

01-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #45
Legit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 (6spd Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Here's the breakdown with the current tally of 69 votes.
  • 72% (50 members) have some type of oil cooler protection
  • Mishimoto and ZunSport are the most popular options, making up 62% of the total votes at the time of this writing.
  • Of those that opted to get Mishimoto or ZunSport it's nearly a 50/50 split with ZunSport ever so slightly edging out a few percentage points.
Didn't expect so many would end up getting something to protect their oil coolers. I would have guessed around ~30%. Too bad there weren't any group buys.
You are on a forum of enthusiasts. I guarantee the real number of M2 owners who have an oil cooler plate is something like 10% max. Not to mention this only takes into account members who see this post and feel the need to click it and vote. Plenty of lurkers on this forum
Appreciate 5
M2siast5997.50
DrewNewM2422.50
Vinknee94.50
Hypori142.00
      01-23-2024, 03:33 PM   #46
TT0997
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: EU G87 M2

For those who have done it (especially the Zunsport) :
1) did you installed it before break in service
2) if yes dis you remove it for service ?
3) does this cause an issue removing it and installing it back (self tapping screws) ?

Thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:39 PM   #47
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT0997 View Post
3) does this cause an issue removing it and installing it back (self tapping screws) ?

Thanks !!
I had it installed during my break in service, so there shouldn't be any reason to remove it during service.

I couldn't get the 'self tapping' screws to tap and I was so close to bringing it in I just said 'fuck it' and got them to do it for me lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #48
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I was told long ago by the shop foreman whom I was good friends with at my dealership that they don't even remove the drain plug when performing oil changes. They just use a suction tube to remove the old oil before refilling. This helps avoid cross threading the oil pan, forgetting to install the drain plug etc. Basically, a quick and dirty way for them to make sure they are not liable for any improper oil changes.

Can't say that's done at every dealership, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was SOP. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:27 PM   #49
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

Thanks !!
None of the solutions listed here affect the oil cover. The shields only cover the cooler, which sits very forward, the drain plug is free and clear as it sits more to the centre of the car. They are able to remove the plug and change the oil as normal.

If your concern is with warranty, I wouldn’t be too concerned. Because it’s just a cover, and the shields just replace the plastic one. I’d say you don’t need to worry about it. Otherwise you’re removing it every time you bring it in for service, which is not ideal for you.

I can’t comment on the self-tapping question as I don’t have that cover. But if it tapped into the plastic of the original shield, removing it will make it loose in my estimation…
Appreciate 1
TT099790.50
      01-24-2024, 01:55 PM   #50
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

I installed the Zunsport underside and front grills before break-in service and there was no issue with the service.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:02 PM   #51
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I was told long ago by the shop foreman whom I was good friends with at my dealership that they don't even remove the drain plug when performing oil changes. They just use a suction tube to remove the old oil before refilling. This helps avoid cross threading the oil pan, forgetting to install the drain plug etc. Basically, a quick and dirty way for them to make sure they are not liable for any improper oil changes.

Can't say that's done at every dealership, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was SOP. YMMV
How do they get access to the oil pan as the M2 has no dipstick tube goint to it?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:13 PM   #52
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangelov View Post
How do they get access to the oil pan as the M2 has no dipstick tube goint to it?
If I were to guess I'd say they remove the oil filter and go through its housing or the oil filing hole up top, but I don't know for certain. Just relaying what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:43 PM   #53
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
F87s are vulnerable too right? I’m suddenly somewhat spooked. Maybe I should get one of these options before a planned road trip across the US…!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:06 PM   #54
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

Quote:

Thanks !!
I just installed the Zunsport oil-cooler grill this past weekend, so it is fresh in my mind. If a service required removing the plastic under panel, it should be possible without undoing the self-tapping screws at the rear of the grill. But yes I agree that is a weak point in the design. To be honest, a more robust solution would be to attach the grill to the plastic cover using pre-drilled holes and a lock-nut fastener (would need to remove the panel).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 07:07 AM   #55
TT0997
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: EU G87 M2

Thanks to all of you for your answers!

The last explanation I can give to my questions is that I will receive my car in 2 months, and I asked my contact at sales département to investigate if the workshop could install this grill before delivery.

He says : normally yes, but they have to have a look at the car before doing it, and he also said “my pessimistic side will tell you that I don’t know if they will or not add a note to the history of the car”.

So I plan to install it by my self, but was wondering at the above, because they will see the cover during break in service.

I think I will take my chance and let the grill during the service, cause I don’t want to wait 2000km to have the grill installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 07:33 AM   #56
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit View Post
You are on a forum of enthusiasts. I guarantee the real number of M2 owners who have an oil cooler plate is something like 10% max. Not to mention this only takes into account members who see this post and feel the need to click it and vote. Plenty of lurkers on this forum
I've read the thread and have not voted. I'm not unsympathetic to the person whose car suffered some damage but I'm not bolting on some guard or whatever.

(In one pic I saw the damage looked more like someone drove over a parking space curb and caught the oil cooler on a metal rod that often is sticking up through holes in the curb. The rods are used to hold the stone in place.)
Appreciate 1
akumachu181.00
      01-25-2024, 09:46 AM   #57
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:

The last explanation I can give to my questions is that I will receive my car in 2 months, and I asked my contact at sales département to investigate if the workshop could install this grill before delivery.

He says : normally yes, but they have to have a look at the car before doing it, and he also said “my pessimistic side will tell you that I don’t know if they will or not add a note to the history of the car”.

So I plan to install it by my self, but was wondering at the above, because they will see the cover during break in service.

I think I will take my chance and let the grill during the service, cause I don’t want to wait 2000km to have the grill installed.
Don't worry about what a sales advisor says, they're pretty much clueless. The protective grilles/screens don't affect anything on the vehicle. What possible note would they write down, "the car has a protective grille on the oil cooler"?
Appreciate 2
M2siast5997.50
TT099790.50
      01-25-2024, 10:37 AM   #58
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:

Note about what? Chances about what? It's non drivetrain mod. It's not going to do anything to your vehicle warranty.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
TT099790.50
      01-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #59
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I've read the thread and have not voted. I'm not unsympathetic to the person whose car suffered some damage but I'm not bolting on some guard or whatever.

(In one pic I saw the damage looked more like someone drove over a parking space curb and caught the oil cooler on a metal rod that often is sticking up through holes in the curb. The rods are used to hold the stone in place.)
I'm with you, at the moment.

We're already into the 2nd year of the G87.

If this was a statistically significant problem, the 2024 would have come with a shield.

When I look at the undercarriage of the car it doesn't strike me as a place they're taking risks to cut costs.

Also, why are more people rushing to install a grill under the car than to protect the one on the face of the car?

I get the concern, and it's a low investment and labor install, so don't think I'm judging anyone who installs this. I seriously considered it myself. I'm just trying to be rational about it. (famous last words)
Appreciate 1
akumachu181.00
      01-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #60
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Also, why are more people rushing to install a grill under the car than to protect the one on the face of the car?

I get the concern, and it's a low investment and labor install, so don't think I'm judging anyone who installs this. I seriously considered it myself. I'm just trying to be rational about it. (famous last words)
Not all of us live in California, the land of perfect roads, year round sunshine, and 50% income tax.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:08 PM   #61
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

If this was a statistically significant problem, the 2024 would have come with a shield.

When I look at the undercarriage of the car it doesn't strike me as a place they're taking risks to cut costs.

I'm in an interesting position:

I agree with you this is a widespread issue, and wouldn't worry too much.

But I installed the Mishimoto!

I gave my reason why in that other thread, and to me it's the unknown, with crap on the road (not rocks) that might ruin your day if you hit it. I mentioned I had to replace several underpanels that are made of plastic. The Mishimoto is cheaper than the OE plastic in general, so to me it's a good investment. Any of the crap that broke my previous plastic panels underneath would potentially puncture my oil cooler too. So having that protection is good for me.
Think snow/ice ruts in the middle of the road, tire chunks (metal shrapnel essentially) you can't see because they just appear out of the car in front of you, etc.

It'll be easier for me to not have to replace a plastic part and keep the oil cooler protected. And I get to move it to my next G87 if I get another one. Every single BMW I had had broken underpanels. No exception.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:26 AM   #62
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

The rock/debris hitting the car's coolers below or in front are not 'rational'. So the 'rational' thing to do is to protect them and avoid long delays and cost in the shop that have been more than confirmed to happen and more frequently than reported on this minor sample.

We have nice roads to drive here in Germany overall. My dealer has more than a few cars each year that suffer this. He agree's fully with a 'rational' protection plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:21 AM   #63
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

Please keep thinking its rare or 'rational' lol

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2077651
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:34 AM   #64
M2BOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
We need myth busters to test these small rocks scenarios.
My estimate is that small rocks do not bounce up and damage the cooler. Only bigger chunks.
Especially when the cooler is hit in 2 spots, I can’t fathom the small rock bouncing so fast and hitting the cooler many times. It’s bigger chunks/concrete blocks/plastic bumper pieces/shredded tires…
Imagine a small rock coming off the back of a truck in a freeway, a rock being kicked back by a wheel can have a pretty high velocity and inertia. It’s not the rocks sitting in the road that’s the problem, it’s the falling and kicked up debris from cars ahead of you that have enough velocity to to serious damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:52 AM   #65
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2BOT View Post
Imagine a small rock coming off the back of a truck in a freeway, a rock being kicked back by a wheel can have a pretty high velocity and inertia. It’s not the rocks sitting in the road that’s the problem, it’s the falling and kicked up debris from cars ahead of you that have enough velocity to to serious damage.
Precisely why it’s impossible for those to hit the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:57 AM   #66
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

I have an M240i with the ZTK package which has the oil cooler in the same spot. I made a protector that was much less expensive than commercial protectors.

I was not worried about curbs so much as I was with the random rock, pebble, roadkill or whatever.

I bought a piece of black abs plastic from Amazon, drilled a lot of holes in it and zip tied and screwed it in place without disturbing any factory bits.

If I ever track the car, I can easily remove it. Temps have never exceeded 229 degrees so far but I haven't really driven it on a hot summer day yet (only 1400 miles on the car). Not sure about the M2 but for normal street use the cooler is probably not necessary so adding some type of protector that blocks heat transfer may not be an issue.

I have maybe $50 in it total. Just some added peace of mind not having the think about that cooler getting damaged ..........
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DSTR1286.00
izzyM2749.50