home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #45
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

There is no way in hell I'd put any PPF on a frozen style paint if you're thinking you're doing it for protection & possible removal later. I had PPF on my F87 MG M2. Prior owner put it halfway up the hood & about 1/4 the way on the roof. The line looked worse than any stone chip ever would. I removed the PPF & it left a residue on the paint that was a BITCH to take off. And when I was all done, I then had to do paint correction to remove smudges & light remaining residue. All I can see happening with PPF on a frozen paint job is ruined paint since you cannot polish it & you may risk damage by using solvents to try & dissolve any residue. And yes I used a heat gun, and yes I used the method the pros do - but I think there is always risk of some amount of residue being left behind, I had patches where it came off completely (YAY!) and patches where it left a lot of residue (BOO!)

I see the frozen colors back on the BMW M2 build/customize site. I want that grey so bad... but I love polishing my cars. What else would I do on a sunny weekend if I couldn't polish my car before a drive? LOL ///Madness...
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:48 PM   #46
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
There is no way in hell I'd put any PPF on a frozen style paint if you're thinking you're doing it for protection & possible removal later. I had PPF on my F87 MG M2. Prior owner put it halfway up the hood & about 1/4 the way on the roof. The line looked worse than any stone chip ever would. I removed the PPF & it left a residue on the paint that was a BITCH to take off. And when I was all done, I then had to do paint correction to remove smudges & light remaining residue. All I can see happening with PPF on a frozen paint job is ruined paint since you cannot polish it & you may risk damage by using solvents to try & dissolve any residue. And yes I used a heat gun, and yes I used the method the pros do - but I think there is always risk of some amount of residue being left behind, I had patches where it came off completely (YAY!) and patches where it left a lot of residue (BOO!)

I see the frozen colors back on the BMW M2 build/customize site. I want that grey so bad... but I love polishing my cars. What else would I do on a sunny weekend if I couldn't polish my car before a drive? LOL ///Madness...
I discussed this with my ppf installer and he assured me there is no issues with ppf on frozen paints. Considering I've trusted him with nearly $400k worth of vehicles, I'll take his word for it.
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2024, 07:47 PM   #47
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I've been assured it is not EXACTLY the same look with a film over it but that it's 90-95%

Have been paying attention to my current car's chips -- noticed more than I would have guessed but I'm not sure I'd spend 2k to fix it -- so does it make sense to spend that or more to prevent it?
Appreciate 1
Geighty71613.00
      02-12-2024, 08:15 PM   #48
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I've been assured it is not EXACTLY the same look with a film over it but that it's 90-95%

Have been paying attention to my current car's chips — noticed more than I would have guessed but I'm not sure I'd spend 2k to fix it — so does it make sense to spend that or more to prevent it?
I would not listen to that comment above. If you get PPF done with a reputable brand (STEK, XPEL, etc) and done by someone who knows what they are doing, you will be fine. If I were you, I’d cover the whole car and not just impact zones. The guy above talking about not PPF’ing a specialty paint is delusional.

That miscolor happens when you don’t do the whole car and keep it in the sunlight 24/7. Residue means it is a cheap off market brand.

95% of owners have PPF- have you heard of this ever happening with name brand products?
Appreciate 3
Ronin76872.00
rk95381.00
      02-12-2024, 08:16 PM   #49
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I discussed this with my ppf installer and he assured me there is no issues with ppf on frozen paints. Considering I've trusted him with nearly $400k worth of vehicles, I'll take his word for it.
Yep, I’d listen to him, not that comment above. PPF is a must, especially specialty colors like frozen paints.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 08:18 PM   #50
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I can give you 10 solid reasons this happened, and 10 more why you’re ill informed on this subject matter. Please do not spread misinformation on PPF, especially on specialty colors. You have no clue what you are talking about, as they make PPF products especially for frozen (matte) color paints.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 08:27 PM   #51
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Yep, I’d listen to him, not that comment above. PPF is a must, especially specialty colors like frozen paints.
When you are spending good money on a car and paying extra money on a matte finish I do not see why you would not want to protect it with PPF. What it is the alternative...rock chips and scratches that will be easily seen on a matte finished car? No going back once that happens...it's done.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71613.00
      02-12-2024, 08:56 PM   #52
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would not listen to that comment above. If you get PPF done with a reputable brand (STEK, XPEL, etc) and done by someone who knows what they are doing, you will be fine. If I were you, I’d cover the whole car and not just impact zones. The guy above talking about not PPF’ing a specialty paint is delusional.

That miscolor happens when you don’t do the whole car and keep it in the sunlight 24/7. Residue means it is a cheap off market brand.

95% of owners have PPF- have you heard of this ever happening with name brand products?
I mean listen to it or don't.. but the take I posted is from owners who have put both leading brands over frozen paint (grey specifically) AND installers of the aforementioned films.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:08 PM   #53
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean listen to it or don't.. but the take I posted is from owners who have put both leading brands over frozen paint (grey specifically) AND installers of the aforementioned films.
Hey man, your car your call. I promise you in 3 years if you still own the car, you’ll have wished you had PPF’d it. I’d bet good money on that. Unless you don’t drive it of course.

Take it for what it’s worth, you won’t ever be able to completely retouch or reproduce that paint from the factory.
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2024, 09:36 PM   #54
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

The disconnect seems clear to me now.

I posted above, but maybe wasn't clear enough...

I don't retouch the paint on my car now. In fact I just looked to notice the chips.. this is year 5.

If I could pay the cost of a front only film today, to undo the damage, I would not.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:25 AM   #55
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:

If the prior PPF was installed correctly over 100% of each panel (which it clearly wasn't), there would be 0 (ZERO) issues in the long run / down the line. When rookies "try" to do a clean install put don't tuck the edges & corners of a panel correctly, it begin to lift. Also, anyone who tries to install PPF half way up the hood & a quarter back on roof is obviously someone who knew nothing about proper PPF techniques from the start. Or they tried to cut corners. Sounds like the previous owner was trying to live a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget. There's a reason why PPF is installed on valuable $100-300k cars, because it protects the paint a lot more the a ceramic coating ever could & ever will. WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED BY A SEASONED PROFESSIONAL PPF will not cause any of the issues you listed. Not a single one.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Geighty71613.00
      02-13-2024, 09:10 AM   #56
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

I dunno the more I look into PPF the more it looks like the 'case on iphones' argument. "Gotta put a case on your new iphone or it'll get all scratched up" even though the thing was designed to not use a case. I decided to go without on my latest one and a few years later it still looks pretty brand new

Kind of the same for my cars historically, there's a couple chips after years of driving but it's really not that bad. Maybe if I lived up north where they salt/dirt the roads in winter it would pay bigger dividends to dump thousands on PPF. The couple of notable chips I've gotten were big enough impacts that a PPF wouldn't have stopped it anyway (last one was middle hood of my M340i a few months after delivery and it dented the metal along with a chip lol, thanks dump truck)

Also frozen paint is tougher then the classic glossy metallics, I don't know exactly how much but worth considering as well. Seems like another common misconception about them, people assume they're more delicate then actual owners chime in with stories about how they've avoided scratches/marring from things they 100% thought were going to.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:46 AM   #57
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
I dunno the more I look into PPF the more it looks like the 'case on iphones' argument. "Gotta put a case on your new iphone or it'll get all scratched up" even though the thing was designed to not use a case. I decided to go without on my latest one and a few years later it still looks pretty brand new

Kind of the same for my cars historically, there's a couple chips after years of driving but it's really not that bad. Maybe if I lived up north where they salt/dirt the roads in winter it would pay bigger dividends to dump thousands on PPF. The couple of notable chips I've gotten were big enough impacts that a PPF wouldn't have stopped it anyway (last one was middle hood of my M340i a few months after delivery and it dented the metal along with a chip lol, thanks dump truck)

Also frozen paint is tougher then the classic glossy metallics, I don't know exactly how much but worth considering as well. Seems like another common misconception about them, people assume they're more delicate then actual owners chime in with stories about how they've avoided scratches/marring from things they 100% thought were going to.
A more verbose version of my take.

I don't use cases on my phone, I expect that it will get scuffed up.. that's why I replace it. Cars, I replace less often but the same logic applies.

As stoked as I am for my M2, it's a mass-produced vehicle... that relatively speaking aren't in any sort of short supply.

Furthermore, as I've said here before... I am not convinced that it makes sense to spend 7-10k to protect a paint job on this car. The full respray cost just isn't that much more money.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:45 AM   #58
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A more verbose version of my take.

I don't use cases on my phone, I expect that it will get scuffed up.. that's why I replace it. Cars, I replace less often but the same logic applies.

As stoked as I am for my M2, it's a mass-produced vehicle... that relatively speaking aren't in any sort of short supply.

Furthermore, as I've said here before... I am not convinced that it makes sense to spend 7-10k to protect a paint job on this car. The full respray cost just isn't that much more money.
Well it looks like you have your mind made up then. From the comments above, it sounds like you won’t be keeping this car long term. I am not sure it will hold the same resell value that a carbon roof frozen grey would, but at the same time you won’t get carbon roof fade without the PPF.

If you are not concerned about the road weathering and the extra 7k is not worth it, then by all means send it and enjoy. I have a friend who did the same in his G87 no matter how much I pleaded for him to cave in for PPF. I can tell you our cars look completely different already from the road. But he doesn’t care much.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:23 AM   #59
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well it looks like you have your mind made up then. From the comments above, it sounds like you won’t be keeping this car long term. I am not sure it will hold the same resell value that a carbon roof frozen grey would, but at the same time you won’t get carbon roof fade without the PPF.

If you are not concerned about the road weathering and the extra 7k is not worth it, then by all means send it and enjoy. I have a friend who did the same in his G87 no matter how much I pleaded for him to cave in for PPF. I can tell you our cars look completely different already from the road. But he doesn’t care much.
I think the operative word in your post there is "completely" -- not saying it isn't true but that is shocking. Will you post a photo of the two cars side by side? Both the same age/miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #60
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the operative word in your post there is "completely" — not saying it isn't true but that is shocking. Will you post a photo of the two cars side by side? Both the same age/miles?
Sure thing. The one closer is mine (full STEK PPF) the further is his. There is a significant shine difference. I do not have the up close noses so you can see the difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 12:04 PM   #61
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Who's paying $7-10k for ppf? I have basically half the car covered and it was $2,400. Full car would've cost me $4500 with Xpel Ultimate. I can tell you that in my area it's pretty much a necessity if you want to keep a vehicle looking decent, and you just spent $70k+ on the vehicle. I have it on 3 current vehicles & had it on 2 previous vehicles. Both dealers commented on how they gave me more for the trade because of the excellent condition of the vehicles. It basically paid for itself.

My wife picked up a '22 X3MC last Fall with only 15k mi on it. From
5 ft away, sure it looks pristine. Up close you can see the impacts and tiny chips. Most people won't notice, but I do. Just like most won't notice the paint swirls from the dealer sending through their auto wash & using cheap towels to dry it off. I have to do a full paint correction. My M2 went straight from the dealer to Xpel (20 miles). All my other new vehicles will as well.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71613.00
      02-13-2024, 12:40 PM   #62
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Don’t forget that PPF has a lifespan of roughly 5 years and will look very beat up as it continues to take rock hits. If you do PPF, you need to do the entire car and continue to replace it as it ages.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71613.00
      02-13-2024, 12:52 PM   #63
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who's paying $7-10k for ppf? I have basically half the car covered and it was $2,400.
Everyone who gets it done in Austin Texas, apparently. I got 5 quotes, all within $200 of each other.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:51 PM   #64
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Don’t forget that PPF has a lifespan of roughly 5 years and will look very beat up as it continues to take rock hits. If you do PPF, you need to do the entire car and continue to replace it as it ages.
have heard some horror stories about hood PPF destroying the clearcoat/paint when coming off due to all the heat cycles put on it from the engine. I'm definitely wary about that with frozen finish, would prefer a couple chips over that nightmare
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:06 PM   #65
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who's paying $7-10k for ppf? I have basically half the car covered and it was $2,400. Full car would've cost me $4500 with Xpel Ultimate. I can tell you that in my area it's pretty much a necessity if you want to keep a vehicle looking decent, and you just spent $70k+ on the vehicle. I have it on 3 current vehicles & had it on 2 previous vehicles. Both dealers commented on how they gave me more for the trade because of the excellent condition of the vehicles. It basically paid for itself.

My wife picked up a '22 X3MC last Fall with only 15k mi on it. From
5 ft away, sure it looks pristine. Up close you can see the impacts and tiny chips. Most people won't notice, but I do. Just like most won't notice the paint swirls from the dealer sending through their auto wash & using cheap towels to dry it off. I have to do a full paint correction. My M2 went straight from the dealer to Xpel (20 miles). All my other new vehicles will as well.
Yep. I’m paying 5k for full PPF Steak DynoMatte.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:12 PM   #66
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

I'm not quite 100% decided yet (and I don't have the car yet).

But I'm heavily leaning towards NOT getting PPF. (I don't use a phone case either, FWIW.)

I'm getting alpine white. Not a frozen color, and not a metallic. Of all the colors, it's possibly LESS important.

I see the value of getting it...just like I see the value of putting a case on a phone, case on a laptop, etc. But I just don't think it's worth it for me personally.

My current car is Alpine White, had it since new, and has almost 95k miles on it in 8.5 years.

Looking at the front of the car, I'm glad I didn't spend the money up front, regardless of whether it would've been $4k - $8k.

This doesn't PROVE anything at all either way...there are plenty of cases where PPF made a huge impact (no pun intended). But I just see a bit LESS value.
Appreciate 0