F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone have experience of a Porsche Taycan?
ARMA SPEED

01-07-2024, 10:58 AM   #45
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Once again thanks for the real world insights. I always think it is better to hear about experiences from people who have lived with a car, rather than testers' reviews. I have discovered that one of my colleagues at work has a Taycan and he has offered to take me out on a drive so that should be informative.

I really am in two minds regarding depreciation. On the one hand they have come down a lot. On the other ... there is a long way to go! Anticipating spending £60k, I am conscious that compared to a lot of people on here I am not in a position to be comfortable with £24k depreciation over 2 years. It may be that I am just shopping out of my league. I will think about it more and do man maths.

A final thought: it is a shame to see discussion descend into personal abuse / criticism. I hadn't realised before just how vitriolic the whole EV issue has become. At the end of the day it is just a car. No wonder there is so much conflict in the world when it comes to things that are far more fundamental.
Appreciate 3
boba-fett1887.50
KRS_SN13729.00
rokut399.50
      01-07-2024, 11:18 AM   #46
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
So you’re saying 220 and I’m saying 218 - actual owners with real life use. Why let the facts get in the way of a good story, just accept that you’re getting 150 miles range and move on I suppose!

I’m away to worry about the day that I want to travel 250 miles in one go, how I’ll ever cope and consider where I went wrong in life…
I guess maybe that is the conundrum with the Taycan. It's built and marketed a fast family sports car (whatever that actually is), but I think for that sort of car, a real world range of 220 ish is a bit short. I can think of a lot of trips where we'd do that in a day, 100-120 miles each way, wouldn't normally stop either way, and nowhere (easy / convenient) to charge at destination. Certainly not every week, but enough that if it was the main family car, it would be a pain. Which to be honest, if I was spending that much on a 4 seater Porsche that went and looked that good, I'd want it to be
Appreciate 2
crAbb1249.00
JNW13122.00
      01-07-2024, 11:33 AM   #47
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
So how do I put someone on my ignore list? Sounds a good plan.

Just to bring some actual fact into the arena, my Taycan GTS has never shown me less than 220 miles per charge and it’s driven reasonably enthusiastically.
So you’re saying 220 and I’m saying 218 - actual owners with real life use. Why let the facts get in the way of a good story, just accept that you’re getting 150 miles range and move on I suppose!

I’m away to worry about the day that I want to travel 250 miles in one go, how I’ll ever cope and consider where I went wrong in life…
Out of interest what sort of journeys do these ranges reflect? The impression I get is it's when you're doing motorway runs cruising at 75mph or more that the range of an EV starts to drop away quite significantly - do your Taycan's do around 220 miles when used that way?

Part of the reason I ask is over on Pistonheads a bloke was looking for a car that could do 200 miles of motorway driving without needing a recharge and his view was realistically you need something with an official WLTP range of over 300 miles in order to achieve that. If true a Taycan might struggle unless it has the performance battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:15 PM   #48
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

My car has the performance battery. Also has nearly 600 bhp so it’s not driven like Miss Daisy.

If I ever need to do 250 miles non stop in a day then I will need to consider my options but don’t think stopping somewhere for a coffee and a quick 20 min charge would ruin my life totally.
Appreciate 1
rokut399.50
      01-07-2024, 12:16 PM   #49
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Out of interest what sort of journeys do these ranges reflect? The impression I get is it's when you're doing motorway runs cruising at 75mph or more that the range of an EV starts to drop away quite significantly - do your Taycan's do around 220 miles when used that way?

Part of the reason I ask is over on Pistonheads a bloke was looking for a car that could do 200 miles of motorway driving without needing a recharge and his view was realistically you need something with an official WLTP range of over 300 miles in order to achieve that. If true a Taycan might struggle unless it has the performance battery?
There is an interactive calculator on the Porsche website. You enter the type of driving you do, it gives you an expected range. For what I use my car for, it's around 180 miles. Totally unsatisfactory. I don't like EVs for many reasons, this is but one. I'm a motorcycle guy first and foremost. The engine is 80% of the enjoyment. That's my view. Don't like it? Tough.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:37 PM   #50
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
Once again thanks for the real world insights. I always think it is better to hear about experiences from people who have lived with a car, rather than testers' reviews. I have discovered that one of my colleagues at work has a Taycan and he has offered to take me out on a drive so that should be informative.

I really am in two minds regarding depreciation. On the one hand they have come down a lot. On the other ... there is a long way to go! Anticipating spending £60k, I am conscious that compared to a lot of people on here I am not in a position to be comfortable with £24k depreciation over 2 years. It may be that I am just shopping out of my league. I will think about it more and do man maths.

A final thought: it is a shame to see discussion descend into personal abuse / criticism. I hadn't realised before just how vitriolic the whole EV issue has become. At the end of the day it is just a car. No wonder there is so much conflict in the world when it comes to things that are far more fundamental.
If it makes you feel better, I wouldn't be comfortable with £24k depreciation over that period either. I don't think any of us on here a pleading poverty, and there are definitely a few on here in a more fortunate position than others (and nothing wrong with that), but £1k a month 'gone' is still a fair bit.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17607.00
      01-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #51
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
My car has the performance battery. Also has nearly 600 bhp so it’s not driven like Miss Daisy.

If I ever need to do 250 miles non stop in a day then I will need to consider my options but don’t think stopping somewhere for a coffee and a quick 20 min charge would ruin my life totally.
Ah ok, so yours will have the longer range then. I don't doubt you use the (impressive!) performance available but, as you're in Northern Ireland, do you do much in the way of long motorway runs? That's where EV range seems to suffer and for those who do a lot of that sort of work I can see an ICE car might still be a better tool for the job; however, if you seldom if ever do that sort of driving it's obviously not an issue!

Personally I think if you can charge at home the range on a lot of EV's is more than satisfactory for the needs of most drivers and given my current mileage profile I'll certainly give one some thought when the time comes to change; however, without an unexpected windfall a Taycan will sadly be out of budget!
Appreciate 1
oldnail26.50
      01-07-2024, 01:15 PM   #52
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post

Here's what I'm thinking. Once the capital expenses relief for business buyers is gone(it should never have been there imo and chinese ev's flood the market ) premium ev values may stabilise or rebound..just a hunch.
Appreciate 1
Nibbles863.50
      01-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #53
Samuaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Well I am going to jibe in here without the financial fluff which everyone is badgering on about.
Brother has a turbo S taycan, and friend has a cross turismo 4s

The friend’s experience wasn’t too great as his was an early model and his climate control went twice. So has spent quite a bit of time on the garage under warranty for repairs.
It is a known problem and can’t remember which year they updated it where it was less problematic as the replacement unit was newer.
Brother’s turbo has been going strong so far, but the one thing I hate when driving it is the brake feel being super soft- where nothing seems to happen until mid way down the pedal then it bites hard. Think it might be to do with the battery regeneration. But regardless- don’t like the feel of it as that’s probably the one thing I can’t get used to.

Can’t say I love the head room in the rear in either, being 6ft I would not like to sit in the back of either for longer than a few minutes.
Nice place to be upfront of course, leather everything and more screens than wheels which if you are OCD with fingers prints on screens, you are going to have a field day as even the dash screen is a touch screen

Range wise in the turbo, have witnessed the car meeting the stated range in during a long run in the summer (probably the most boring drive of my life at 60-65), but I don’t think I can live with 250miles considering a trip to and back to wife’s family place is 240 miles and range anxiety would have my butt cheeks clenched for much of that drive.

I personally think it is a good car, and definitely entertains the kids especially with the additional passenger screen which makes them feel like an actual co pilot of a jet and the fake engine noise of a space ship.
Damn fast, which is expected of a sports EV. And does handle surprisingly well when pushed, I say surprisingly but it is a Porsche after all and almost expected but when it is a such a heavy car with the batteries- that’s where the surprise comes from .

Of course also comfortable too with the active suspension so it is a real cruiser too, just of course with the range you can’t cruise forever and will need to do the EV charging station thing at motorway chargers where everyone spends the whole time chatting to strangers about how efficient their car is or isn’t.
I do think it looks a little dorky though as it doesn’t look like a normal “Porsche”, but have also seen an amazing looking on in HK when it was kitted out with something aftermarket- looked amazing (shame I didn’t take a photo)

Last edited by Samuaw; 01-07-2024 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00
      01-08-2024, 01:09 AM   #54
davyk31
Major General
Rep

The rear headroom issue can be sorted by buying the Sports Turismo model. I’m 6 feet and headroom is plenty comfortable in the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:09 AM   #55
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Whilst I don't own one, I have a close friend that does.

4 of us went to F1 at Spa in 2022 and took the Taycan (which is a base model, with smaller battery). We charged once on the way to be sure we'd get there, but the indicated range was showing around the same as doing it in one hit. Most of the journey was motorway.

The charger was some daft supercharger and it was literally 10 minutes before we were back on the road with more than enough to get us there and back to the same point for the return journey. The car had plenty of space for all 4 and weekend luggage.

All my perceived EV issues were dispelled on this trip.

/Edit for clarity it was about 45 miles to the ferry here and about 175 to the destination in Belgium, so 220(ish) total driven

Last edited by Stainy; 01-08-2024 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 4
JustChris17607.00
isleaiw18852.00
rokut399.50
      01-08-2024, 03:47 AM   #56
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
Whilst I don't own one, I have a close friend that does.

4 of us went to F1 at Spa in 2022 and took the Taycan (which is a base model, with smaller battery). We charged once on the way to be sure we'd get there, but the indicated range was showing around the same as doing it in one hit. Most of the journey was motorway.

The charger was some daft supercharger and it was literally 10 minutes before we were back on the road with more than enough to get us there and back to the same point for the return journey. The car had plenty of space for all 4 and weekend luggage.

All my perceived EV issues were dispelled on this trip.

/Edit for clarity it was about 45 miles to the ferry here and about 175 to the destination in Belgium, so 220(ish) total driven
Yes, if an EV is driven gently, you can squeeze out some additional range. Not all of us like to drive gently
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:02 PM   #57
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Did he say it was driven gently? He just said it was mostly motorway with 4 passengers which apparently is the type of driving where 150 miles can be expected
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:40 PM   #58
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Did he say it was driven gently? He just said it was mostly motorway with 4 passengers which apparently is the type of driving where 150 miles can be expected
No, about 180 according to Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:07 PM   #59
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
Yes, if an EV is driven gently, you can squeeze out some additional range. Not all of us like to drive gently
Nice try. It wasn't ragged, but it was a steady 80-85 mph. Real world experience. Car full of 6ft (plus) blokes and weekend luggage. The OP was after some real experience rather than pub talk
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:29 PM   #60
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Nice try. It wasn't ragged, but it was a steady 80-85 mph. Real world experience. Car full of 6ft (plus) blokes and weekend luggage. The OP was after some real experience rather than pub talk
That's my point. They are not my numbers. They come from the Porsche website.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:30 PM   #61
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
or trolling
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 02:16 AM   #62
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
or trolling
'Troll' a word used by those that have lost the arguement, but have to have the last word'
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:48 AM   #63
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
'Troll' a word used by those that have lost the arguement, but have to have the last word'
There is a certain irony to that post, if you think about it

No car suits all needs of all people at all times. And it is all about finding the one that meets your needs and use, with minimum compromises that matter to you. We've established the Taycan doesnt work for you. That doesnt mean its bad or doesnt work for others. I think that is about the conclusion we can reach.
Appreciate 4
D69GMB474.50
1 AKY459.00
rokut399.50
      01-09-2024, 03:52 AM   #64
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
There is a certain irony to that post, if you think about it

No car suits all needs of all people at all times. And it is all about finding the one that meets your needs and use, with minimum compromises that matter to you. We've established the Taycan doesnt work for you. That doesnt mean its bad or doesnt work for others. I think that is about the conclusion we can reach.
QED
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 05:11 AM   #65
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
No car suits all needs of all people at all times. And it is all about finding the one that meets your needs and use, with minimum compromises that matter to you. We've established the Taycan doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean its bad or doesn't work for others. I think that is about the conclusion we can reach.
You've absolutely nailed it there, that's why threads like this get so tiresome...and serve absolutely no purpose in helping the OP with his question.

I fly to Spain though rather than worry about the range in the car, so what do I know!
Appreciate 2
D69GMB474.50
DaveA1886.50
      01-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #66
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
You've absolutely nailed it there, that's why threads like this get so tiresome...and serve absolutely no purpose in helping the OP with his question.

I fly to Spain though rather than worry about the range in the car, so what do I know!
Of course, it's ETTO. It would be bloody boring if we all like the same thing.
We drive to Spain, because we're there for ten weeks and take our dogs
Appreciate 0