E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

09-11-2024, 08:51 AM   #8361
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
One page and one poster showing us 100% why these things happen......stupid citizens.
Sedan_Clan26655.00
Kaizer84108.50
      09-11-2024, 09:28 AM   #8362
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
It appears that you have not seen the same video as I've seen...he had his window down before he got pulled over; he rolled it up before the LEO arrived at the car. I don't hear anyone identifying him before he was on the ground.

Here is a link to the video starting from when he first rolls by the LEOs parked on the street.

You are making up what happened in the encounter to fit the narrative you are pushing...

Wow...I don't even...
I already explained where Tyreek was in the wrong. If you missed the cop mumbling that's Tyreek Hill, turn your volume up.

The FACT remains that the cops went overboard by a wide margin based on what happened and what Tyreek did or did not do. If you disagree with that, wowzas you have some issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 09:29 AM   #8363
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Case law allows law enforcement to remove driver’s and/or passengers from a vehicle during a traffic stop. Hill’s behavior led to being removed. He wasn’t slammed to the ground. You’re purposely using exaggerated language to describe the incident.

YOU are not in a position to determine who an officer deems a threat or not. You weren’t on scene. If somebody arrives at my traffic stop and they are friends/family of my suspect, those individuals are ALWAYS deemed to be potential threats. I don’t know their intentions and their disruption is 100% an officer safety issue.

Floyd? Stop it! That’s not even worth addressing.

Again, the behavior of the suspect has a direct correlation with the response of the officer. This isn’t about race. It’s about BEHAVIOR!
I feel bad for you. Ignore list time!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 09:34 AM   #8364
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
This incident happened in our area on Sunday, when a gang of 30-40 dirt bike and ATV riders were terrorizing the streets of a small village. Two bikes collided, leaving a rider down in the road with serious injuries. The bikers chose to remain at the scene and harass the state troopers trying to render aid, kicking a patrol car and even stealing a trooper's hat.

Some of the bikers subsequently fled over a 2.5 mile long toll bridge into a neighboring county, and the hat thief apparently traveled from Connecticut to be part of this circus.

Kudos to the NY State Police for rendering emergency care to the idiot rider under those hostile conditions.....

https://midhudsonnews.com/2024/09/11...stetson-video/

jamesinaz1803.00
      09-11-2024, 09:37 AM   #8365
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
This incident happened in our area on Sunday, when a gang of 30-40 dirt bike and ATV riders were terrorizing the streets of a small village. Two bikes collided, leaving a rider down in the road with serious injuries. The bikers chose to remain at the scene and harass the state troopers trying to render aid, kicking a patrol car and even stealing a trooper's hat.

Some of the bikers subsequently fled over a 2.5 mile long toll bridge into a neighboring county, and the hat thief apparently traveled from Connecticut to be part of this circus.

Kudos to the NY State Police for rendering emergency care to the idiot rider under those hostile conditions.....

https://midhudsonnews.com/2024/09/11...stetson-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gapfabsewdU

That’s crazy! We are dealing with mini-bike/pocket bike gangs here. They terrorize citizens within the area.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 09:46 AM   #8366
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Wow, no.

Let me break this down for you. (If you have not watched the body cam footage, get on it)

Yes, Tyreek should have already had his window down and not rolled it back up. Yes, Tyreek should not have started with a complaint on banging on his window.

One of the officers even mumbled "That's Tyreek Hill" before the ego maniac cop dragged him out of the car.

However, there is no valid argument for saying the police did not overreact and overstep here. There was no reason to drag him out of the car. No reason to slam him to the ground & jam a knee in his back. Zero reason to come from behind & choke slam him & grab his neck as if you want to strangle him.

If that's not enough for you, Lord help you if it isn't, look at how Calais Campbell & Jonnu Smith were treated. They clearly posed no threat.

I'm guessing you are white base on your response. How can you sit there and say that? Black & Brown people in this country have, sadly, been dealing with this for a long time. Do you know who George Floyd is/was?

What if this was not Tyreek and just a regular citizen? Thankfully, this ended peacefully.

We still have a HUGE problem with racism in this nation and a huge problem with racist power & ego tripping cops on top of that. None of this is ok.

Imagine thinking that type of treatment and behavior by the officers is ok. Wow, God help you.

Furthermore, the other officers there had a duty to DE-ESCALATE the ego trip the extra bad apple was on.They failed to do so.

LE has training in DE-ESCALATION yet this is what they do.

Go spew your racism to the countless black citizens that have dealt with this first hand. I bet you won't. Do better. Be Better.

I'm sure LE has training in de-escalation, at least I would think they do. But why do you feel that it is not right for them to match energy with like energy? Why must they de-escalate in your opinion?

You've got a tinted car that is difficult to see through, a state that floridaorange mentioned you are legally allowed to carry (I have no idea whether you can or not though being a Canadian - and he didn't say Tyreek had a gun, just that he would be legally allowed to have one) - the cop doesn't know who has one and who doesn't every time they walk up on a tinted vehicle, so it seems reasonable to me that you would assume everyone has one until proven otherwise, just to keep yourself safe and situationally aware.

From there, you have an entitled clown in the form of Tyreek Hill who is disobeying lawful orders and barking at the officer to "give him his ticket so he isn't late". Why is it on the cop to de-escalate this situation then? All that does is further breed this sense of entitlement that I think is prevalent in a certain generation who has been raised with little discipline and even fewer consequences across a broad range of parents from all races. It isn't a race thing. Its an attitude / behaviour issue. Maybe next time he just keeps his window down, accepts the ticket and then pursues legal (and rightful) actions to fight the ticket if he disagrees with it?

None of this had to go the way it did. But it did because of Tyreek's actions. It isn't racism.
Appreciate 7
Sedan_Clan26655.00
T0RM3NT4425.00
vreihen1619086.50
dradernh4811.50
Kaizer84108.50
      09-11-2024, 10:11 AM   #8367
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I'm sure LE has training in de-escalation, at least I would think they do. But why do you feel that it is not right for them to match energy with like energy? Why must they de-escalate in your opinion?

You've got a tinted car that is difficult to see through, a state that floridaorange mentioned you are legally allowed to carry (I have no idea whether you can or not though being a Canadian - and he didn't say Tyreek had a gun, just that he would be legally allowed to have one) - the cop doesn't know who has one and who doesn't every time they walk up on a tinted vehicle, so it seems reasonable to me that you would assume everyone has one until proven otherwise, just to keep yourself safe and situationally aware.

From there, you have an entitled clown in the form of Tyreek Hill who is disobeying lawful orders and barking at the officer to "give him his ticket so he isn't late". Why is it on the cop to de-escalate this situation then? All that does is further breed this sense of entitlement that I think is prevalent in a certain generation who has been raised with little discipline and even fewer consequences across a broad range of parents from all races. It isn't a race thing. Its an attitude / behaviour issue. Maybe next time he just keeps his window down, accepts the ticket and then pursues legal (and rightful) actions to fight the ticket if he disagrees with it?

None of this had to go the way it did. But it did because of Tyreek's actions. It isn't racism.
Agreed! To add to this, in the second video posted, you can see Hill making furtive movements in the car as he looks around the vehicle, and he also engages his seat belt. In my mind, I would immediately begin asking myself the following questions because the behavior is suspicious….
  • Does he have drugs?
  • Does he have a weapon?
  • Is he going to shoot me through this tinted glass?
  • Is he preparing to drive away from this legal detention?
  • If he speeds away, do I have enough to engage in a pursuit?
  • Do the risks of a pursuit outweigh the potential benefits of chasing/catching him (..e.g. risk to the public)?

It’s the kind of thing that will make the hair on the back of the neck of any street cop stand up.
Appreciate 5
vreihen1619086.50
jamesinaz1803.00
dradernh4811.50
      09-11-2024, 10:23 AM   #8368
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

This one admittedly made me laugh (…for those who haven’t seen it):

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_rV-...05aGRjOWVsbg==
Appreciate 3
Buug95921301.50
jamesinaz1803.00
      09-11-2024, 11:02 AM   #8369
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If someone gets sentenced 325 to life (wtf?), why is there need to register as a sex offender? Possibility of parole????
      09-11-2024, 11:10 AM   #8370
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If someone gets sentenced 325 to life (wtf?), why is there need to register as a sex offender? Possibility of parole????
That’s a great question. I think it’s just something that is par for the course with the sentencing (…even if it doesn’t make much practical sense).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 11:36 AM   #8371
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

When was the last time a school bus came anywhere NEAR close to being hit by a train? Related, how often are they rear-ended for stopping at tracks?
      09-11-2024, 11:45 AM   #8372
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
When was the last time a school bus came anywhere NEAR close to being hit by a train? Related, how often are they rear-ended for stopping at tracks?
We have major railways that run through my patrol area and the occasional suicide-by-train incident (…although Oceanside and Carlsbad have significantly more; about 30 year-to-date). There haven’t been any school bus/train incidents that I can recall……thankfully! That isn’t a call I would ever want to get.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 12:10 PM   #8373
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When was the last time a school bus came anywhere NEAR close to being hit by a train?
Two years ago in Illinois:

Let's not forget the fatal Fox River Grove, Illinois school bus versus train accident in 1995:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_F...rain_collision
      09-11-2024, 12:29 PM   #8374
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Two years ago in Illinois:

Let's not forget the fatal Fox River Grove, Illinois school bus versus train accident in 1995:
So, 2 in 30 years?
      09-11-2024, 01:16 PM   #8375
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
This one admittedly made me laugh (…for those who haven’t seen it):

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_rV-...05aGRjOWVsbg==
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #8376
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Because we all know they'll be out on parole eventually.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 03:48 PM   #8377
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, 2 in 30 years?
That was my quick web search.

In NY State, we also have similar restrictions on all tanker trucks where they can't make right turns on red and must stop at all railroad crossings.

We have train vs car/truck and train vs pedestrian accidents in our region almost weekly. The latest one was a pedestrian killed by a Metro North commuter train on the Hudson line Sunday morning, which doesn't have many grade crossings since it used to be the New York Central's mainline to Chicago.....
      09-11-2024, 04:42 PM   #8378
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

But all these train crashes seem to be when the guard has come down on something stopped on the tracks. If the guard is up and the light it green, why stop and risk getting stuck??? Uncontrolled crossings- where it started according to school-house-rock back on Saturday morning cartoons - I can see.
      09-11-2024, 04:46 PM   #8379
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
But all these train crashes seem to be when the guard has come down on something stopped on the tracks. If the guard is up and the light it green, why stop and risk getting stuck??? Uncontrolled crossings- where it started according to school-house-rock back on Saturday morning cartoons - I can see.
Interestingly, we have a significant number of drivers get stuck on railroad tracks. It’s the most unusual driving behavior I’ve ever seen. There are so many horrible drivers behind the wheel of motor vehicles these days.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 04:53 PM   #8380
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly, we have a significant number of drivers get stuck on railroad tracks. It’s the most unusual driving behavior I’ve ever seen. There are so many horrible drivers behind the wheel of motor vehicles these days.
We had one here a few years ago kill someone. Turned right at the crossing ONTO the track. Got out and left the car there and walked away (DUI?) and derailed the train.
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 04:55 PM   #8381
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
We had one here a few years ago kill someone. Turned right at the crossing ONTO the track. Got out and left the car there and walked away (DUI?) and derailed the train.
That’s such a horrible situation. The person likely was high or drunk.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 08:03 PM   #8382
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
So now Tyreek had a gun? lol smh ignore list for you, clown
I wish you the best sir.
Attached Images